Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tim Cain is dead

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

... or at least, <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134673">he is according to Pete Hines' latest interview with EuroGamer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Eurogamer: What I've never quite understood about Fallout 3 is why would Bethesda buy the licence? Arguably "Bethesda does post-apocalyptic game" is a bigger story than "Bethesda makes Fallout 3". Fallout is a relic to modern gamers. If you'd made your own world, you'd have sidestepped all the stress of dealing with over-protective fans.</b>
<br>
<br>
Pete Hines: It's like, if George Lucas died tomorrow - God willing, he doesn't - and you're a film director. And you've grown up making big epic films - maybe you're Peter Jackson. And he finishes whatever his big next film is. And someone asks him, "what do you want to do next?" And he says, "I always wanted to make a big space movie. A big epic movie full of action." And they ask, "do you want to do generic space movie that you make up yourself, or do you want to do Star Wars." And he says, "I could do whatever, but I grew up as a kid and Star Wars made me want to get into making movies. It had such a profound impact on me, I would love to pick up this thing I loved and cared so much about and make the next one. And I'm not the guy who did the originals, but it means so much to me, and would mean much more to me to work in this world. It would be easier, perhaps less controversial and less pressure to do my own, but I'd rather do this thing that someone else did so much more."</blockquote>
<br>
I'm just going to <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=490963#490963">quote Brother None from NMA</a> on this one:
<br>
<blockquote>That's the fucking worst analogy ever.
<br>
<ol><li>Tim Cain isn't dead.
<br>
<li>At least one original Fallout developer applied to Bethesda to work on this game. Not only are they not dead, they offered to work with them. So add to his analogy "Yeah, and if George Lucas asked if he could work on this film, we'd tell him to piss off"
<br>
<li>If Jackson jumped on Lucas' dead bones people would be fucking outraged, and justifiably so. The Star Wars story is over, Lucas made 6 films and that's the story as he originally envisioned. Who the hell is Jackson to jump into someone else's story?</ol></blockquote>
<br>
Mind you if George Lucas hadn't worked on Episodes 1 - 3, they may actually have been decent films.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134673">Read the rest of the interview here</a>, including how Bethesda are "driven by love" (it doesn't state what that love is of, so I'll just go ahead and assume it's the love of money).
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Shit, after reading the title, my heart skipped a beat...

You god-damned pancake!

(and yeah, stupid analogy ftw)

slipgate_angel

Scholar
That...was actually a very disturbing analogy. Couldn't just saying, "Because we wanted to see another Fallout game see the light of day." ?

Man o man Pete, you've set yourself up for yet another flamege moment. :lol:

Jason

chasing a bee
Tim Cain isn't dead.
Ha, that's the same thing I thought while reading that this morning.

It would be easier
Being creative is easier? Seems like the easier way out is latching onto an established franchise and adapting it to the style of games you've been making all along.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
There are only two worse things than this analogy - the fact that Bethesda is making Fallout 3 and the title of this thread.

MasPingon

Arcane
For fucks sake, do something with this news title, I almost passed out myself when I first saw it. Brother None <3

Btw, did he just say he is Peter Jackson of computer games world? He dare to compare to the Braindead creator?

MetalCraze

Arcane
fuck you multi-headed cow. it's like the world is ended for me for a second there when I opened the news comments forum.

Eurogamer actually asked a correct question for once and even it was ruined by the retarded pete. I wonder if Tim Cain will be happy while reading this shit.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Ok. Seriously now. Seriously. This right here. This kind of response, this is why people think hardcore Fallout fans are batshit fucking crazy. Seriously.

Tim Cain didn't make the game by himself, a company did, a company which is dead and gone. The original creative force behind these games no longer exists in its original configuration. The [entity which made the games] is dead and all Pete is saying is his [game making entity] idol worships [original game making entity] and thus wishes to make something derived from [original game making entity]s body of creative works, in an "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" type of deal. They may fail to create a worthy successor but the sentiment is perfectly legitimate. The analogy works, you're twisting it because you are.all.fucking.luny. And I mean this in a jovial, friendly way. Frothing at the mouth insane.

And it is pretty clear that Pete is aware of it :

Eurogamer: You're driven by love. Do you think that's something the very hardcore Fallout fans miss?

Pete Hines: I don't know whether they miss it or not - it may be that they don't care and think, "that's all well and good, but you're not the ones we wanted to make this". I don't pretend to know exactly what their motivations and thought processes are. Those guys are very enthusiastic - we're talking about the very hardest of the hardcore Fallout fan. They're very passionate about this thing and protective about it. And that's okay.

Seems he's a nicer guy than I am. He calls you "passionate and protective". I'd just call you straight out nutjobs. :p

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What's best PR? Say that the hardcore Fallout fans are protective but it's still ok or say that they are raving lunatics and oh did you know we just happen to make a Fallout game, the same title that turned these people into moon-worshipping savages?

Krancor

Scholar
Sometimes I think that Naked Ninja is nuttier than Cleve.The biggest difference being I'd actually play a game Cleve made.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
...You think George Lucas made Star Wars by himself?

No. But it was an analogy and it doesn't take much intelligence to get the meaning behind it. The sentiment wasn't particularly offensive except to people who want to find something to hate in everything he says. It's just going completely overboard.

@ Krancor : Lol. Try harder.

MountainWest

Scholar
First Proverbius and now Cain. I sense a kid who cried wolf in the making. Imagine the day someone actually dies! Imagine! You'll be like: "He's dead *sob sniff momma make the pain go away*." And we'll be all like *lol*.

elander_

Arbiter
It's Pete guys. What else needs to be said. This may be that day of the week when Pete assumes his lovable personality and he loves everything and everyone, even the old hardcore haters.

Pete loves the characters and the environment, but he doesn't think it has nothing to do with what Tim Cain said about PnP games and turn-base.

Pete loves Tim Cain and the old fallout team but he thinks they would not understand what they are doing with their child.

Pete loves you to fork 50 to buy his game which is also being made for the people who loved Oblivion, Mass Effect and every other mainstream crpg out there.

Pete is so full of love.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Naked Ninja said:
No. But it was an analogy and it doesn't take much intelligence to get the meaning behind it. The sentiment wasn't particularly offensive except to people who want to find something to hate in everything he says. It's just going completely overboard.

Well, not to odd-ball, but since both Lucas and Cain made a game with a company behind it, what was the point of your statement that "Tim Cain didn't make the game by himself"? That's true for both cases, so in the analogy Lucas = Cain, not Lucas = company.

As for taking the usual Codex cynicism, which newsposters apply to *everything* (except games they really like), I find it odd that you'd overreact to it like you do. You're used to it by now, I'd assume.

psycojester

Arbiter
Is it just me or what Pete is trying to say its

"Fuck thinking up our own ideas, lets just write some fan-fiction its a lot easier"

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Thats not funny, DU. I really thought Tim Cain was dead for like 2 seconds and those 2 seconds were pretty depressing.

Fez

Erudite
Yes.

Well done DU.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom