Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 10 Things in Fallout 3 that sucks says the unbias me.

Humanity has risen! said:
The worst of all by far is the looting.

Fallout 3 is not a game about having an adventure in a post-nuclear world, it's a game about looking over every nook and cranny of the environment, to then inspect drawers, corpses, ovens, mailboxes, machinery, and pick up random stuff from them. For HOURS on end.

My head hurts just thinking about it.

That's more of a problem with your OCD than with the game, really

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Clockwork Knight said:

Fallout 3 is not a game about having an adventure in a post-nuclear world, it's a game about looking over every nook and cranny of the environment, to then inspect drawers, corpses, ovens, mailboxes, machinery, and pick up random stuff from them. For HOURS on end.

Not when the game exploits that OCD by hiding valuable and unique items in nooks and crannies.

RoboHobo

Novice
sea said:
Clockwork Knight said:

Not when the game exploits that OCD by hiding valuable and unique items in nooks and crannies.

And then fills the rest of the storage places with a senseless random assortment of useless items, with a token sprinkling of ammo and cash. Did the pre-war idiots fill their filing cabinets with pencils, mugs and the occasional lone bullet? Or did someone come around after the war and decide that this was the best way to reorganise everything?

I suspect the Bethesda offices are equipped in a similar manner and they're just working from experience.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
well new space robot person these items are there for roleplaying purposes like collecting dinosaur souvenirs or pillows with your character and filling up an npc's room with it and pretending that they are very surprised indeed

There are many reports of such things extending the longevity of modern roleplaying games

sea said:

I still play the game from time to time, and I know that valuable and unique items are never in random filers and crates, they're always in clear view or in obvious places like a lone desk in a room (unless by "unique and valuable" you mean slightly rarer chems like Psycho and Buffout, but they cost a pittance in shops).

You just need to play for one hour or so until you realize that all those places contain random leveled lists of Shit_Items. If looking everywhere makes you suffer , but you do it anyway because you might miss out on a hockey mask and 3 bottlecaps, then yeah, OCD is riding you like a $5 whore and you're loving it

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
If looking everywhere makes you suffer , but you do it anyway because you might miss out on a hockey mask and 3 bottlecaps, then yeah, OCD

the worst case of this was with the skill magazines in the original game

seriously I could not even begin to give a fuck

the star bottlecaps just barely got my attention only because they were for the SS factory super prize thing, i.e. actual game content

I ended up console cheating the dozen or so I was missing in the end anyway

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
u6behlem.jpg

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
bro it just kinda looks like your two avatars are coyly staring at each other from across the frame

Lunac

Arcane
Never had any interest for the Fallout series, back in the 90's or now. I wasn't much into isometric stuff back then (I quit that shit after Knight Lore back in the Regan era) and F3 barely registered. A friend picked up a copy and I watched him create a character and after about 90 seconds of the whole "look, look you start as a baby!!!" character creation bullshit and poorly done retro feel (you can see they, the Bethesda folks, were aiming for corny but landed on pitiful) I had enough. Anyway, this whole thing with the post-apoc feel has been done and done better by the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Also, again, I'm not familiar with the Fallout lore but the whole setting is fuken horrible. The whole Vault Boy retro feel seems very forced. Like somebody tried to imitate one of those shitty post-apoc 80's movies with Chip Mayer or something, and they failed. What's the attraction?

Anyway, I digress, from the OP screenies I didn't realize F3 was so poor in the GFX department. It could be the source (XBOX and/or shitty PC specs?) but it looks worse than Oblivion which predates it and was based on the same engine. Was the title that consolified that they couldn't thrown in some better textures?

What also sucks is that there are no tactical options other than to shoot and heal yourself, a problem that maybe has to do with that you don't really have a party you can control.

I also never liked the HP bloat, shooting somebody with 20 pistol rounds before they drop is dumb, no matter that you are supposed to use better guns on him.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Actually I thought everyone agreed that derp dialogue was the worst offense in F3?
Hell, I liked the game until :retarded: dog.

Also don't troll so obviously next time. :rpgcodex:

Angthoron

Arcane
Eh, it was more of a joke thing than a troll thing obviously. It was actually a bit amusing though didn't manage to capitalize on the ignorant derp angle enough.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
spekkio said:
10/10 Since all 10 apply to the whole Fallout Trilogy (Tetralogy?)

:troll:

Thread ruined.

:yeah:
5/10 I'd say, as it's a little definitely too obvious. Also, Fallout 2 did not have bottle caps as currency anymore (all the more stupid that FO3 does).
Effort is appreciated, though.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Nice HUD mod, though...

Ps. Modable shit's shit but nonmodable shit shitter is. But, I digress...

JaySn

Educated
This would be better if posted 10 years from the current date, when Fallout 3 will surely be remembered as a classic on the Codex.

Lexx

Cipher
You can bookmark the thread and bring it up again in 10 years.

UserNamer

Cipher
I always hated the "vaults are social experiments" part. It was a shitty idea from one of the original developers, but I think they didn't manage to put it into f2 like the other bullshit (mortal kombat city, talking everything, gay sex, thousands of piece of shit pop culture references)- or I'm remembering wrong?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
This is mostly (see 03) a outtake from my F3 review. There is no "chapter two" as I got bored immediately. This thread looks like the perfect opportunity to post it. Fuck you, Mighty Mouse. Pick a mighty mouse avatar, you dumb shit.

My Fallout 3 Journeyal
by Andyman Messiah

Chapter One: The Tutorial

01: Fuck you, Dad! (Part 1)
What: The game begins with your useless player character ass getting born. You come out of your mom. Your dad shambles forward to you and his words upon seeing what his ballsack managed to produce is "let's see... are you a boy, or a girl?" You are now given the choice to choose between penis and vagina.
Problem: Can you write a less obnoxious fourth wall-breaking shit line, Bethesda?
Solution: Omit that fucking line entirely, or send it back to the writer nailed to his child's forehead.

02: Your birthday party!
What: Welcome to ten years old, assface! We put together a little party and invited two thirds of all the people that live in this vault, half of which fucking hate your guts. Happy birthday.
Problem: This is the first we experience of life in the vault, and it sucks. Bethesda tries to make the player care about this place and fails extraordinarily at it.
Solution: You want us to care about these people, Bethesda? About this place? Well, then put in some better design chops into it, for fucking fucks sake.

03: Dad and baby hero come to Vault 101! OMG PLOT TWIST!!
What: This is supposed to be the plot twist revealed about halfway through the main quest!
Problem: It's not a plot twist if I can figure it out less than five minutes into the game.
Solution: Players: learn how to use your fucking ears. Bethesda: know your limitations. I mean, remember in DA2, when the entire game is revealed to be a dream and Alistair comes out of the shower? Now that was a plot twist.

04: Your dad, the only doctor.
What: Your dad is the only doctor in Vault 101. Let me repeat this, now that we know he was not an original vault dweller: your dad is the only doctor in Vault 101.
Problem: Are you fucking kidding me? Look, there are limits to how far you can defend this bullshit. The coincidence alone of Vault 101 suddenly needing a doctor when Dad and PC shows up at their doorstep is stupid.
Solution: The Vault 101 nonsense should be removed entirely.

05: G.O.A.T.
What: The Generalized Occupational Aptitude Test is how young adults are given their jobs. It's actually not a test at all, but rather a multiple choice survey akin to anonymous drug surveys handed out at school where you can lie about how many packs a day a cool sixteen year old like you go through. Do I even have to explain how problematic and retarded this is?
Problem: Intelligence not required. Not that I didn't expect it, but... seriously? Vault Dwellers receive their life long important positions on the Vault 101 work force by answering retarded multiple choice surveys?!
Problem: What are these questions and how on earth are they supposed to translate to any job?
Problem: Bethesda have no idea how skills work. Most notably, "Up yours!", "Scream for help" and "Pray to God" are not in any way acceptable speech or barter checks.
Problem: After the test you can freely change it however you like, even if you tell your teacher it came out perfect. Later in the game, you get a second chance at changing it.
Problem: Your teacher confirms that the entire "test" is a joke and that he got his position by answering randomly. Can we take this as actual in-game verification that there might be a lot of cases where the wrong people are on the wrong position?
Solution: I want to die.

06: Escape!
What: Your dad escape from the vault. Then you escape from the vault.
Problem: The Overseer and the guards try to kill you and everyone else from escaping.
Solution: The Overseer and the guards try to stop you and everyone else from escaping. I mean, holy fucking shit, this place only has like twenty inhabitants! Jesus! Be careful, goddammit.

07: Click to open vault door.
What: Even if you don't go through the secret Overseer tunnel, escaping isn't a big deal. Just take a right before you enter the reactor store room. Don't worry, it's not locked. Nothing is locked.
Problem: Escaping the vault is easy. Why hasn't it happened before?
Solution: Lock the doors and have guards positioned where having guards positioned matters.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Andyman Messiah said:
01: Fuck you, Dad! (Part 1)
What: The game begins with your useless player character ass getting born. You come out of your mom. Your dad shambles forward to you and his words upon seeing what his ballsack managed to produce is "let's see... are you a boy, or a girl?" You are now given the choice to choose between penis and vagina.
Problem: Can you write a less obnoxious fourth wall-breaking shit line, Bethesda?
Solution: Omit that fucking line entirely, or send it back to the writer nailed to his child's forehead.
02.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom