Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite Kickstart Turn-based Oldschool CRPG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
4 words. Baldur's Gate and IE games.

That may be it. I never liked these IE games much though because I grew up with the first person view games, like Might & Magic, Wizardry, Dragon Lore, Lands of Lore and found the immersion much better than isometric ones. Obviously this taste belongs to the minority :( Well in that case Brenda & Tom definitely need each supporter :-|

I grew up starting with the Gold Box games and cRPG's available to the Amiga 500 in the late 80's. And I liked the IE games because they were a spiritual successor to them. The combat may be questionable to some, but the HEART of the D&D system was there (character building, and spell selection). The path finding was rage inducing sometimes though.

Stabwound

Arcane
Project Eternity and this thing are worlds apart. At least PE has people with track records that seem to walk the walk. This thing has... absolutely nothing.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I agree, and PE looks much more serious. Despite my doubts, I have now backed OldSchoolRPG, ... I mean.. who else will ever create a 1st person party RPG, if not they? I have sworn to myself some months ago that if someone is making something like Wizardry 8 then I pledge. They are probably the only ones who will ever do. Backing is done now, now let's see how it works out...

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I agree, and PE looks much more serious. Despite my doubts, I have now backed OldSchoolRPG, ... I mean.. who else will ever create a 1st person party RPG, if not they? I have sworn to myself some months ago that if someone is making something like Wizardry 8 then I pledge. It's done now, now let's see how it works out^^

Almost Human with Legend of Grimrock?
:martini:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The sheer FACT Obsidian has continued to make cRPG's for the most part I enjoy, is the reason I will continue to back them.

Tom and Brenda pop out of no where, and have NOT continued to make cRPG's but make flash games doesn't really give me any confidence. And the horrible lack of info is not helping either.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Almost Human with Legend of Grimrock?

Definitely a nice game for its type, but I just can't play these dark stepwise dungeon crawlers anymore without getting depressed. I prefer some kind of "openness" like seen in M&M, Wiz8, with a sky box around.

The sheer FACT Obsidian has continued to make cRPG's for the most part I enjoy, is the reason I will continue to back them.

Tom and Brenda pop out of no where, and have NOT continued to make cRPG's but make flash games doesn't really give me any confidence. And the horrible lack of info is not helping either.

Insultingly stupid pitch was what killed it for me, along with those. Basically when I watched the vid, it looked like a parody, and left me feeling I'm gonna give money to a scam. It wouldn't be bad if they make that two games though. Maybe they were just unluckily stupid with that first video.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Here's what I don't get.

Movies costs even more than video games to make, and yet it's common for directors and actors to get royalties, especially after the movie reaches a break even point. So I don't understand why game devs don't get royalties as a standard publishing contract. Even if the game has to reach a break even point first.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's what I don't get.

Movies costs even more than video games to make, and yet it's common for directors and actors to get royalties, especially after the movie reaches a break even point. So I don't understand why game devs don't get royalties as a standard publishing contract. Even if the game has to reach a break even point first.

Movies cost more, but are also more reliably profitable. Also, directors and actors have much more STAR POWER than game developers. They have more bargaining power to demand royalties.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This just gets better and better. :lol:

Plz design game for us fans*.

Next up: plz provide art for the game

Then: plz code the game for us.

*can someone interested in this even be called a fan, since there is nothing to be a fan of?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
CrookedBee: where did you got this link? I can't find it on the kickstarter page

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Here's what I don't get.

Another difference is that movies are produced much faster and there is less risk of the project not getting finished. Unless you're doing something like Francis Coppola - Apocalypse Now, a movie is just a movie, and can be cut together with some parts missing or improvised, but making a game is more complex, like creating machinery - always a mammooth task.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Theres' an interesting Gamasutra article out on OSRPG that I think explains exactly what went wrong, initially. Brenda and Tom were surprised by the community's need for information, and treated their initial Kickstarter pitch similarly to the way in which they would have approach a publisher, i.e. a loose sketch with few or no specific details worked out.

The problem with this is, as I am sure they now see in hindsight, Kickstarter backers are not publishers and they do not approach potential projects with the same interests, intentions, or backgrounds that publishers might. It's true that some popular old school Kickstarters have been light on details, but in every case the blanks could be pretty easily filled in. Wasteland 2 was touted as a direct successor to Wasteland, and that answered many questions (although many more were forthcoming). Double Fine's project was obviously an old school point and click, and the fans were interested in the MEDIUM (SCUMM style classic adventuring) and didn't mind not knowing the specific game content. Shadowrun backers knew in intimate detail the thematic background of their game, and the theme was initially more important than precise gameplay details.

OSRPG has no preexisting theme to secure loyalty. Brenda and Tom themselves absolutely share name recognition and fan loyalty, but perhaps not enough to drive a million dollars all by themselves. They do however have commonality with some IP that is easily capable of funding a Kickstarter... wizardry and anachronox. The problem as I see it is this, they used these titles in their resumes, and did not put their biggest accomplishments right out front and center to draw $ in.

Crowdfunding is not the same as pitching to a publisher. Publishers want to know, "will this make us money." Crowdfunding is a different kind of sales pitch, in the case of old school games combining nostalgic appeal and direct hooks (for some it can be established theme, for others iconic gameplay). I hope Brenda and Tom continue to refine their pitch, because it's not yet too late (although that first big $ window is over)... but more importantly... I hope future projects by highly talented developers learn these important lessons and don't mistake Kickstarter pitches and publisher pitches.

From the comments in their Kickstarter page.

Edit: link to the article

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Oldschool RPG" huh? Project title alone makes this sound sleazy and untrustworthy. Reminds me too much of the "crowdsourced hardcore tactical-shooter" scam.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Phhh, they did -not- develop Realms of Arkania.. those games had been around, and were based on a very popular PnP system in Germany, and it was made by 'Attic', a now defunct, and also German developer. The first versions I played here didn't even have the Sir Tech logo or anything on it, they just picked it up and made conversions for the international market.. that's all.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well yeah, someone else mentioned it already a few pages ago. Including Realms of Arkania as part of their portfolio is dishonest to put it mildly.

Wizfall

Cipher
I just hope it doesn't kill the possibility of a wizardry 8 spiritual kickstarter sequel now.
It is a sad mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom