Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News This Is Like That Thing Annie Carlson Is Working On

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
no said:
Also, what's an ESF'er?

You have been here since 2006 and don't know what that is? :shock:

Texas Red

Whiner
no said:
Also, what's an ESF'er?

An ESFer aka "ESF refugee" is a person who formerly posted on the official Elder's Scroll Forums until their admins started banning anyone who even questioned Oblivion's superiority. Kind of like the Spanish Inquisition. The Codex was the only place where there weren't idiots indoctrinated by Pete Hynes' lies and perceived Oblivion for the piece of shit that it was. Unfortunately older Codexers were nazi assholes and were displeased with an invasion of noobs who didn't know their intricate culture and memes.

Since you joined a year before skyshit, you have senior authority over him. You can disregard him for anything that he does, since he is a noob. He pwned himself with this post.

Lingwe

Liturgist
ITS trying to do something non-mainstream is good and all, but tell me, dear ESF'er, how do you know that ITS is a saviour of quality RPG gaming - what if ITS games will turn out to be worse than mediocre?

Isn't the question what will you do if they turn out to be good *nudge *nudge?

As to whether the quality of the games is good or not the only ones who can reliably tell us that are Vault Dweller and the other guys working on it since they have actually seen the full game (full as in full up to this moment). The rest of us have to make an informed guess based upon the infomation that has been supplied to us, and considering the opinions of most people here the aspects of game design have been most favourable. So far everything that has been shown has been higher quality than other recent RPGs, so normally it would be natural to assume that the rest of the game will also be high quality (I'm assuming you aren't listing high quality particle effects as part of the game design). Taking the view that a game that has shown high quality design so far will actually end up really substandard requires a special kind of optimism.

quasimodo

Augur
MetalCraze said:
I believe he'd meant gameplay - not the LARP-story-driven things. I imagine making a good, tactical, rich on functionality turn-based party combat is much more difficult than making a "point a crosshair at an enemy and twitch". I don't doubt Mitsoda's ability in creating "role-" part of the gameplay, what about "playing" part? VtmB and SoZ had awful combat, not that I'm saying that Annie or Brian are responsible for that, however it surely doesn't add to the experience.

Skyway actually does have a very good point. I do hope that they put in the time and effort to produce some quality TB combat. I've not seen any good RPG combat since ToEE and Troika forgot to include the rest of the game. I would really like someone actually get it all right for a change.

Silellak

Cipher
Dark Individual said:
no said:
Also, what's an ESF'er?

An ESFer aka "ESF refugee" is a person who formerly posted on the official Elder's Scroll Forums until their admins started banning anyone who even questioned Oblivion's superiority. Kind of like the Spanish Inquisition. The Codex was the only place where there weren't idiots indoctrinated by Pete Hynes' lies and perceived Oblivion for the piece of shit that it was. Unfortunately older Codexers were nazi assholes and were displeased with an invasion of noobs who didn't know their intricate culture and memes.

Since you joined a year before skyshit, you have senior authority over him. You can disregard him for anything that he does, since he is a noob. He pwned himself with this post.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

quasimodo said:
MetalCraze said:
I believe he'd meant gameplay - not the LARP-story-driven things. I imagine making a good, tactical, rich on functionality turn-based party combat is much more difficult than making a "point a crosshair at an enemy and twitch". I don't doubt Mitsoda's ability in creating "role-" part of the gameplay, what about "playing" part? VtmB and SoZ had awful combat, not that I'm saying that Annie or Brian are responsible for that, however it surely doesn't add to the experience.

Skyway actually does have a very good point. I do hope that they put in the time and effort to produce some quality TB combat. I've not seen any good RPG combat since ToEE and Troika forgot to include the rest of the game. I would really like someone actually get it all right for a change.

That's actually my biggest concern with AoD. Not that it's going to suddenly become real-time. It's that I'm not sure that there's a significant difference when you don't have a squad/party. The whole advantage of TB is that it supposedly encourages greater tactical challenge by enabling greater player control. I agree, when it comes to group combat. But I've never encountered a game where you only control one unit and there is any difficulty whatsoever entering commands in RT. I also can't see there being enough variation with just 1 unit for 'chess' tactics to come into play. Sure, there's strategy available in building different kinds of character. But the tactics still amount to 'what skills shall I use and when' - which in a single unit game, is the same for both RT and TB. In a one unit vs small group there simply isn't enough variation in moves and outcome for TB tactics to play a major role - just like in RT it's either going to be a case of 'you're strong enough to win or you very clearly aren't'.

Not that I'm dissing TB - I just don't think that a game without a squad/party is a good way of showing the gaming world its strengths,

Rhalle said:
Volourn said:
Mitsoda > Carlson

He's awesome as evidenced by V:BL.

Hopefully he can teach her how to write as what was seen in SOZ was H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E

With one-in-a-hundred-million-exceptions, women simply can't write. Not really, anyway.

Lots of reading and practice and faux-attitude can give you a woman that can learn to do all the tricks (and do them pretty well)-- but they always just skate on the surface.

Just for you Volourn: this is why Dragon Age has a 1 in 3 chance of being good.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein wants a word with you:)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Azrael the cat said:
In a one unit vs small group there simply isn't enough variation in moves and outcome for TB tactics to play a major role - just like in RT it's either going to be a case of 'you're strong enough to win or you very clearly aren't'.
We should know soon enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lingwe said:
Isn't the question what will you do if they turn out to be good *nudge *nudge?
...I will play it?
It isn't like I was saying that AoD looks bad, well at least it does look like a good ol' TB RPG - that's for sure. Although I'm sceptic about a TB combat for one guy - it never works perfectly.

no said:
Also, what's an ESF'er?

ESF'er is a member of Elder Scrolls Forums (not necessarily) or a guy that acts like one, signs of blind fanboyism etc.

Dark Individual said:
Still being butthurt over getting banned there? It's 2009, TWD, get over it.

Silellak

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Azrael the cat said:
In a one unit vs small group there simply isn't enough variation in moves and outcome for TB tactics to play a major role - just like in RT it's either going to be a case of 'you're strong enough to win or you very clearly aren't'.
We should know soon enough.

Thursday?

Double Ogre

Scholar
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 5#msg29765
Brian said:
AndhairaX said:
Hi DoubleBear (Brian and Annie)

I'm pretty pumped up to hear about your new project. I hope it not only sees light of day but is very successful, financially and otherwise.
You and me both!

AndhairaX said:
Anyhow some q's:

1)How is your studio being funded?
We're an independent developer, which means that we aren't being funded by a publisher and we are funding the project ourselves. It's also the reason we can't afford to employ fifty people at once. We wanted to do a project on our own terms and 100% own the property and all the profit it generates over time.

AndhairaX said:
2)Are you the only two employees or do you have a separate design team?
Right now, we're the only two official employees of DoubleBear, but the Iron Tower guys are going to be working on the title as well. Oscar has already completed some fantastic stuff for our project. And as mentioned, we/Iron Tower are adapting AoD code for our game.

AndhairaX said:
3)VD gave some hints over on the Codex that the game would not be fantasy. If true (and bit of a bummer if it is) why? Also, if its not fantasy and medieval what period is it set in? Future/post apoclyptic/sci fi? Some hints would be nice.
Our game won't be fantasy, no. Our game, as far as I can tell, is the first RPG to use this setting. It will make more sense, of course, when we release details on the game. People who have seen the design are kind of shocked no one has made this game before.

AndhairaX said:
4)Will you be able to make your own party at start or is it one pc at startup only?
Make your character, NPCs can join, player does not control NPCs directly but can give general commands.

AndhairaX said:
5)Will there be any sort of magic in the game (or psi if you will)
No magic whatsoever, as it wouldn't fit the setting. Though being a game, you can expect that there will be something that totally flies in the face of reality but makes sense in game logic.

AndhairaX said:
6)Are you liscensing any rulesystem to use or is it custom built from scratch?
Custom built. The system was the first thing we worked out.

AndhairaX said:
7) Is the game first person or third person?
Third. As we are using the AoD tech, it is going to utilize the same perspective as that game, although we've made some changes to the interface to fit our game's setting and the system changes.

Thanks for the questions! I'll be happy to answer any other questions people have, though I suspect in time a lot of them will be answered as we release more info on the game.

Andrej

Liturgist
Mitsodas work on BL & Motb has awed me and Annie's posts here on the codex have from what i've seen all been good and i've become convinced that she's got a decent head on those shoulders.

I'm also very glad to see that ITS is expanding and adding more stuff under their banner. Great job VD, you deserve some praise.

Data4

Arcane
Andihaira is either schizophrenic or the Codex's greatest troll ever. How can someone with the reputation he has here post decent, information-mining interview questions like that on the ITS boards?

Redlands

Arcane
Data4 said:
Andihaira is either schizophrenic or the Codex's greatest troll ever. How can someone with the reputation he has here post decent, information-mining interview questions like that on the ITS boards?

Isn't it obvious? He has honed his questioning skills to a fine art.

Pliskin

Arbiter
AndhairaX wrote:
3)VD gave some hints over on the Codex that the game would not be fantasy. If true (and bit of a bummer if it is) why? Also, if its not fantasy and medieval what period is it set in? Future/post apoclyptic/sci fi? Some hints would be nice.

Jay-zuz! Not only do you ask inane questions, but you give yr own inane answers! Fuck that derivative Tolkein D&D shit! There are a gabazillion games out there full of pointy-eared freaks with bows fighting hairy midgets with axes --- go play one.

Our game won't be fantasy, no. Our game, as far as I can tell, is the first RPG to use this setting. It will make more sense, of course, when we release details on the game. People who have seen the design are kind of shocked no one has made this game before.

Best thing I've heard about it so far. From this, and other hints, I'm assuming Modern Era of some type? If so, I am thoroughly down with it.

Andhaira wins the internet.

His answers inserted into the questions stung Mitsoda into backing his decisions, and thus we actually learned a bit more than a straight question would have provided. Now what could the setting be? Western? I cannot think of any other setting that has not at least gotten a horrid RPG in it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They already wrote what the setting would be somewhere on the website or ITS, I remember seeing it. Or something hinting at it.

BTW I pawed off to celebrate these good news. Woo.

Edit: "A turn-based RPG that emphasizes survival and escape as civilization begins to decay."

I also believe someone hinted at it being contemporary, but I wouldn't give too much trust into that info.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Castanova said:
Make your character, NPCs can join, player does not control NPCs directly but can give general commands.

This doesn't sound promising in a turn-based system... I hope they change this.

It sounds like utter shit actually, a perfect recipe for boring combat. It also tends to make your group feel like a bunch of people who just happen to be going the same places at the same time, rather than a coordinated team.

Interest in game -50% :-(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I thought it was alright in Fallout 2, this kind of system. Not perfect or even good, mind you. I do think tactical depth > "immersion".

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Castanova said:

This doesn't sound promising in a turn-based system... I hope they change this.

Doesn't bother me personally. Worked fine in Fallout1/2... provided you got out of their firing range. :lol:

Double Ogre

Scholar
Fallout's combat was mediocre at best. No actual tactics were involved. Once your combat skill is good enough, you just aim for the eyes and that's it.

mondblut

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Mitsoda also helped design VTM: Bloodlines.

An abysmally horrid game in every single aspect except characters and writing. That's exactly what I fear concerning "a game by writers". The fact it is based on externally designed setting and ruleset doesn't help much either.

In particular he designed the haunted house: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... c&start=81

That "let's play some Myst" level without a single combat encounter or dieroll? :roll: Thanks for reinforcing my scepticism.

He speaks proper stuff in the interview though. I just hope he won't get carried away with drama obsession at the expense of gameplay.

bhlaab

Erudite
I highly prefer uncontrollable NPCs and am therefore happy :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom