Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Same bugs as with he last version: desync in sound when skeleton archers deal damage, framerate is all over the place (literally the same frame can jump between 10 and 60 frames), animation skips, Z-fighting in 2D textures. It's playable tho, just rough.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Game's gone gold.
Wait, how does that work? It's gone gold, meaning the release version is out, and yet it isn't? Is this some newfangled abuse of the term? In the old days, gone gold meant that the release version was being pressed out. Obviously, there is no longer a master disk in digital distribution, so that should mean it's out now. Instead it's not actually going to happen for a month? What is this?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
My best guess is that the feature set has been frozen and they will focus on bugs and performance now

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
That's not what the term means.
My best guess is that for them it means that the feature set has been frozen and they will focus on bugs and performance now

I played a game yesterday. While I appreciate the turn based combat a lot, the overworld/strategic stage is not on par with FFH2.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Well, release in 25 days.
Unfortunately, I'm feeling some déjà vu, having lived through Elemental: War of Magic's release.
Complaints by the testers were loud and strong, but Stardock kept answering that they had their internal build, that things were under control, that the date could not possibly be moved and so on.

At this point I'm sure that most of the issues about the clumsy UI, the sub-par world map and things like that won't be addressed in ANY way during this final stretch.
This is imho a big mistake, because testers started using them while expecting something better to come, then eventually got used to them the way they were and kept playing.
I'm not at all sure the general public and reviewers will follow the same "arc": I fear they'll just observe that the map is ugly, the UI is clumsy and move on.
And then there's the bugs, the AI and everything else of course.
Now, it's not all gloom, there are a few things to consider on the positive side:
  • The "Elemental Situation" was disastrous because, under the bugs and the issues, there was a soulless, lifeless game. That's not the case here.
  • The team has shown a great capacity of "sticking to the plan" (actually, too much, you might argue). This means that these final 25 days of focused bug-fixing and polishing (features being locked) will increase the game's readiness state at a much improved rate. It's true, in other words, that we cannot use the previous bug-fixing rate as a meter.
  • The AI at release, imho, is not as crucial as other aspects of the game. Players have still to learn themselves how to optimize their strategies and how to abuse of the AI's limits. As long as they keep working on it after release, we're fine (of course not all players will have the same attitude or patience here).
All in all, the game will be somewhat bare-bones at release, and presentation will not be its strong feature (I'm thinking, for instance, about the tactical battles).
As I stated many times, I can be patient and I'd happily buy an Expansion to get, eventually, a game that can even surpass MoM.
The question is how this release will play out and how it will impact WI's plans.
Crossing fingers.

Torrasque01

Augur
As I stated many times, I can be patient and I'd happily buy an Expansion to get, eventually, a game that can even surpass MoM.

I don't think that's reasonable. If the game on release won't even be on par with MoM, I'll be very angry with hoverdog for hyping us up so much.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
pine-tar-making-dsc01934.jpg

1i3p04.jpg

rvm1975

Educated
The AI at release, imho, is not as crucial as other aspects of the game. Players have still to learn themselves how to optimize their strategies and how to abuse of the AI's limits. As long as they keep working on it after release, we're fine (of course not all players will have the same attitude or patience here).

Good example of game with very poor AI but still successful is Endless Legend

According to bugs it is ok if they related to mechanics, some missed issues etc like dominions 3-4 years non stop bug-fixing

But Stardock's everlasting crashes, save games that can not be loaded that is another level

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Well, release in 25 days.
Unfortunately, I'm feeling some déjà vu, having lived through Elemental: War of Magic's release.
Complaints by the testers were loud and strong, but Stardock kept answering that they had their internal build, that things were under control, that the date could not possibly be moved and so on.

At this point I'm sure that most of the issues about the clumsy UI, the sub-par world map and things like that won't be addressed in ANY way during this final stretch.
This is imho a big mistake, because testers started using them while expecting something better to come, then eventually got used to them the way they were and kept playing.
I'm not at all sure the general public and reviewers will follow the same "arc": I fear they'll just observe that the map is ugly, the UI is clumsy and move on.
And then there's the bugs, the AI and everything else of course.
Now, it's not all gloom, there are a few things to consider on the positive side:
  • The "Elemental Situation" was disastrous because, under the bugs and the issues, there was a soulless, lifeless game. That's not the case here.
  • The team has shown a great capacity of "sticking to the plan" (actually, too much, you might argue). This means that these final 25 days of focused bug-fixing and polishing (features being locked) will increase the game's readiness state at a much improved rate. It's true, in other words, that we cannot use the previous bug-fixing rate as a meter.
  • The AI at release, imho, is not as crucial as other aspects of the game. Players have still to learn themselves how to optimize their strategies and how to abuse of the AI's limits. As long as they keep working on it after release, we're fine (of course not all players will have the same attitude or patience here).
All in all, the game will be somewhat bare-bones at release, and presentation will not be its strong feature (I'm thinking, for instance, about the tactical battles).
The question is how this release will play out and how it will impact WI's plans.
Crossing fingers.
that WoM has gone gold has no real meaning other than marketing-speak, we will be doing more than simply fixing thangs up until the release date
Actually, we are still tweaking the UI and improving the game's QoL and general usability. for example, we've finally simplified the unit splitting mechanics which were rather counter-intuitive and we are going to overhaul the town gui's build panel. other than that, it's polish, bug-fixing, balance, and steady AI improvements. The world map look is the only thing we won't be able to improve before release.

mastroego

Arcane
Actually, we are still tweaking the UI and improving the game's QoL and general usability. for example, we've finally simplified the unit splitting mechanics which were rather counter-intuitive and we are going to overhaul the town gui's build panel. other than that, it's polish, bug-fixing, balance, and steady AI improvements. The world map look is the only thing we won't be able to improve before release.

You have to admit that it is a bit baffling though.

The map is perhaps the most "complained about" feature of the entire game.
People have been complaining about it since EA started. People are complaining about it now.
The map is no minor component of the game: it's the "mental gate" to the game world, especially for new players.
Now, if it's ugly (sorry, it kinda is. Keep in mind, even FE has a pleasant looking map) and/or not terribly functional, the impact might be relevant.

What can I say... if the map doesn't work, it won't be for lack of warning.
Ok, what's done is done, I guess. Let's hope reviewers and new users will be able to look past it! ;)

mastroego

Arcane
If the map looks crap, it'll be annoying. If the AI is crap, there is no game at all.

Pick one.

By that logic, why not half of one? Why not a tenth of one?
The game will be sold full price: it's not unreasonable to expect a workable AI and a decent map.

Besides, have you ever seen people complain about "peripheral" things like the GUI?
I have. It can be ugly, just as with everything else.
I can live with the map and UI as they are, that's not the point. I was rooting for better chances when the gates for the "masses" will open.

DakaSha

Arcane
40 bucks for what is likely a buggy piece of shit with braindead ai. no thanks

mastroego

Arcane
It's definitely NOT a piece of shit but it IS buggy.

Won't even start for me and other players ATM.
The developers released the "more complete" internal build after beta testing a different version.
A la Elemental.

Trying to be zen and patient (the work-day I just had doesn't help).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still unavailable on GOG.

I think imma buy it even unfinished and put it aside for the time being, just to support the devs. What the hell, making a game isn't a cakewalk and shit happens, I'm not gonna be anal about it. Waited two years for Eador to get its shit together, meh. Better than wait 20 years to release a game with 3 isues...2 issues...1 issue remaining...52 micro-issues remainig. Amirite?

Map looks ugly, called it two years ago ITT when people still said it looks great. Personally I don't give a shit but it can be a problem from the PR standpoint, game journos are unabashed graphics whores and they're probably gonna bitch about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom