Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered from Aspyr - for real this time

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Bros, I'm not playing the remaster with those shitty new graphics and the messed up lightning. Is the Remaster at least a good, hassle free way to play the games with original graphics on modern PCs, or did they change or scew anything up in classic mode as well? Should I just go with the source ports instead? Price is a secondary consideration.
The source ports are better.

Semiurge

Cipher
Shamelessly stealing this from chan,definitive source ports or patches for the core games:

Tomb Raider I / Unfinished Business - TR1X https://github.com/LostArtefacts/TR1X/releases (TR1 Native PC port from decompiled source code)

Tomb Raider II / The Golden Mask - TR2Main https://github.com/Arsunt/TR2Main/releases ((TR2 Native PC port from decompiled source code)

Tomb Raider III / The Lost Artifact - The Tomb3 Project https://github.com/Trxyebeep/tomb3/releases (TR3 Decompilation)

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation / The Times: Exclusive Tomb Raider Level - The Tomb4 Project https://github.com/Trxyebeep/TOMB4/releases (TR4 Decompilation)

Tomb Raider: Chronicles - The Tomb5 Project https://github.com/Trxyebeep/TOMB5/releases (TR5 Decompilation)

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness Restoration Project - https://www.tomb-of-ash.com/traodrp/

Bros, I'm not playing the remaster with those shitty new graphics and the messed up lightning. Is the Remaster at least a good, hassle free way to play the games with original graphics on modern PCs, or did they change or scew anything up in classic mode as well? Should I just go with the source ports instead? Price is a secondary consideration.

The classic mode follows the original Playstation graphics.... most of the time. So if you've only played these on PC there will be differences. Mostly for the better, but not always.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
GKWFvAAW8AASVVe

New face mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/tombraidertrilogyremastered/mods/405/?tab=description

Ash

Arcane
95% of everything I've seen about this "remaster" is pure decline. And the usual suspects are sucking it off, what a surprise! Eh whatever...whatever gets you cucks playing real games :obviously:...even if in gimped form.

Ash

Arcane
The controls aren't clunky, they are actually very precise and function incredibly well with how the game is constructed.
Translation: The controls are clunky because the game is clunky.

Also, tank-like controls to move a person aren't clunky? Get out of here. Tomb Raider created the absurd notion that tank controls could be applied to other games than those actually featuring tanks, such as adventure games like Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island. What's the first thing about those two games that people hate?

It's only because they had to dumb the game down to consoles that Tomb Raider has tank controls in the first place!
You always have complete control of Lara and her movements are very predictable
Translation: You have complete control of Lara except when the game takes it away from you (see: sliding platforms and monsters purposefully kept out of view who ambush and stun-lock you) and her movements are very predictable because they are pre-defined, there is no such thing as tapping the button lightly for a small jump/holding it down for a longer jump, there is just the one jump, and the game's not-so-successful efforts to integrate that one jump.

The "problem" isn't the controls themselves, it's the grid-like structure of the game and its levels, and how the controls respond to that.

you never have to guess whether she can make a jump or not, it becomes second nature very fast.
Trial and error, ad nauseum, do not a good game make.

I'll admit here right and now, 3rd-person platformers are not my cup of tea. Besides the Tomb Raider games, I think it's only the Psychonauts-games in this genre that I like and have played extensively... otherwise I avoid them. Especially the older ones.

The camera can be a bit annoying when you're backed against corners and such, but otherwise it's completely functional.
Considering the amount of precision platforming you have to do in this game, the times the player is backed against corners is roughly ALL THE TIME.

Next you'll be telling me Earthworm Jim 3D is a perfectly fine game with a perfectly functional camera.

You can control the camera directly with numpad zero too.
And the absolute shit-state this game was in if this wasn't in place would be even too much for you guys. It's not even near an acceptable solution, but it's better than nothing.

Complaints about clunkiness usually seem to come from people who are failing jumps because they didn't do the tutorial section. Hold shift to walk to edges without falling, release shift and tap back once to give yourself full running jump distance. If you master that, which takes approximately four seconds, you can clear every single part of the first two games.
Did you miss the part where I said I beat the games a long time ago? How do you think I did that if I skipped the gym in the ball room?

The reason I'm missing jumps is a mixture of the following:

# I can't see where I'm jumping to.
# I can't see properly when I'm supposed to jump.

Those are not faults of the controls, but the camera angles being shit.

The combination of the two, clunky controls and a stupid camera, is what drags these games down.

It is generally accepted that 3rd-person 3D games in the 90s had crap camera controls. For some reason I'm arguing with people who are defending that like the black eye they're nursing after talking with their spouse last night.

Mouthbreathing mammary-worshipping mongoloids, the lot of you.

(Thanks for giving me a venue to vent some rage, I feel much better after this.)

Wow. Glad this one was shot down by people that actually understand the game. Tomb Raider's particular style of monocled gameplay (mediocre yet still valuable combat aside) simply cannot work without its controls. The end result is pure genius, near must-play status with the caveat that there will be mental roadblocks to overcome ("wtf this isn't like in those FPS/action games I normally play!?") and there will probably never be anything like it ever again. I replayed the first two games (original PSX, not faggy remaster or declined PC) a few months back after many years and had an absolute blast. Exceptional game design, and typical badass 90s stylization choices. Far more masculine, prestigious and tasteful than anything you get today, despite starring a female lead.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's frustrating that they don't seem to get that the whole appeal of the character in the TR1-3 days was her audacity and total lack of respect for standard archaeological procedures. The Ark of the Covenant taking up space in her mansion in the TR1 tutorial should have made that point pretty clear, but CD have never seemed to understand the mood or tone of Tomb Raider at all. And if the Ark wasn't enough, you'd think Lara recovering the Dagger of Xian (and killing many people in the process) only to literally put it on her mantelpiece would make the joke obvious, but no. They might as well say "Homer Simpson has regrettably not respected work safety protocols in the past, but we're looking to redefine him in future projects".

But that's what you get when you hand the series over to FUCKING AMERICANS.

Ash

Arcane

Oh my god give it a rest. Who is this? Sure, it does "represent colonialism", to some minute nanoscale degree, purely because it's British and the woman goes and raids tombs in other countries and shoots up their wildlife. Very tame stuff, but whatever. What next, gonna wipe Britain off the map too? I am British, come say that to my face you (presumably) fat ugly cunt. You wont though, you will infect the system one retard at a time until the white man is no more. While ignoring that invasion of other lands, slavery, injustice and on and on is not unique to the whitey, but standard operating procedure of all nations & races throughout most of human history. As with any group, there are the good people and the bad people within.

So very tired of living among retards, psychos, greedy fucks ruining anything. One time machine ticket please!

It's frustrating that they don't seem to get that the whole appeal of the character in the TR1-3 days was her audacity and total lack of respect for standard archaeological procedures. The Ark of the Covenant taking up space in her mansion in the TR1 tutorial should have made that point pretty clear, but CD have never seemed to understand the mood or tone of Tomb Raider at all. And if the Ark wasn't enough, you'd think Lara recovering the Dagger of Xian (and killing many people in the process) only to literally put it on her mantelpiece would make the joke obvious, but no. They might as well say "Homer Simpson has regrettably not respected work safety protocols in the past, but we're looking to redefine him in future projects".

Crystal Dynamics have always been utter trash and a stain upon the industry. Their best game was what, Soul Reaver? Which was never a particularly good game. Just OK.

Meh. You say that like the Brits are producing good games still. It's all decline buddy.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
If you told me that article was parody, I'd believe you. But it's real and its dripping in estrogen, virtue signaling, and retardation. As far as TR being "colonial":

You_Keep_Using_That_Word_meme_banner.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

I thought that her appeal was that she was an adrenaline junkie who only ever felt alive whenever she was doing something insanely dangerous like surviving in the Himalayas or fighting off alien creatures. She needed to seek out new and more dangerous things. But that's probably just an American not getting the subtle British humor.

Still better than Ms. Daddy Issues that we get in the Crystal Dynamics games though. Frankly, that character was such a mess even in the Legend-era that I wonder how we ever took them seriously.

Lemming42

Arcane
I thought that her appeal was that she was an adrenaline junkie who only ever felt alive whenever she was doing something insanely dangerous like surviving in the Himalayas or fighting off alien creatures. She needed to seek out new and more dangerous things. But that's probably just an American not getting the subtle British humor.
That's more or less it - she doesn't even care about the artifacts, they end up just gathering dust in her cellar (the huge treasure pile in TR3) or shoved in the middle of her main hall, and on top of that, she usually causes irreparable damage to the locations she steals them from. The peak of it is the Natural History Museum from TR3, where she just outright murders the guards in the name of wrecking half the exhibits and stealing the mummy stuff.

I dunno how Crystal Dynamics could play through that and assume that the game is uncritically on Lara's side or making any kind of statement in favour of destroying priceless historical artifacts (which they puzzlingly call "colonialism" even though Lara's definitely not acting on behalf of the British government, given that she kills British citizens and wrecks state property).

Semiurge

Cipher
Patch 2 is now live.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered - Update 2 | Patch Notes​

civ6-teddy2.jpg

Aspyr Joe
April 11, 2024 15:14 Updated

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Update 2 is out now on all platforms! Full patch notes can be found below:

All Games:
  • Epic Games Store title build now launches in fullscreen mode on initial launch rather than windowed mode
  • Lara’s character now disappears when the camera gets too close instead of clipping through her head
  • Fixed issue where Steam achievements would sometimes have the wrong descriptions
  • Action indicator will not display if Lara is unable to interact with an object
  • Achievement “Ready to Raid” now unlocks when completing the proper conditions
  • Achievement “Exaggerated Threat” now only unlocks when completing the proper conditions
  • Achievement “Gifts of Wonderland” now unlocks when completing the proper conditions
  • The Default Photo Mode pose where Lara is not holding a weapon is now consistent between SD and HD modes
  • Improved translation in various languages
  • Dynamic lighting now corresponds more accurately to the original games
  • A special outfit for Nightmare in Vegas added
  • Bloody T-Rex Lara outfit now available in Photo Mode
  • New Photo Mode poses
  • Lara’s hair no longer expands/contracts in HD mode
  • Addressed graphical issues on many doors where the textures would flash rapidly
  • Improved rain, fire, and smoke effects
Tomb Raider I:
  • Windows in Natla’s Mines are now properly transparent
  • Toned down the red mist effect in cutscene with Natla placing the Scion in the Atlantis level
  • Lara can now destroy the Scion with all weapons
  • Updated lightning in Thor room of St. Francis’ Folly
  • Updated missing textures in The Lost Valley
  • Flare control option is no longer grayed out in Tomb Raider I
  • Updated skybox for Lara’s Home

Tomb Raider II:

• Updated spiderweb textures in HD mode
  • Lara now properly grabs ledges when running off and holding the grab buttons
  • Resolved missing muzzle flashes in cutscenes
  • Resolved camera twitching when Lara approaches the ledge in Living Quarters
  • Updated incorrect textures on the walls in The Deck
  • Resolved small gap between some textures in The Great Wall
  • Lights in HD mode in Wreck of the Maria Doria now flicker correctly
  • Wall textures in Wreck of the Maria Doria now match SD and HD modes
  • Resolved small gaps in between some textures in Venice
  • Gondolas are now breakable regardless of the positioning of the other boat
  • Proper chimney textures are now present in HD mode of Bartoli’s Hideout
  • Graphical overhaul of all Wreck of Maria Doria levels
  • Opera dome is now visible from the outside in level Opera House
  • Updated skyboxes for Lara’s Home, Tibetan Foothills, Barkhang Monastery
  • Missing waterfall added in Temple of Xian
  • Music tracks no longer repeat
Tomb Raider III:
  • Updated quicksand to have VFX in HD mode
  • Foliage textures updated to be more transparent
  • When Lara collects her items back in High Security Compound, all the items now appear in the preview display when you pick them up
  • 3D models of Meteorite Artifacts were not transparent in HD mode
  • Updated hard-to-spot platforms in Lost City of Tinnos in HD mode
  • Updated missing textures in Lost City of Tinnos
  • Black water texture is no longer visible in Lost City of Tinnos and Madubu Gorge
  • Updated lighting in caves in Madubu Gorge
  • It’s now more clear that some walls are climbable in Madubu Gorge HD mode
  • Updated lighting in RX-Tech Mines for HD mode
  • Resolved missing textures in RX-Tech Mines in HD mode
  • Crevice is clearly visible in the ice wall in HD mode in RX-Tech Mines
  • Arrow on sign now turns off when using railroad switcher in RX-Tech Mines
  • Resolved several gaps in textures in Nevada Desert
  • Environments from other rooms are no longer visible in sections of Nevada Desert
  • Lara no longer dies when jumping near a wall of spikes in Willard’s Lair
  • Environments from other rooms are no longer visible in sections of Shakespeare Cliff
  • Willard is now holding elevator remote in cutscene after completing Antarctica
  • Resolved missing textures in Area 51
  • Character models no longer disappear during cutscene in Aldwych
  • The radar texture in High Security Compound does not disappear anymore when viewed from certain angles.
  • Vent hole in hut roof is now transparent in Coastal Village
  • Sparkling mutagen in Sleeping with the Fishes now look brighter in HD mode
  • Lud’s Gate and Aldwych lighting overhaul
  • Home chandeliers updated to better match the original model
  • Graphical overhaul of The Lost Artifact levels
  • Added a skybox for Lud's Gate
  • Updated skyboxes for Highland Fling, Willard’s Lair and It’s a Madhouse!

They even added the leopard-pattern outfit to Nightmare in Vegas that was originally only in the beta version of the level :salute:

Ezekiel

Arcane
That's more or less it - she doesn't even care about the artifacts, they end up just gathering dust in her cellar (the huge treasure pile in TR3) or shoved in the middle of her main hall, and on top of that, she usually causes irreparable damage to the locations she steals them from. The peak of it is the Natural History Museum from TR3, where she just outright murders the guards in the name of wrecking half the exhibits and stealing the mummy stuff.

I dunno how Crystal Dynamics could play through that and assume that the game is uncritically on Lara's side or making any kind of statement in favour of destroying priceless historical artifacts (which they puzzlingly call "colonialism" even though Lara's definitely not acting on behalf of the British government, given that she kills British citizens and wrecks state property).
Crystal Dynamics didn't say it, it was the designers of the tabletop RPG Shadows of Truth. I misunderstood too.

Semiurge

Cipher

Crystal Dynamics didn't say it, it was the designers of the tabletop RPG Shadows of Truth. I misunderstood too.

Everything flows through Crystal Dynamics, they have to approve everything in the end.

Ash

Arcane
This entire project, like 95% of remakes and remasters, is a rewriting of history and abolishment of art. Nearly everything it does is terrible. Shame on all those that bought it.

Semiurge

Cipher
Tomb Raider 3 Remaster Seems to Quietly Edit Out Lara Croft Pinup Posters in Recent Patch

Can you imagine how insufferable one must be around other people that something like this bothers them so much that they had to do this, knowing the reaction it would get?

For some insight into their method of madness:

It's not about what's shown, but all about the context, angles, facial expressions - you name it. And as the video points out, about bending the knee to the alphabet mod. If you pander to them as well, you can include heteronormative imagery such as those posters. If you don't, your work needs to be abolished along with all works that support the old, patriarchal heteronormative system. This is the video's TLDR-essence. Everything that is known about Crystal Dynamics *spits* tells us that they're fully on board with this ideology, and willing to go even further if given leave.

I guess the next patch that Aspyr's devs are already working on will determine whether this was an accident, or intentional censorship. If they fix it, it's the former.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Played through TR1 recently and just finished TR2. Liked TR1 much better than TR2 as the latter didn't have enough tomb raiding and seemed to focus way more on combat and human enemies. Is TR3 more like TR1 or TR2? Is the rest of the franchise shit?

Semiurge

Cipher
What does the alphabet mafia have to do with this?

They've infiltrated Crystal Dynamics. If CD wants something removed from the remasters, they can get it done as the IP holders. If you read things about their Tomb Raider games made after the Survivor reboot, you will soon run into evidence of their prevalent agenda.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Played through TR1 recently and just finished TR2. Liked TR1 much better than TR2 as the latter didn't have enough tomb raiding and seemed to focus way more on combat and human enemies. Is TR3 more like TR1 or TR2? Is the rest of the franchise shit?
TR3 doesn't have a lot of human enemies, but it does stretch the definition of tomb even more than 2 did. Out of the original trilogy, I like 1 the most, then 3, then 2 (particularly because of the overwhelming amount of human enemies). As for The Last Revelation and Chronicles, some people say they are either the best in the series or absolute dogshit, so YMMV. Don't bother with Legend onwards, it's a completely different franchise by that point.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
TR3 doesn't have a lot of human enemies, but it does stretch the definition of tomb even more than 2 did. Out of the original trilogy, I like 1 the most, then 3, then 2 (particularly because of the overwhelming amount of human enemies). As for The Last Revelation and Chronicles, some people say they are either the best in the series or absolute dogshit, so YMMV. Don't bother with Legend onwards, it's a completely different franchise by that point.
Correction, people say that about The Last Revelation, Chronicles is considered to be the absolute worst or just a good game that was a disappointing note to end the series on. I've never heard anyone call it the best in the series, and frankly it has too many issues for me to believe that someone said that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom