Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Thimbleweed Park: A New Ron Gilbert Classic Point & Click Adventure

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I will think about this some more, but so far to me what you're saying amounts to "I like the feel of dialogue trees."
I don't really understand this point. I like adventure games with longish character dialogues. Having those dialogues as cutscenes isn't enjoyable (to me). That is a "feeling," I guess, but so what? A huge part of games is how they are experienced. Probably all of the 90s adventure games could've been done with CGA graphics without changing the mechanics of the gameplay, but they would be hugely inferior. Presumably Myst could've been done without the narrative frame (see, e.g., Escape the Room games) but that would've been inferior, too.

Also, another thing that I believe is worth considering is that all or most of the things you've mentioned do not really require dialogue trees, but merely dialogue lists. Which is a different logical structure. It would, of course, be interesting to compare the two in-depth.
The two terms are generally used interchangeably with respect to adventure games.

* I do believe that the "feeling of agency" that dialogue trees ostensibly provide is part of the 90s dialogue tree fetishism (which is characteristic of the Codex as a whole, as Fallout and PS:T show). That is also how I read your usage of "conventional".
You are misreading my usage. I meant "typically used in."

No, that's not what I mean. If an adventure game without dialogue trees can succeed at (most of) the same things that one with dialogue trees can succeed at, except if the latter is making some exceptional use of dialogue trees that I've yet to encounter in most adventure games (including the classic Lucas Arts ones), then yes, I believe dialogue trees are superfluous.

Saying that a graphical adventure game can succeed without tank controls is by comparison trivial and, yes, comes off as a bit disingenuous to me.
I still don't understand your point (and you haven't addressed Loom). Are you saying that tank controls vs. point-and-click is a trivial difference, but trees vs. no-trees is not? Are you saying that Loom does not "succeed at (most of) the same things" that other adventure games have? That GF does not?

and if you're looking for proof, then I don't think you've proven that dialogue trees are required either
It's silly to look for "proof" in a discussion over what makes a particular piece of art the way it is. But that said, I think the burden of persuasion is on you. As I said before, dialogue trees are present in basically every still-beloved adventure game of the point-and-click variety: all or almost all of the Lucas greats, GK and QFG, BASS and Broken Sword, Dragonsphere and Phantom, Simon the Sorcerer, and all of the modern adventure "classics" (Syberia, Longest Journey, all of the WEG games, all of the Tell Tale games, etc., etc.).

When a feature is so ubiquitous among beloved exemplars of a (sub)genre, the burden is on the person who says, "It's superfluous." Moreover, my general feeling is that when someone who does not particularly like a feature to begin with (and also doesn't necessarily love the (sub)genre or see it as special within the large genre) is the one saying the feature is superfluous, the burden should be higher there, too. "I don't like meat, and there's no meaningful difference between a veggie burger and a hamburger, and if you insist that you like hamburgers more, that's just because of your taste." That's not an irrational argument, but it's not a very persuasive one.

--EDIT--
You picked up on keywords, but my argument wasn't about keywords at all and I explicitly said I'm not really read to discuss them yet. Mea culpa for bringing them up I guess.
This is madness. I thought there was a discussion going on about dialogue systems; you posted several times about keywords; I had some thoughts and shared them. Your response is that I am atttacking "strawmen" and diverting the "argument" away from "prov[ing] that dialogue trees add anything" leaves me utterly befuddled. I thought this was a pleasant discussion about adventure game systems, not a confined but to-the-death struggle over the honor of dialogue trees.

Given my lack of interest in fighting for its own sake, and since I've made my points, I will leave others to carry out the battle, secure in the knowledge that righteous or not, dialogue trees have achieved total victory over the pagan ways that preceded them. :)

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
It is true that there is no content difference between a dialogue tree that permits five options and a keyword system that recognizes five keywords. But there is a huge difference in experience between them: the limits of a constrained system have a way of disappearing, whereas the limits of an unconstrained system appear over and over and over again.
That's questionable. Personally I find not being able to ask about certain things much more immersion-breaking than the "I don't know" responses.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like adventure games with longish character dialogues. Having those dialogues as cutscenes isn't enjoyable (to me). [...] A huge part of games is how they are experienced.

Um, anyone said anything about cutscenes?

That is a "feeling," I guess, but so what?

Yeah, my point exactly. The question is, can you do the same things in the same subgenre that dialogue trees do in LA games without dialogue trees? Mechanically and narrative-wise, yes, you can. The rest comes down to the feels. You want dialogue trees because those are more immersive or enjoyable to you. Like I said, fair enough.

I dunno why you suddenly brought up CGA against VGA, when you were previously talking about the graphics/no graphics (text adventure) binary. I guess you could've made Monkey Island in CGA and it would've been just as enjoyable, at least for its time?

Thanks for confirming that everything you say boils down to "experience", though. Which is exactly the argument I was making, and incidentally something distinct from mechanical or narrative considerations.

I still don't understand your point (and you haven't addressed Loom). Are you saying that tank controls vs. point-and-click is a trivial difference, but trees vs. no-trees is not? Are you saying that Loom does not "succeed at (most of) the same things" that other adventure games have? That GF does not?

If you believe that "you can do the same things without dialogue trees that Lucas Arts-style adventure games do with dialogue trees and make a great game in the same subgenre, some very specific stuff aside" -- which is what the initial Thimbleweed Park-related outrage was all about -- is so obscure, then fair enough, I don't think there's much point in arguing about this further.

It's silly to look for "proof" in a discussion over what makes a particular piece of art the way it is. But that said, I think the burden of proof is on you. As I said before, dialogue trees are present in basically every still-beloved adventure game of the point-and-click variety: all or almost all of the Lucas greats, GK and QFG, BASS and Broken Sword, Dragonsphere and Phantom, Simon the Sorcerer, and all of the modern adventure "classics" (Syberia, Longest Journey, all of the WEG games, all of the Tell Tale games, etc., etc.)..

The fact that they are present doesn't mean you can't do an adventure game in the same style with a similarly strong narrative (although did LA games really have strong narratives, of all things?) or atmosphere or what have you without them.

When a feature is so ubiquitous among beloved exemplars of a (sub)genre, the burden is on the person who says, "It's superfluous."

Not really. The burden is on the person who says "it is ubiquitous in this subgenre so that's what makes it what it is".

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
That's questionable. Personally I find not being able to ask about certain things much more immersion-breaking than the "I don't know" responses.
But it's even worse when asking about "you", an ubiquitous lore element or a similar plausible topic yields a "I don't know".

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is madness. I thought there was a discussion going on about dialogue systems; you posted several times about keywords; I had some thoughts and shared them. Your response is that I am atttacking "strawmen" and diverting the "argument" away from "prov[ing] that dialogue trees add anything" leaves me utterly befuddled. I thought this was a pleasant discussion about adventure game systems, not a confined but to-the-death struggle over the honor of dialogue trees.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure what about my calling two of your points strawmen led you to believe this is a life or death struggle. I thought this was the Codex so I didn't have to go all Warren Spector-like roundabout pleasantries on you. But whatever, your call.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Without dialogue trees there would be no Monkey Island fencing or The Shivah X-TREME rabbinism.

Case closed.

Crooked Bee

Patron
^ Good thing I covered those cases under "very specific stuff like Monkey Island's insult swordfighting" -- which has nothing to do with Thimbleweed Park or most LucasArts-style adventure games.

So no, case not closed.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I don't even know what these tldr walls of text are about anymore, I just came here to shitpost :dance:

V_K

Arcane
Which actual game do you think does this kind of stuff the best ?
That's a trickier question. :oops: Been awhile since I last played a keyword-based game.
Wizardry 6-8 probably. Or Ultima 6. Or some obscure thing I don't remember anymore :D
If list-based (i.e. without actually typing the keywords) systems count, then Arcatera - the dialog system was probably the only thing about this mess of a game that worked, but it worked brilliantly (scripting bugs notwithstanding).

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
List-based keywords is a castrated version of full featured dialogue trees in my opinion.
I'd say Ultima 6 is the best implementation I know of typable keywords (and most of them clickable), I think it works better in a RPG where your character is not... wel... very characterized than in an adventure game.
Don't know Arcatera, by the way :)

V_K

Arcane
List-based keywords is a castrated version of full featured dialogue trees in my opinion.
Not necessarily, good list-based games still give you a ton more options than trees. For example, Wiz8's combination of typable and listed keywords (plus the distinction of "talk about" and "where is" modes) is pretty neat.
But I agree that in principle list-based systems are the worst of both worlds, having neither the mechanical depth of keywords, nor the narrative depth of trees.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure what about my calling two of your points strawmen led you to believe this is a life or death struggle.
My belief arose from the method of your posts, which was to throw random accusations of dishonesty while avoiding substantive engagement on any point that could yield fruitful discussion but would not advance your almost-literally-quixotic anti-tree quest. Obviously it's the Codex, but the Codex tends to have two parallel tracks, one in which design ideas are discussed seriously and substantively in the hope of improving the art form, the other in which people mock and provoke each other for the lulz. I had assumed we were on the first track. Was I wrong?

But if you really crave a response, who am I to say no to one of Primordia's great promoters?

Let me start with what I think is the root of the debate. I can't tell if there is genuine miscommunication here, or bad-faith arguing on your side. I'll assume the former.

The way a player "experiences" a game includes many things that are non-mechanical. These include, without limitation: (1) quality of art (provided the art meets a baseline at which objects can be seen and "read"); (2) quality of writing (provided the writing meets a baseline at which mechanically necessary information is no easier or harder to understand); (3) music (except in rare circumstances where there is a musical puzzle); (4) voice acting and most sound effects; (5) many aspects of the interface; and (6) humor.

Thus, you could have a demake of Monkey Island 2 in which unanimated CGA sprites glided around the environment, all text was purely functional, there was no music or sound, and you had to use an XBox controller. The only things changed would be "experiential." But unless you have a rare worldview, you wouldn't say, "That proves that the art, sound, text, and humor of Monkey Island was all superfluous. All the game needed were verbs and objects and gamespace."

It seems like my statement that changing the dialogue method would change the game's "feel" is, to you, a concession of the argument, enough to prompt a victory dance akin to my admitting I just want walking simulators. But, as I hope the above discussion makes clear, "feel" or "experience" is as much a part of what makes a particular game that particular game as the mechanics. Games with very similiar mechanics can be very different because of the wrapping around those mechanics. You may be part of a tiny percentage of gamers for whom the wrapping is irrelevant, but you can't generalize from that to the idea that wrapping is "superfluous."

In adventure games, dialogue trees have a lot to do with experiential gameplay (what kind of dialogue can be used, the rhythm of the dialogue, and the player's connection to the dialogue) and a little bit to do with mechanical gameplay (some examples have been given, like insult sword fighting or interrogations). To the extent your point is that dialogue trees are mostly superfluous to mechanical gameplay, then I agree with you. But that can't have been what you meant, because you wrote:
f Ron Gilbert doesn't want to spend his time on something superfluous like that, the more power to him. The game won't stand or fall in virtue of having or not having dialogue trees -- but solely in virtue of being or not being a good adventure game, with good atmosphere, puzzles, and writing.
Except in very rare circumstances, "good atmosphere" and "writing" are also "superfluous" to mechanical gameplay. So presumably you mean something broader about superfluity.

Now, maybe what you mean is, "You can have a great adventure game without dialogue trees, but you cannot have a great adventure game without good writing." But that doesn't seem to me to be true. Dropsy has no "writing" at all, yet I suspect it will be quite good.

You next said:
[D]ialogue trees are superfluous for this subgenre unless you are a 90s dialogue tree fetishist.
From this, I understand you to mean "superfluous" not in a clinical sense (i.e., "not essential to excellence"), but in a more pejorative sense (i.e., "pointless"). In fact, that is the sense that I had picked up on earlier on, and to which I was responding.

In trying to figure out if that was what you meant, I gave other examples of mechanics that are not essential to excellence: inventories (see Loom) and point-and-click controls (see GF). I asked whether you would say that therefore inventories and point-and-click controls are superfulous to golden-age-style adventure games. Your response is a non-response: you call the question disingenuous, trivial, etc. From this, I conclude that you are not willing to call those elements "superfluous," which means either you don't think Loom and GF are good games (?) or you are using "superfluous" in a pejorative way.

If that is your meaning (i.e., that dialogue trees are stupid and worthless), I think you are quite wrong. Dialogue trees permit lengthy inter-character dialogues without stopping the player's interaction. You may think it is entirely coincidental that almost every adventure game (and RPG?) with memorable characters had dialogue trees (obviously, there are a handful of exceptions), but that would be a tremendous coincidence. My position is that it is not coincidental; that dialogue trees are the best alternative to cutscenes for interesting character interactions, and since endless cutscenes are intolerable for most people who are not jRPG fans, dialogue trees are the only way to write such interactions in a good adventure game.

As for who bears the burden of persuasion, I subscribe to the Burkean/Chestertonian view that when you come across a fence in a meadow, you don't tear it down because you can't see a reason for its being there; rather, you need a good reason for its not being there. Almost every really good golden age adventure game had dialogue trees. You say, "So what, take them out." I say, "Don't take them out unless you are confident that it will not deprive the games of their essential character." That character is not purely mechanical; indeed, I would say that it is primarily experiential. While players do remember a few puzzles from golden age adventure games, they remember the characters, music, imagery, etc., vividly. Other than the stupid Road Rash segment, I can't remember any puzzle from Full Throttle, but I can picture the whole game almost start-to-finish. That's not because puzzles are superfluous -- puzzles are the framework on which the whole thing hangs. But the wrapping on that framework is very important.

Finally:
You want dialogue trees because those are more . . . enjoyable to you.
Isn't that what everything boils down to in the end? Are there actually aspects of a game that you want despite them having no impact on your enjoyment of the game? I would think those aspects are truly superfluous.

Anyway, it's not that dialogue trees in-and-of themselves are enjoyable -- I actually dislike them because I am the kind of player who feels obliged to mine them of everything, which is usually boring and annoying. I like dialogue trees because they facilitate the kinds of stories that I enjoy filled with the kinds of characters I enjoy. Since you yourself said that a "good story" is a sine qua non of a good adventure game, it seems we're in the same place.

Crooked Bee

Patron
If you honestly don't think my analysis contained anything "seriously and substantively" relevant, then to be honest there really isn't much we can discuss further. Because I do believe you didn't really address any of my points in a substantive way either.

On that note, what I like or dislike is beside the point. What I care about is clarity, which we don't seem to be able to achieve. You think it's my fault, I think it's your fault; whatever. Case in point:

To the extent your point is that dialogue trees are mostly superfluous to mechanical gameplay, then I agree with you. But that can't have been what you meant, because you wrote:

f Ron Gilbert doesn't want to spend his time on something superfluous like that, the more power to him. The game won't stand or fall in virtue of having or not having dialogue trees -- but solely in virtue of being or not being a good adventure game, with good atmosphere, puzzles, and writing.

Except in very rare circumstances, "good atmosphere" and "writing" are also "superfluous" to mechanical gameplay. So presumably you mean something broader about superfluity.

I honestly don't know how to reply to this, and I'm not assuming any bad faith here. Yes, dialogue trees are superfluous to an adventure game having "good atmosphere, puzzles, and writing." However, having "good atmosphere" and "writing" are definitely not superfluous to an adventure game having "good atmosphere, puzzles, and writing."

I guess the fact you made me resort to a tautology means that we're just talking past each other.

If we skip that part, though, what it seems to boil down to is your emphasis on experience and feeling, which I absolutely reject as a viable category of video game analysis.

The only question that matters to me is: "Can dialogue trees do anything in a Lucas Arts-style adventure game that cannot be done without them?" Being "part of the experience" means nothing unless you can describe it in non-nostalgic terms. As Darth Roxor pointed out, insult swordfighting and the like are one thing. Responses to puns is another. Player agency is yet another, with which, however, I disagree. Aside from that, you've got nothing substantial. Some say dialogue trees are an "evolution" over non-dialogue tree adventure games, but I don't see anything that would prove that to any degree -- except that "LucasArts / 90s games experience".

So, like I said, except for some highly specific things, dialogue trees cannot do or contribute anything that non-dialogue tree adventure games cannot do, except of course for someone who already is a Lucas Arts fan. If Ron Gilbert wanted to make use of dialogue trees in Thimbleweed Park in a manner that would utilize their full potential (assuming there is such a potential, which would be limited to some very specific cases), then yes, I would agree the game requires them. If that doesn't fit into his design vision and a portion of the fans simply want them to be there for their own sake, though, then he can safely tell them to piss off -- and the game loses nothing in virtue of him doing that.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The only question that matter to me is: "Can dialogue trees do anything in a Lucas Arts-style adventure game that cannot be done without them?"
Allow lengthy inter-character dialogues that are not cutscenes.

I honestly don't know how to reply to this, and I'm not assuming any bad faith here. Yes, dialogue trees are superfluous to an adventure game having "good atmosphere, puzzles, and writing." However, having "good atmosphere" and "writing" are definitely not superfluous to an adventure game having "good atmosphere, puzzles, and writing."
Here are three yes/no questions:

Given your meaning of "superfluous":

(1) Are atmosphere and quality writing superfluous to a good adventure game in this subgenre?

(2) Are artistically interesting graphics and memorable music superfluous to a good adventure game in this subgenre?

(3) Are inventory puzzles and point-and-click controls superfluous to a good adventure game in this subgenre?

I think answers would really help me understand what you're trying to say. To the extent your answer to #1 or #2 is "no," a follow-up question:

"Can [atmosphere/writing/artistically interesting graphics/memorable music] do anything in a Lucas Arts-style adventure game that cannot be done without them?" If so, what? (Note, improving the player's enjoyment or changing his experience of the game are apparently not viable answers.)

Crooked Bee

Patron
The reason why I think we're talking past each other, is that those questions are ridiculous -- and loaded to the extent that made me suspect you were being disingenuous (for which I apologize since this is more of being unable to find any theoretical common ground). So yeah, let's just leave this particular aspect at that.

Allow lengthy inter-character dialogues that are not cutscenes.

Like I said earlier, some highly specific mechanical or narrative cases aside (Monkey Island's swordfighting), that kind of inter-character dialogue boils down to "tell me more about X" or "this particular aspect of X" or simply "go on". And again, like I said, aside from some highly specific stuff there is nothing besides that that is exclusive to dialogue trees. Keywords, tone+keywords, or just context-sensitive NPC dialogue including stuff like showing a specific item or map or w/e to a character can do all of that just fine -- points 1 and 2 in your previous keyword-related post notwithstanding (because those can be worked around). The rest, again, boils down to the elusive and undefinable "agency" or "experience".

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Isn't the dialog tree "à la Monkey Island" a good method for the player to know exactly what the PC will say ?
Therefore it is an important tool for setting the mood, and to let the player have a sense of roleplaying the aforementioned character.

As Bee absolutely wants to discuss it from a gameplay point of view, it would have worked quite well with Sierra's die-and-retry gameplay if some dialog choices led to death or a nice dead-end one hour later :D
Explora 2 had this in 1989 by the way, dialog trees, deaths and dead ends :)
Who can think of an older implementation in an adventure game ?

It is also a very good tool for allowing to have hints in a dialog, allowing the NPC to repeat only the desired topics.
"Tell me again about XXX" means XXX is important for game solving.
And it allows deprecated topics to be removed, whereas you can still ask about old keywords, so the developers have to maintain consistency of the answers throughout game context change.

Edit: By the way, what game does "mood + keyword" ? It would be a combinatorial nightmare for the content writer.
I think speak

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Edit: By the way, what game does "mood + keyword" ? It would be a combinatorial nightmare for the content writer.

Not really. Something like Primordia doesn't have that many NPCs who have deep dialogue trees anyway. Or even Monkey Island 1 for that matter. Also, that depends on how many variations in tone you want to have. Daggerfall only had 3 -- which is something that can be easily expanded on in a 6 to 8-hour long adventure game, even with good, non-Bethesda writing.

Also, I finally found that post by VD I was talking about earlier: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=414.0 I can't say I agree with everything unconditionally, but I do agree with some of its basic ideas. I might do a lengthier post about this next week, once my mind is mostly off the work-related stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My impression of dialogue options in Monkey Island is that they were a technique for delivering additional comedy, basically. You had the "straight man" answer, the snarky answer, the bonkers answer, etc. It's not that they had any real effect, but the dialogue list itself was extra space to write jokes. Even if you didn't actually select one of those funny dialogue choices, just reading them was like seeing somebody riff on the game.

So, you can imagine an adventure game without dialogue trees, but with some kind of snarky rifftrack providing funny commentary on what your character is doing/saying. That might provide a similar effect, although it would be more constrained.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Not really. Something like Primordia doesn't have that many NPCs who have deep dialogue trees anyway. Or even Monkey Island 1 for that matter. Also, that depends on how many variations in tone you want to have. Daggerfall only had 3 -- which is something that can be easily expanded on in a 6 to 8-hour long adventure game, even with good, non-Bethesda writing.
The problem with typable keywords is that the player EXPECT to be given a reasonable answer to any reasonable subject. Should every character in Monkey Island have something to say about LeChuck or Elaine ? What is gained ? The alternative "I don't want to talk about this" is even worse.
And it would waste a lot of good writing (more probably writing wouldn't be as good on every subject).
A few select options is a much more reasonable development choice.

Crooked Bee

Patron
My impression of dialogue options in Monkey Island is that they were a technique for delivering additional comedy, basically. You had the "straight man" answer, the snarky answer, the bonkers answer, etc. It's not that they had any real effect, but the dialogue list itself was extra space to write jokes. Even if you didn't actually select one of those funny dialogue choices, just reading them was like seeing somebody riff on the game.

So, you can imagine an adventure game without dialogue trees, but with some kind of snarky rifftrack providing funny commentary on what your character is doing/saying. That might provide a similar effect, although it would be more constrained.

I can easily imagine humorous keywords, or tone-keyword combinations though. Or just responding by doing something (the most basic case being showing an item to the character in question, though it doesn't have to be limited to that).

The problem with typable keywords is that the player EXPECT to be given a reasonable answer to any reasonable subject. Should every character in Monkey Island have something to say about LeChuck or Elaine ? What is gained ? The alternative "I don't want to talk about this" is even worse.
And it would waste a lot of good writing (more probably writing wouldn't be as good on every subject).

If a character isn't expected to know anything about LeChuck, saying "I don't know anything about that" is okay. Figuring out what this particular character knows or doesn't, is part of the game -- and part of the writer's task when writing the characters.

Not to mention that in MI there aren't that many notable dialogue options (such as LeChuck or Elaine) available at all, so it shouldn't be too hard for a good writer to come up with several character-specific humorous responses for characters who have heard of LeChuck, even if they may not have anything truly substantial to say about him. That can contribute to the comedy, too. Again, it's not like there are a whole lot of NPCs with dialogue trees in MI either.

Simply suggesting a list of dialogue options instead comes across as a lazier option to me, if anything.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
There's not even enough lines for useless object interactions in most adventure games, I can't imagine the writers wanting to have to write 3 flavours of text for all reasonable keywords in a game, even a short one.

But every character in MI has heard of "LeChuck", "Melee Island", "Stan" and so on.
You call this lazy, I call this the only reasonable way. And quality of writing for the plethoric implementation you suggest would suffer badly.

Crooked Bee

Patron
There not being enough lines is part of the problem, too, to some extent at least. Primordia had 6400 lines of dialogue -- do you honestly believe that's not enough to write a fairly good keyword system? What if the adventure game in question had two or even (gasp) a team of writers?

You call this lazy, I call this the only reasonable way. And quality of writing for the plethoric implementation you suggest would suffer badly.

On that note, I can agree that dialogue trees came about as a means of economy -- but I disagree about them being a natural evolution or a "better" option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom