Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky on The Outer Worlds at PC Gamer

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I feel like I shouldn't have even gotten into this because arguing semantics doesn't ever really go anywhere. But oh well.

When I think action RPG, I think something more along a 50/50 action and RPG split; something like Diablo where you spend the whole time crawling through dungeons while dicking around with new equipment and skill trees. The only TES game that matches that description is Battlespire.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Your definition is totally fine too.

Zeriel

Arcane
The final battle happened offscreen. That wasn't Geralt's story anymore, so it wasn't necessary to play through it.

Calling Morrowind an action RPG is an absurd relic of sad Daggerfall fans.

Sad Daggerfall fans were right though. Every title was more dumbed down. Morrowind apologists were just the frog in the pot going, "What are you talking aboit? Boiling? It's lukewarm!"

Tim Cain said:
If you want to be a smooth talker, it won’t just be as easy as picking the right stats and perks: you’ll often have to find a particular item in the world, or gather some intelligence about the person you’re trying to talk your way around.

They got it, finaly, provided they get it right. What reconnects the best rpgs in history with adventure games (items), that there's a challenge in FINDING a solution.

Something that's literally disappeared since Fallout and Deux ex, and nobody EVER understood, not even you guys all lost in skill checks done via obvious dialogue lines (AoD).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom