Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered from Aspyr - for real this time

Lemming42

Arcane
Heart absolutely sank seeing that new Crystal Dynamics game announced. How little fucking faith do you have to have in your own series that you revert back to "TOMB RAIDER" as the title yet again. I suppose it's positive that they realised nobody is invested in whatever story arc they have going on since TR2013 (just as nobody gave a fuck about the Legend-Underworld arc) but... classic-style font for the title, Lara in the classic outfit, the TR1 T-Rex... can't you fuckers do anything other than trade on nostalgia. I despise this shit so much. Nobody wants an inferior version of shit from 30 years ago, people want new original games in the same style.

If they were smart they'd come up with a new Tomb Raider 4* (the same way Crash Bandicoot 4 just sort of pretended everything since Crash 3 hadn't happened) which follows in the tradition of the first three games. This would be a tricky thing for them to do because 1) they'd have to come up with a new gameplay scheme that replicates the "interact with anything" style of the originals, abandoning the unplayable bullshit mechanics they've been using since Legend and 2) they'd have to control the absolute fucking diarrhea that is their writing and instead write a fun, concise, lighthearted action-adventure story.

*no offence intended to TLR but I think it's obvious that the way forward for the franchise is to use the first three games as a starting point for whatever's next

I wonder if Vicky Arnold, writer of the first three games, is still available. She knew exactly how to write for a videogame, and how to come up with stories that were exciting but presented in a minimalist way, allowing the gameplay to take centre stage. At this point they should just outright track her down and hire her because if they try it themselves they're going to fuck it all up big-style just like they've fucked every single game since Legend up.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Even if they straight up remake TR1 yet again, the shadow of the "prequel trilogy" is going to loom over the entire thing, so daddy issues galore, inconsistent characterization for Lara, too many monologues (imagine Lara quipping something after entering every single room), "unproblematic representation" (so Larson and Pierre are going to be very courteous and feminist when trying to kill Lara), stonecold Lara that hasn't felt an attraction to another human being in her life because she's an empowered woman, and the worst part - no triangle titties. Unacceptable. We already have a version of this, though, it's called Anniversary and it's awful.

flyingjohn

Arcane
"Crystal Dynamics has released a new artwork for its upcoming Unreal Engine 5-powered Tomb Raider game"
So it is just anniversary hd edition? Makes sense for Embracer. First the original trilogy hd and then the legend trilogy hd.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
GGV0SiIXQAElo-A

GGV0SiLXgAArB5M

GGV0SiHXQAEVD_6

GGV0SiFWgAA6PI6

It seems they added a new game+ that changes the save system back to the savepoints of the console versions (The blue crystals), among other features (New enemy placements, more damage taken, etc).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The funniest part about Crystal Dynamics making yet another TR reboot now is that it's going to be painfully obvious how inferior it is to the originals, considering how easily accessible the originals are now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If this remaster is successful. Peak player count was 6k and it's 3k now. I'm not convinced it's enough to make waves.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wonder how it's performed on consoles. It makes sense that a lot of PC players would give it a miss since much of the target audience will already own the first three games on Steam or gog.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Wonder how it's performed on consoles. It makes sense that a lot of PC players would give it a miss since much of the target audience will already own the first three games on Steam or gog.

Console demographics skew much younger. They have no idea who the fuck Lara Croft is, what the triangle tits controversy was, and the gameplay is still from the 1990s which will have 0 appeal to them. They will give it a hard pass.

Just pirated it quickly. There's no mansion tutorial level :/ I wanted to do the maze secret but you can't even leave.

EDIT: I'm retarded. That's TR2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If this remaster is successful. Peak player count was 6k and it's 3k now. I'm not convinced it's enough to make waves.
People are at work. I'll definitely be picking up in the Coliseum this eve.
There's another factor I neglected - it's probably more popular on consoles. I haven't even seen a console in over a decade, so I forget these exist.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Question for those who have played it/seen it, do they fix the improper texturing of the original? I'm forgetting the technical term right now, but a lot of textures in the original noticeably did not match up with their neighbors and it was honestly a big problem throughout the game. Also, are the modern controls as hilarious bad as we thought they'd be? Are they like the ones in Anniversary/Legend?
Probably the South Pacific islanders or the Tibetan monks, but it's more likely that the disclaimer is just there so they can cover themselves. It won't refer to anything in particular, it's just a shield against the inevitable Kotaku and Polygon articles (written by freelancers who don't really believe what they're writing but need SEO cash) about how "Tomb Raider needs to confront its colonial past" or w/e.
Aren't the South Pacific Islanders cannibals? A definite no-no today, even though people who were there have said they engaged in cannibalism of their enemies? (Like most peoples at some point, but people get offended if you mention some did recently in history)
They also probably don't trust people to realise that Lara is meant to be an amusingly aloof and uncaring anti-hero, and that you're not meant to necessarily approve of her treatment of archaeological sites and other cultures. Or that the games take place in a pulp-y heightened reality where everything's a bit ridiculous, hence Australian soldiers (with highly over-exaggerated accents) fighting velociraptors, and Lara gunning down half the population of Italy.
Lara is in it for herself mostly, but that's what makes her fun. You can debate whether she's right to keep invaluable artifacts in her home instead of donating them to museums or scholarly research, I guess. She doesn't make money off of them, canon lore says she writes books of her adventures, so she's not a bounty hunter in that sense.
She says in the very first cutscene of the first game something like, "Sorry, I only play for sport", when Natla offers her loads of cash to go to Peru. It defines her whole character because she puts herself in these wild situations for fun, not money.
Lara's basically an adrenaline junkie in the original. She distanced herself from her rich family because when she crash landed in Tibet she found herself more alive than she ever was before and continues her adventures to satisfy that desire. She's also one of the few characters who actually does "strong woman who don't need no man" without coming off as bullshit. Nobody else ever kept those two aspects, they always went for "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAD!" because women with daddy issues are so much more interesting. Its not even women doing it, Legend did it, the comics did it, the movie did it, nobody had the balls to give Lara her proper characterization outside of Arnold. Sigh...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The jungle levels in TR3 with the new graphics look really nice - but you can't see shit, and can't tell where you're supposed to go.

Good thing the graphic swap is instantaneous - you're gonna need it.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
From another forum:

"Crystal Dynamics has released a new artwork for its upcoming Unreal Engine 5-powered Tomb Raider game"
Lara-Croft-from-UE5-Tomb-Raider.jpeg

What is this? Karen Croft?

No way this is official.

I have a sudden horrible sinking feeling that this is an older version of The shadow of the Tomb Raider Lara. She even has the same jade medallion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom