Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Give us a frame of reference. Have you played Heroes of Might and Magic, seeing as you try to compare this game to that? And if so, which iteration?
It makes a lot of difference if you're trying to compare HoMM V or HoMM II to this..

I played them all, but I was mostly referring to the HoMM 2-3-5 gameplay formula. Can you have a World of Magic session, just after a HoMM 3 one, without it feeling redundant?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Do you realize that Worlds of Magic has yet to be released? The kickstarter is just 18 minutes away from ending. How do I know how th game will be eventually?

Though, if they keep true to their promise of building a game like Master of Magic, then yes, you can easily play one after the other, as the experience they yield will be different.

Really though, go check out Master of Magic on gog.com. Buy it. It's worth it.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
They both (Master of Magic, HoMM) derived from Warlords, that's what I know.

5695-7-warlords.jpg
:love:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Loved Warlords. Loved Warlords2 even more. Hated Warlords3...

I wonder how well Worlds of Magic will measure up to Master of Magic. :M

Misconnected

Savant
If you're familiar with Dominions 3, think Dominions 3. It's basically a slightly modified and vastly more content-filled version of MoM.

If you don't know Dom (and you should, it's fantastic), think Civilization instead:

MoM starts you off with a city. The city has a few core characteristics, based on the terrain under its zone of control. Different structures can be built in the city, to modify its core characteristics and to allow the city to produce more buildings and various units. How well a city can exploit its characteristics, and how many it consumes, depends primarily on its population level (and what race the population is), and secondarily on what it has built.

As the game progresses you'll send out settlers to found additional cities, and armies to conquer foreign cities. The latter is how you gain cities with populations of races other than the one you started the game playing as.

Basically, it's just like Civilization. The 2 big differences are research and warfare.

Instead of chewing your way through a shared tech tree, MoM has a pile of much smaller tech trees, and just who can access them is very fluid.

Magic tech - the civilisation advancing techs - consists of a number of spells, each of which requires a certain amount of spell books in one or more spheres of magic to unlock. How many spheres a faction can access and how many books it has in each, is decided during match setup. The result is that different factions end up being able to research very different parts of one magic tech tree.

Construction tech - Building construction in cities - is pretty much the same for everyone, regardless of circumstances. But due to racial modifiers, different races can unlock certain combinations of buildings faster than others, and have an easier time supporting certain combinations of buildings.

Unit tech - the caveman to carrier stuff - is probably 75% race-specific. There's some basic unit types shared by all, but pretty much every type of combat unit can only be built by 1 race.

Like in earlier Civs, units move around the maps in stacks. But combat isn't stack vs. stack as in the earlier civs. Instead combat brings up a tactical map where you and your opponent move around your regiments, throw spells and fuck with each other. I guess that does sound almost exactly like HoMM, but it really isn't. Individual units in MoM are individual units, not stacks within a larger stack. MoM's tactical combat plays far more like a traditional wargame than HoMM. And despite the individual units being somewhat simpler than HoMM's, the combat as a whole is a fair bit more complex.

Finally, like in Call To Power, Age of Wonders and more recently Warlock, MoM is played across more than one dimension (2.. so not a lot more, but still), and neither one is just sitting there, waiting to get gobbled up. There's neutral factions running around, and a host of different sites that can fuck with you, and if subdued, provide significant advantages.

Probably the games that has most in common with MoM and which have actually been released at this time, are the Dominions games from Illwinter. The big fat difference between Dom & MoM (apart from amount of content), is that Dom has a province-based strategic map, while MoM has a borderless, tile-based one.

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
If you're familiar with Dominions 3, think Dominions 3. It's basically a slightly modified and vastly more content-filled version of MoM.

If you don't know Dom (and you should, it's fantastic), think Civilization instead:

MoM starts you off with a city. The city has a few core characteristics, based on the terrain under its zone of control. Different structures can be built in the city, to modify its core characteristics and to allow the city to produce more buildings and various units. How well a city can exploit its characteristics, and how many it consumes, depends primarily on its population level (and what race the population is), and secondarily on what it has built.

As the game progresses you'll send out settlers to found additional cities, and armies to conquer foreign cities. The latter is how you gain cities with populations of races other than the one you started the game playing as.

Basically, it's just like Civilization. The 2 big differences are research and warfare.

Instead of chewing your way through a shared tech tree, MoM has a pile of much smaller tech trees, and just who can access them is very fluid.

Magic tech - the civilisation advancing techs - consists of a number of spells, each of which requires a certain amount of spell books in one or more spheres of magic to unlock. How many spheres a faction can access and how many books it has in each, is decided during match setup. The result is that different factions end up being able to research very different parts of one magic tech tree.

Construction tech - Building construction in cities - is pretty much the same for everyone, regardless of circumstances. But due to racial modifiers, different races can unlock certain combinations of buildings faster than others, and have an easier time supporting certain combinations of buildings.

Unit tech - the caveman to carrier stuff - is probably 75% race-specific. There's some basic unit types shared by all, but pretty much every type of combat unit can only be built by 1 race.

Like in earlier Civs, units move around the maps in stacks. But combat isn't stack vs. stack as in the earlier civs. Instead combat brings up a tactical map where you and your opponent move around your regiments, throw spells and fuck with each other. I guess that does sound almost exactly like HoMM, but it really isn't. Individual units in MoM are individual units, not stacks within a larger stack. MoM's tactical combat plays far more like a traditional wargame than HoMM. And despite the individual units being somewhat simpler than HoMM's, the combat as a whole is a fair bit more complex.

Finally, like in Call To Power, Age of Wonders and more recently Warlock, MoM is played across more than one dimension (2.. so not a lot more, but still), and neither one is just sitting there, waiting to get gobbled up. There's neutral factions running around, and a host of different sites that can fuck with you, and if subdued, provide significant advantages.

Probably the games that has most in common with MoM and which have actually been released at this time, are the Dominions games from Illwinter. The big fat difference between Dom & MoM (apart from amount of content), is that Dom has a province-based strategic map, while MoM has a borderless, tile-based one.

:bro:

Definitively sounds different then. I'm going to get it on GoG.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Gameplay teaser:

in other news, I now work for this studio :oops:

some screens too:

battle map:

wom_gamescom_001.png

wom_gamescom_002.png

wom_gamescom_004.png

overland map (it's much more WIP)

wom_gamescom_102.png

wom_gamescom_103.png

City screen:

wom_gamescom_201.png

Last edited:

doomtrader

Novice
Hoverdog, nice screenshots you have got there.

I would love to hear your opinions about the game. We are working really hard on the game.

Indeed the world map is more WIP in terms of gfx, as most of the mechanics are already implemented. We are now working on wrapping all of the features and preparing the demo version for some volunteers at our forum.

If you like the progress, you can give us a hand by voting for Worlds of Magic at Steam greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138313793

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I hope it sells as well. Heck, I threw enough dough at their kickstarter campaign, that I should get any subsequent DLCs free of additional charge.

kris

Arcane
They both (Master of Magic, HoMM) derived from Warlords, that's what I know.

I know this is an old post, but I have to point out that this is not true. MoM is built upon Civilization, not Warlords. Quite clearly. HoMM have more similarities to Warlords, although I can't ascertain how much the really borrowed from it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom