Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News This Is Like That Thing Annie Carlson Is Working On

Texas Red

Whiner
You bet I'm going to actually BUY ITS games. An outrageous thought to be sure.

Vince, how will the payments work? Can I just transfer money to your Swiss bank number and have you send me the game? Can the game be downloaded from your special site?

EDIT: Do you need a REAL man on the team?

Rhalle

Magister
Volourn said:
Mitsoda > Carlson

He's awesome as evidenced by V:BL.

Hopefully he can teach her how to write as what was seen in SOZ was H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E

With one-in-a-hundred-million-exceptions, women simply can't write. Not really, anyway.

Lots of reading and practice and faux-attitude can give you a woman that can learn to do all the tricks (and do them pretty well)-- but they always just skate on the surface.

Just for you Volourn: this is why Dragon Age has a 1 in 3 chance of being good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"With one-in-a-hundred-million-exceptions, women simply can't write. Not really, anyway."

u r dum

MetalCraze

Arcane
He's actually right - writing done by chicks in games is usually awful or at least very boring to read. Recent King's Bounty remake comes to mind (compare that to their own SR2 where writing was done by men). Not everyone can be Terri Brosius unfortunately.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I come back from work and learn of these news. Quite a nice surprise. I hope the game will feature a group of lunatics worshiping a book.

I wonder if I'll finish my Sailor Moon LP before their game is out ...

mondblut

Arcane
Nice news. However, I am sceptical about a project of two writers with likely very little of actual game *designing* experience. High risk of another IF with an actual gameplay of zero.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Dicksmoker said:
Azael said:
Great news. When it comes to characters and writing, Bloodlines comes pretty damn close to the quality of Torment.
No. It was a good game, but let's not get carried away, alright?

Close, but not quite all the way. Bloodlines had some really good dialog and interesting characters though.

Data4

Arcane
Castanova said:
Don't see much point in getting excited about this announcement. All we have are two names, one with some p good credits, one without. And a "trust me" from VD with respect to the design doc.

At this point, if Pete Hines was to tell me that grass is green and VD was to tell me it's purple, I'd take VD's word for it.

no

Novice
Ura, such a great news! My sincerest thanks and respect to you, Vince. Your project is really turning out to be not only the saviour of quality RPG gaming, but an initiative for putting all the wasted talent stuck on the multimedia-lobotomy industry to its proper use!

MetalCraze

Arcane
no said:
Ura, such a great news! My sincerest thanks and respect to you, Vince. Your project is really turning out to be not only the saviour of quality RPG gaming, but an initiative for putting all the wasted talent stuck on the multimedia-lobotomy industry to its proper use!

ITS trying to do something non-mainstream is good and all, but tell me, dear ESF'er, how do you know that ITS is a saviour of quality RPG gaming - what if ITS games will turn out to be worse than mediocre?

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Spectacle said:
Hopefully they'll be able to show other game developers that you don't need huge budgets to make good games

But they do apparently need huge melons.

Pliskin

Arbiter
winterraptor said:
Spectacle said:
Hopefully they'll be able to show other game developers that you don't need huge budgets to make good games

But they do apparently need huge melons.

I believe that's what is referred to in the industry as "Value Added".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
POOPERSCOOPER said:
So did Brian and Annie quit Obsidian to start an indie company or were they let go?
Brian left Obsidian. Obsidian did change the AP storyline and canned all Brian's characters for the game, so that probably had something to do with it. Nobody likes when his work is thrown out just because it's not AWSOME!!! enough.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MetalCraze said:
no said:

ITS trying to do something non-mainstream is good and all, but tell me, dear ESF'er, how do you know that ITS is a saviour of quality RPG gaming - what if ITS games will turn out to be worse than mediocre?
There are two kinds of games: SHIT! and SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! So, clearly AoD is either one or the other. Even we give it the undeserved benefit of the doubt, it's still gonna be SHIT!, so what's the point?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well I don't know about you but I believe that there are much more gradients of SHIT! than only two, perhaps you should widen your view on games?
I'm on the fence about AoD, it looks promising however that's it.

Benefit of the doubt and blind "OMG ITS saves RPG genre!" (even though you have 4 projects, 2 of which are in the eternal "when it's done" state and are like half as old as Duke Nukem Forever himself) are two different things.

Mortmal

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
MetalCraze said:
no said:

There are two kinds of games: SHIT! and SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! So, clearly AoD is either one or the other. Even we give it the undeserved benefit of the doubt, it's still gonna be SHIT!, so what's the point?

Then lets just hope age of decadence is SHIT... ahem maybe not the best way to promote your game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I believe he'd meant gameplay - not the LARP-story-driven things. I imagine making a good, tactical, rich on functionality turn-based party combat is much more difficult than making a "point a crosshair at an enemy and twitch". I don't doubt Mitsoda's ability in creating "role-" part of the gameplay, what about "playing" part? VtmB and SoZ had awful combat, not that I'm saying that Annie or Brian are responsible for that, however it surely doesn't add to the experience.

no

Novice
MetalCraze said:
no said:

What I meant was simple: ITS is building up to be very promising way for RPG developers to offer a variant to the mainstream RPG market, which just doesn't happen to tickle my fancy. Of course I'll pass the final judgement on the final product, but by far all the promoting Vince and co. have been doing has sounded like the kind of RPG I'd like to play. And I've better things to do with my time, than getting all involved and armchair-critic-sceptical on the little details like some of you guys. Simple enough?
Also, what's an ESF'er?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom