Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thursday is finally here.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just so you know, IRL, knocking people unconscious for hours, Thief or Deus Ex-style, is pretty much impossible without putting them in a permanent coma. And in that case they might as well be considered dead.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
someone seems strangely obsessed with knocking people out...
I haven't tested shit extensively or anything, but aimed attacks to the head never seemed to work(not even knockdowns), and my combat chars all use hammers :M while fast attacks and even aimed attacks to the legs(I think) were knocking enemies down and critting

so I wanted to know what was I doing wrong or what was the point, also the knowledge could help in fights with multiple enemies

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just so you know, IRL, knocking people unconscious for hours, Thief or Deus Ex-style, is pretty much impossible without putting them in a permanent coma. And in that case they might as well be considered dead.
IRL, people also go out of commission after being stabbed multiple times. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IRL, people also go out of commission after being stabbed multiple times. :M

Exactly, and by that logic, if it's so hard to even stab them to death, knocking unconscious should be all but impossible. :smug:

Unless it's via a text adventure option. :smug:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Staying outside and head-shotting the two guards outside may have been the best choice, if not for the dumb teleport into melee range. If my PC is a bowman, and the archers up top are distracted by the meatshields storming the tower, he shouldn't walk right next to the soldiers. There should at the very least be an option to not charge right next to them.

Will be added :salute:

Any other suggestions for combat positioning before a fight?

circ

Arcane
Well, Flavius fight has you start out in melee. He goes spearcrazy if he's in ranged range. Also, Flavius fight has you somehow start off stripped of weapons.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Staying outside and head-shotting the two guards outside may have been the best choice, if not for the dumb teleport into melee range. If my PC is a bowman, and the archers up top are distracted by the meatshields storming the tower, he shouldn't walk right next to the soldiers. There should at the very least be an option to not charge right next to them.

Not related to positioning, but many times the game changes your active weapons which makes you waste precious action points re-equipping yourself. An example is when you ambush the merchant taking stuff to Antidas in the dead of night, I wanted to open up throwing nets on the mercenaries but the game always switched my active weapon to the short bow everytime the fight started.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will continue when I'm back at home though and also test other characters to see if they offer more potential variety.

You need int 7, persuasion 35 and street wise 40 to work this out... Streetwise Praetor is lot more useful than merchant one given that VD has took away all shiny toys from shops, this plus cutting down XP points is great Marketing move I am sure. :roll:

Kaol

Educated
Has anyone been able to complete the imperial guard questline with a pure combat character?

Hellraiser

Arcane

The Aurelian mining outpost could also use a "just attack the place" option allowing you to initiate combat from considerable distance. The attack option teleports you to melee range of the guard. Also I think some ambushes should have a dexterity and/or dodge check to allow you to skillfully better position yourself if you want to fight an ambush in an open space location (rather than a tiny back alley with no room where it is justified). But I can't think of a specific encounter that could use that at the moment, I guess you have those somewhere in the full game though.

I liked the dexterity check option in the house ambush allowing you to just run away, but that encounter is ok as far as positioning goes since it takes place in cramped small house anyway.

circ

Arcane
Has anyone been able to complete the imperial guard questline with a pure combat character?
Working on it. I tried it with what I thought was a badass character but no he wasn't. Died like a bitch. Am now doing another badass merc using Kenney's 'guide'. Crafting really makes all the difference. 10 dr iron armor is pretty nice. And spears work nicely. Though I guess you could make it work with other weapons. But dodge is balls. BALLS. Fuck your 2h dodge spec.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
How is everyone managing to do crafting anyway? I'm not coming any ingredients and collecting the materials is pretty much impossible without going full slaughter on everyone.

Shadenuat

Arcane
10 dr iron armor is pretty nice. And spears work nicely. Though I guess you could make it work with other weapons. But dodge is balls. BALLS. Fuck your 2h dodge spec.

IMO 50 block ASAP and cavalry shield + spear (or some other 1 handed, swords are good for crits) and hand made medium or heavy armor is the only option for classic fighter. Survivability my ass. Name him Leonidas.
Most of the time I did't do that much damage. I protected my bros by soaking damage and bashed guys with 2 handed weapons away from our ranged and spear fighters.

ollecting the materials is pretty much impossible without going full slaughter on everyone.
You buy daggers from trader and dicompose them.

Monocause

Arcane
I didn't play much yet but I believe the positioning/ambush option issue could be alleviated somewhat by adding skill-checked dialogue options that would combat-port a character but if you picked the ambush one you get a free turn or two (if your stats are real good) before the 'real' combat starts. This rewards you for your skill picks and gives you time to either position yourself more to your wishes or get a free shot at someone (at TH 95% because the enemy is caught completely off guardl); plus it probably wouldn't be that hard to implement.

A free turn or two could serve as an abstraction of the advantage you get due to enemies' surprise, your extraordinary dexterity which allows you to act before anyone can react, an intimidation/persuasion factor that gave you an advantage because your enemies are distracted/scared shitless etc. Easy way to reward high non-combat skills in combat too.

circ

Arcane
Pick crafting screen, drag item to the big empty box there and click decompose. Doesn't work with everything. Strangely not crossbows and bows either. Armor/helmets/weapons. Armors doesn't include shitty tunics.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, I see. I either became even more stupid this year or this isn't very obvious at all.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Mein Gott, group combat in this game just eats my nerves. I don't want to watch bots poke pointy thingies at each other for a minute or more even with sped up animation. VD, please let us turn off animations altogether. Sync kills are dark and gritty, but for sanity's sake leave this shit to DA where it belongs. :M

Also, VD, why do you hate simple-minded people who just want to run around and kill things? :(

circ

Arcane
Oh, I see. I either became even more stupid this year or this isn't very obvious at all.
It took me a few days to figure out.

Also, not sure if mentioned already but there's a bug with stackable items, arrows anyway. If there are less than 5, well 3 anyway, they won't be sellable. You can transfer them into a corpse though.

Kaol

Educated
A few points:

Crafting of throwing items could do with some work, either allowing you to craft several at once or allowing you to repeat craft an item after you've set up the first. Currently it takes an awful lot of clicking to craft stacks of throwing items.

Pure combat path seems a little too difficult for mercenary.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I just did what could be called a pure combat run with a dodge-based assassin. Ended up with 17 kills and 2 epic combats and I could have scored another 2 to 6 kills. However, doing the final battle against the centurion and his butt-buddy took me almost as long as the rest of the playtime up to that point. At this time, I suppose that a blocking-based combat character may be significantly easier to play than a dodge-based combat character if you invest your SP wisely. For my assassin, I poured SP heavily into dodge, critical strike and crafting, with some light-to-moderate SP use for daggers, swords and crossbows. The SP spent on crossbows were a total waste for me because I ended up not relying on them at all because they didn't fit my play style. The ironic thing is that, in the high-level fights towards the end, I was using the highly upgraded hammer that you get by killing the refugees, so all the SP invested in the weapon skills could easily be considered a waste because my weapon of choice was one for which I invested no SP (save for some synergies). I think this is the root of all the problems most of the people that find the combat utterly impossible have: they invest in weapon skills a lot and little to nothing in dodge or block, and that's a recipe for getting yourself killed almost instantly, no matter how l33t your weapon skills are. Even investing in both dodge AND block is, most likely, a bad idea. In my assassin's case, dodge was by far the highest skill and I fought the final battle in a patrician robe in order to avoid having any dodge penalty. You have to admit that that's at least a bit counter-intuitive, especially for someone who grew up on a steady diet of computer games and has no actual hand-to-hand combat training/experience.

To me, the game seems very metagamey because it forces you to save often, save SP and increase your skills only as a reaction to a failed skill check, especially if you're playing a non-combat character. If you go for a combat character, you still have to save, save SP and go through the same process, but the problem, in this case, is that it takes much longer for you to realise that your character needs some skill increases after you've spent a significant amount of time battling the RNG, compared to the instant pass/fail that non-combat characters get.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
We are changing the THC formula. The one we have now brings the best benefit when you invest into attack and defense both, with a slight bias towards attack.

Silellak

Cipher
We are changing the THC formula. The one we have now brings the best benefit when you invest into attack and defense both, with a slight bias towards attack.

spock_fascinating.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom