Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

WDeranged

Educated
Travis Baldree said:
Torchlight is a 20 buck, 11 month game, so there's a limit to our ambition ( I like to eat, and hey, I just lost a WHOLE ambitious game a month before public beta, so it'd be nice to get some money rolling in the door in a crummy economy with twenty-some-odd mouths to feed ) Plus, I like this kind of game for a 20 minute diversion. I love my RPGS, but occasionally (ok, often) I just want to beat the everloving crap out of something.

As far as its status as an RPG - well, let's not beat about the bush, it's in the lightest sense. There's no dialog trees, no moral choice. If you think of it as a casual action game with light RPG trappings, that's probably more accurate ( and is more or less what ARPG has come to mean ).

If you think of it as Fate+++ with moar blood, better levels and artwork, better loot, and a full mod kit, that's pretty close to the mark. It sure doesn't aspire to being classic Fallout or anything.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
1eyedking said:
I liked Risen.

(...)

But it had soul. It had personality. The characters were brimming with it. The locations were hand-tailored, and some seemed to whisper tales of past encounters at them, true to the Gothic games' style. Furthermore, the game was a step forward in many ways in regard to said series. It was, overall, solid.

But Torchlight? It has none of that. This is just another gimmick release for some quick bucks. At least I can now further tell the hay from the weed in these forums.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Torchlight isn't meant to be Risen. In terms of what has the Codex come to... I've been lurking on these forums for the better part of four or five years, had an old account I just forgot the e-mail/password, too. Not sure why people recall the 'glory days' of this website as it has pretty much always consisted of: circle jerks over half a dozen or so decade old crpgs, bland and unoriginal 'edgy/shock' humor,and a bunch of people acting pretentious about video games. A recent addition seems to be more blatant trolls and/or people in their early twenties who think it's cool to hype games they probably never played on initial release and trash anything in the recent era.

Unfortunately as much as I loved stuff like Planescape, Fallout, Monkey Island, etc. they are only so fun after the twentieth go round.

If you're totally wed to playing nothing but deeply developed crpgs then, yeah, I can understand why people wouldn't like stuff like L4D or Borderlands or Torchlight. It's not your genre, fine. But you'll forgive some of us who still play video games for fun and don't have exacting standards of choices and consequences, character customization, 'soul,' or whatever other X factor.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm having fun with it. Yes, it's nothing terribly terrific or outstanding, but it's a good way to kill some time -- a well-made, casual time-sink. When I get bored I load it up and play it for an hour or so.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
1eyedking said:
It had serious, deep design flaws such as a town you can't get out of to kill critters when you get tired of FedEx-questing around (which probably means you'll deplete all of the town quests before you get a chance to kill things again); an entirely anti-climatic, rushed ending; unbalanced skills; too small a world; many things left unexplained; and a couple of other details.

But it had soul. It had personality.

So now videogames are not to have fun but to fap to their personality?

Interesting

baronjohn

Cipher
Torchlight lol. RPG for preteens. Gameplay consists of click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click click click click click

I don't understand how people can play shit like that. At least Minesweeper engages your mind a bit.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't know if I finished the game.

spoiler
I killed a big bad thing. I went back to town and nothing happened. No credits rolled. Nothing, nada.

Super fucking anti-climax.

Multi-headed Cow

Fuck. Too many people were enjoying the game, and now the multiheaded dicks are coming out of the woodwork and slapping ass and thigh.
:mhd:

Multi-headed Cow

Zed said:
I don't know if I finished the game.

spoiler
I killed a big bad thing. I went back to town and nothing happened. No credits rolled. Nothing, nada.

Super fucking anti-climax.
Not sure if you beat the game, but if you did, there should be an option to close/delete that character and heirloom an item to a new character, and you should have access to an infinite dungeon so you can keep leveling and lewting with that guy if you want.

A user named cat

Apparently any type of casual/semi-casual game is satanic. Let's all just play Diablo 1 and never move on, because it had an intro video. Forget the ancient mechanics, simplicity, clunkiness, 640x480 blockiness on an LCD monitor, click mashing combat (no holding attack) and such. We need to appease the few angry twats that roam the Codex and hate everything.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
I liked Risen. It had serious, deep design flaws such as a town you can't get out of to kill critters when you get tired of FedEx-questing around ...
Harbor Town? You can.

1eyedking

Erudite
Sovard said:
The game is by no means easy on very hard. If you say this it means you probably haven't gotten very far into the game. Oh, right, it's so terrible you couldn't bring yourself to actually play the game for any length of time. Ever considered doing game reviews for The Escapist? IGN maybe?

He's raging on the internet about a game he stole- how quaint. I guess you got what you paid for, eh douchebag?
I've played it for 1 or 2 hours. I don't need more. I know lots of games that from the get-go you're fighting against insane odds at harder difficulties (X-COM, Civilization, Stronghold Crusader, Jagged Alliance, etc.). Those games are appropriately very challenging and require lots of time to master. Torchlight does not.

Phantasmal said:
Apparently any type of casual/semi-casual game is satanic. Let's all just play Diablo 1 and never move on, because it had an intro video. Forget the ancient mechanics, simplicity, clunkiness, 640x480 blockiness on an LCD monitor, click mashing combat (no holding attack) and such. We need to appease the few angry twats that roam the Codex and hate everything.
Ancient mechanics? Let's just say the genre hasn't progressed beyond offering different skill trees for each class; Simplicity? Complexity doesn't equal fun and in fact most often it's the contrary; 640x480 blockiness on an LCD monitor? Graphics whore detected, it's the art direction what matters; Click mashing combat? That's what makes it fun, you dumbfuck, ARPGs are supposed to translate clicking into satisfying, violent impacts. I would guess Dungeon Siege is your definition of a fun ARPG...

Just what this forum needs: an appeasable agglomeration of conformists.

Travis Baldree said:
Torchlight is a 20 buck, 11 month game, so there's a limit to our ambition ( I like to eat, and hey, I just lost a WHOLE ambitious game a month before public beta, so it'd be nice to get some money rolling in the door in a crummy economy with twenty-some-odd mouths to feed ) Plus, I like this kind of game for a 20 minute diversion. I love my RPGS, but occasionally (ok, often) I just want to beat the everloving crap out of something

As far as its status as an RPG - well, let's not beat about the bush, it's in the lightest sense. There's no dialog trees, no moral choice. If you think of it as a casual action game with light RPG trappings, that's probably more accurate ( and is more or less what ARPG has come to mean ).

If you think of it as Fate+++ with moar blood, better levels and artwork, better loot, and a full mod kit, that's pretty close to the mark. It sure doesn't aspire to being classic Fallout or anything.
OK Mr. Developer, how about I reinstall my Diablo II copy which has everything your game has plus atmosphere plus better music plus cutscenes plus multiplayer plus backstory plus more classes plus a better balanced skill tree plus a more creative art direction instead of playing your piece of crap quick cash-in clone?

Vault Dweller said:
1eyedking said:
I liked Risen. It had serious, deep design flaws such as a town you can't get out of to kill critters when you get tired of FedEx-questing around ...
Harbor Town? You can.
Yes, the guards were very eager in letting me out, and the switch behind the painting was very easy to find. Thank you for getting my point.

baronjohn

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Yes, the guards were very eager in letting me out, and the switch behind the painting was very easy to find. Thank you for getting my point.
You can jump/slide out of both the town and monastery easily.

1eyedking

Erudite
It's still a design flaw, provided it's the only town in the game.

But yes, that weakens my point somewhat.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just got this from Steam... really liking it. For a 20$ Diablo clone, it's a very enjoyable hack and slash romp. Well polished too.

A user named cat

1eyedking said:
Ancient mechanics? Let's just say the genre hasn't progressed beyond offering different skill trees for each class; Simplicity? Complexity doesn't equal fun and in fact most often it's the contrary; 640x480 blockiness on an LCD monitor? Graphics whore detected, it's the art direction what matters; Click mashing combat? That's what makes it fun, you dumbfuck, ARPGs are supposed to translate clicking into satisfying, violent impacts. I would guess Dungeon Siege is your definition of a fun ARPG...
Wait, mashing click until your hand hurts is more fun than holding it down to perform the same action? Diablo 1 had satisfying and violent impacts? What do I even say to some shit like that?

I don't even know what you're bitching about here really. Torchlight is Diablo updated, with newer features, a better inventory system and a better interface minus a bit of the dark atmosphere. Oh and yes, I'm a total graphics whore for wanting to play on my native res. Damn me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
lolrandom.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My AKIMBO WANDS fuck your sword all over.

2yl5nb8.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I started a new game now. A Vanquisher on Very Hard / Hardcore. Let's see if I'll regret it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You probably will but that's what makes it fun.

By the way, I hope that when the editor comes out someone will make a mod that will force you to click for each attack instead of letting the mouse button pressed like a pussy. That kind of game can only be enjoyed if you are able to translate clicking into satisfying, violent impacts.

Edit: Diablo is now the new hardcore.

Joe Krow

Erudite
I'm enjoying this so far. My only gripe is that I can't tell it from Fate. Aside from the obvious face lift it plays like a full conversion mod.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Sainte merde ... The guy took a weapon he found at lvl 3, maxed the skill to reduce enchanting failure and here is the result:

2handedpole.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom