Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Time to Conquer the Cold: Wasteland 3 Fig Campaign is Live

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...

... what the fuck is that cinematic view doing in this game?

:flamesaw:

(might still back)

xedPuUG.png

Oh the burn.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, it's a pretty good deal.
The thing with preordering is that you have no way of knowing what the game will look like when it comes out in the next decade. And before you say that former track record can indicate what the game will be like -- well, this is why people warn about preordering. Because track record can mean nothing. Games in the same franchise can differ wildly, like ME1-2.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
After exactly 24 hours, the Figstarter has taken in $500,442 in pledges. By comparison, WL2 made 470k on the calendar day of its launch (i.e. in less than 24 hours), Torment made 1,488k and BT4 made 706k.

WL3 is probably inXile's least popular crowdfunding project so far, though they can easily blame that on Fig.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's a pretty good deal.
The thing with preordering is that you have no way of knowing what the game will look like when it comes out in the next decade. And before you say that former track record can indicate what the game will be like -- well, this is why people warn about preordering. Because track record can mean nothing. Games in the same franchise can differ wildly, like ME1-2.
I have this special power where I know which games I will enjoy and which not. It rarely failed me in the last 3 decades. :)

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
After exactly 24 hours, the Figstarter has taken in $500,442 in pledges. By comparison, WL2 made 470k on the calendar day of its launch (i.e. in less than 24 hours), Torment made 1,488k and BT4 made 706k.

WL3 is probably inXile's least popular crowdfunding project so far, though they can easily blame that on Fig.

I'd love to know how far that meets their expectations.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have this special power where I know which games I will enjoy and which not. It rarely failed me in the last 3 decades. :)
I guess it's a discussion-stopper, huh? "I know how it's gonna be, so fuck off".

I'm starting to doubt that he even likes cRPGs, let alone plays any of them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Consider that a measure of how far you've fallen.

That you CAN'T EVEN FATHOM the skepticism some might express about another Fargo kickstarter.

Like, FeelTheRads must just be an edgy teen, despite you having the cock-sucking fanboy tag.

Maybe he feels, he needs to prove constantly he deserves this tag, in fear it will be taken away from him?:P

Darkzone

Arcane
I'd love to know how far that meets their expectations.
Probably it is around their expectations after BTIV kickstarter. One could state that this is currently their best founding operation, because they already have $2.260k for production of the game out of Fig just after 36 hours. Despite the fact that 1.700k is from investment shares, that they will probably pay back if the amount of sales are met. But they will keep their expectations rather low in my opinion.

Flou

Arbiter

You can't really compare the figures. Some of the people who whould have pledged may have invested in the game instead. So the money shows up in invest column instead of the pledge one.

hpstg

Savant
It’s funny how everyone talked about how we all need middle developers, niche games, PC gaming renaissance and so on. And here we are, almost 7 million project, Playstation and Xbox releases.

A 7 million American dollaris project is niche and relatively small, even with the PS4 and XboxOne releases. It's not Underrail small, but it's not Battlefied or Mass Effect. I don't trust them very much with the game design itself, Wasteland 2 was mediocre, but I can give them that they might improve until this one releases. But I won't be backing it. If it's good, I'll get it on release.

Something else I noticed is that they don't mention the game engine. Wasteland 2 run like shit, compared to how it looked. That was because they chose Unity, they obviously didn't know how to work with it, and they made the Windows release of the game run in OpenGL. I hope that for this one, they at least target Vulkan from the start and be done with it. If they don't, it will run like crapamella, the way it looks.

Fry

Arcane

Some of the "investors" would have been regular backers in a Kickstarter campaign. Notice the highest tier hasn't been touched.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Investments actually have to be paid back out of the game's revenue, pledges don't.

Suicidal

Arcane
I really wonder how much money has Wasteland 3 collected in the alternate universe where inXile decided to go with Kickstarter instead of Fig.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty sure the only reason inXile know who Styg even is is because of the Codex, so that's kind of a lingering beneficial effect of their relationship with us.
You are so butthurt about Ineptile yet you continue to post every fucking tidbit of information concerning them. You are the very definition of a nu-male cuck.

Fry

Arcane
Investments actually have to be paid back out of the game's revenue, pledges don't.

We're looking at funding, not profits. At least a few of the high rollers we saw in previous campaigns have seemingly switched to investing. Considering even BT4 got several $5k and $10k pledges, it's unlikely those people have completely disappeared.

Darkzone

Arcane
It’s funny how everyone talked about how we all need middle developers, niche games, PC gaming renaissance and so on. And here we are, almost 7 million project, Playstation and Xbox releases.
A 7 million American dollaris project is niche and relatively small, even with the PS4 and XboxOne releases. It's not Underrail small, but it's not Battlefied or Mass Effect. I don't trust them very much with the game design itself, Wasteland 2 was mediocre, but I can give them that they might improve until this one releases. But I won't be backing it. If it's good, I'll get it on release.
Something else I noticed is that they don't mention the game engine. Wasteland 2 run like shit, compared to how it looked. That was because they chose Unity, they obviously didn't know how to work with it, and they made the Windows release of the game run in OpenGL. I hope that for this one, they at least target Vulkan from the start and be done with it. If they don't, it will run like crapamella, the way it looks.

Vulkan is relatively new, but Unity has promised to support Vulkan this year (don't know if they are already doing this). So theoretically they could use Vulkan for WL3 for better performance.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really wonder how much money has Wasteland 3 collected in the alternate universe where inXile decided to go with Kickstarter instead of Fig.

Hmmm. If we take the not unreasonable assumption that only, say, one out of three backers would agree to make the immediate jump from Kickstarter to Fig, it might have had as much as Bard's Tale IV made during its entire campaign now.

Actually it would probably be less because the most generous backers are also the ones most likely to migrate to Fig, but that's still pretty good. Compare with Divinity: Original Sin 2, which got two million on Kickstarter.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

We're looking at funding, not profits. At least a few of the high rollers we saw in previous campaigns have seemingly switched to investing. Considering even BT4 got several $5k and $10k pledges, it's unlikely those people have completely disappeared.

Right now there are still 28 days left for "high rollers" to pledge for WL3 (and the Watch will surely be among them). If you want to make a snap comparison, you need to know how many people pledged 5k or 10k on the first day for inXile's previous Kickstarters. I rather doubt it would amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars in pledges.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually it would probably be less because the most generous backers are also the ones most likely to migrate to Fig, but that's still pretty good. Compare with Divinity: Original Sin 2, which got two million on Kickstarter.
Is there any way to see how the investments are distributed? I.e. how many small time 1k one share investments there are? That would tell a bit more about the popularity of the project.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any way to see how the investments are distributed? I.e. how many small time 1k one share investments there are? That would tell a bit more about the popularity of the project.

We don't care about the investments, do we? We care about regular backers, ie normal fans. You can look at the number of people who have pledged to each tier. Push the little "i" button next to the funding progression bar to see how much of the funding is from them and how much is from investors.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm sceptical of the idea that backing and investing are closely related activities. Investing in the game doesn't give you a free copy, or a physical box, or a custom designed piece of in-game content. The people who backed WL2 at high tiers because they wanted those rewards would surely rather pledge again, and not switch to investing.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree about Fig, it seems to be a "hey we can do it all ourselves" kind of deal
With no kockstarter and no paypal it is kind of shaddy looking for outsiders and I am sure the whole thing has cost them a few pledges because of it
Still pretty impressive so far I bet they reach 4 mil easily

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom