Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief: The Dark Project turns 25

Will you be (re)playing Thief to celebrate?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

std::namespace

^ quality GAMEplay

Terenty

Liturgist
I played and beat both Thiefs and I just cant share the love for that series.

As a package they are far far below the original Deus Ex. They just feel basic in comparison. I know the stealth is far more advanced than DX, but overall just no.

Also there are only a few stand out levels and these levels stand out because the design is kinda close to DX.

Both Thiefs start out strong and then lose steam half way through and decline into complete boredom by the end, levels and story wise.

Looking Glass peaked with Ultima Underworlds and then started dumping down

jaekl

Educated
Patron
This part is where Garrett and I really aren't anywhere near being on the same page. Everyone knows that wizards are BAD NEWS - and Garrett seems to think it's cool to start working for this especially weird creeper wizard. You saw how fucked up his house was, Garrett, and he didn't even pay for the sword job! He just sends you into the haunted zombie ruins and promises he'll pay you this time. HELLOooo - wake up Garrett!! Plus his girl is real unsettling, I half expected this loser to ask Garrett to bang her while he watched. Never trust a sex weirdo, they're even worse than wizards.

dump024.png

Garrett blasts his way through hordes of undead creatures, crab men and burricks. Funny thing about the undead is that your basic shambling retard zombies are actually much harder to kill than ghosts and the dreaded hammer haunts, who easily fall to sword blows and then allow you to pick their corpse up and do whatever you want with it. This whole district only had like 40 creatures in it, kinda strange that no one has managed to reconquer it yet. Buncha weenies in this town.

Finding 2000 loot was also a pain in the ass, I can't believe there is still 600 unaccounted for, I was running back and forth through the empty streets, slipping on zombie guts and picking around in every crevice trying to find lone gems and chalices for half an hour

dump025.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This part is where Garrett and I really aren't anywhere near being on the same page. Everyone knows that wizards are BAD NEWS - and Garrett seems to think it's cool to start working for this especially weird creeper wizard. You saw how fucked up his house was, Garrett, and he didn't even pay for the sword job! He just sends you into the haunted zombie ruins and promises he'll pay you this time. HELLOooo - wake up Garrett!! Plus his girl is real unsettling, I half expected this loser to ask Garrett to bang her while he watched. Never trust a sex weirdo, they're even worse than wizards.

dump024.png

Garrett blasts his way through hordes of undead creatures, crab men and burricks. Funny thing about the undead is that your basic shambling retard zombies are actually much harder to kill than ghosts and the dreaded hammer haunts, who easily fall to sword blows and then allow you to pick their corpse up and do whatever you want with it. This whole district only had like 40 creatures in it, kinda strange that no one has managed to reconquer it yet. Buncha weenies in this town.

Finding 2000 loot was also a pain in the ass, I can't believe there is still 600 unaccounted for, I was running back and forth through the empty streets, slipping on zombie guts and picking around in every crevice trying to find lone gems and chalices for half an hour

dump025.png
Yeah, you missed a bunch of loot.
It's mostly scattered around in this mission.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Come one come all, because Garrett is rolling out the dead carpet at the mage tower!! I don't approve of Garrett's questionable decisions when it comes to employers, especially when he killed everyone in the thieves guild so he can pick and choose when it comes to jobs now. Not only is he working for a super sus magic user, but now he's taking orders from an evil cursed artifact. Seems like a retarded move, but at least it gives Garrett an excuse to bring the pain to a bunch of pajama wearing pussies. What's the difference between a mage and a wizard anyways? All Garrett knows for sure is that their guts all look the same.

dump026.png

66 kills in a single night, this has to be some kind of record. I bet they'll be so busy investigating all these murders and trying to figure out how all the body parts fit together that they won't even notice that Garrett stole every single thing of value in the tower. That's why Garrett is a true master thief, he knows the subtle art of misdirection better than anyone.

dump027.png

None

Scholar
Finished the game last night, all missions on expert. Cragscleft Prison was my favorite. Return to the Cathedral would have been if it was done differently in terms of enemies.

Ultimately the core issue I kept running into is that there was little incentive to try and stay unnoticed during an entire mission. Some missions clearly wanted me to, but the power of the blackjack would end up removing the need for continued stealth. Other missions wanted me to be a Paladin instead of a Thief. One even wanted me to be Mario. I outright skipped the last two missions as I was already tired of what was offered to me during Escape. Other missions like The Lost City and Undercover had implementations that didn't live up to the concept of the location or concept. The game felt all over the place, especially the further I progressed.

On its own I'd give it like a 6.5/10. The concept and ideas are there, but the execution isn't up to snuff. In an alternate universe where Thief was just the start of a long and heavily competed in genre, it'd be remarkable only as a progenitor. But because there is nothing else quite like it, it gets an 8/10. And because that score is one of relativity, I may end up changing it based on Thief 2 which is up next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom