Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Kingston said:
1eyedking said:
Way too...casual.

The game is exactly like Diablo 2, mechanics-wise, with some extra stuff added in. It's very much old-school. I certainly can't see anything dumbed-down about it. The game is easier than D2, but you can't just breeze through it. The main gameplay is very satisfying, it has that arcade feel that all games should have. It's not weighed down with stupid bullshit. The game doesn't have cover systems, CoD-style regenerating health, long cutscenes or any stupid gimmicks. It doesn't need any of them. It doesn't even have bloom!

Where you get this claim from is beyond me.

No cutscenes, yes. This is a good thing, IMO. There's nothing worse than a game with a generic/pointless story that goes on and on all the time (like in Disciples 2). There's virtually no story here, which means I can clickity click to my heart's content. It's still retarded though. :lol:

1eyedking said:
PS: I ended up reinstalling Diablo 1. Better graphics, better music, better gameplay, better atmosphere, etc. ...

Children with autism display specific types of odd or unusual behaviors. They may engage in self-stimulatory or repetitive behaviors; may be preoccupied with all-absorbing interests; or they react to or process sensory experiences differently than other children.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Torchlight doesn't have degrading equipment, though. That could be considered a 'dumb-down'.

At any rate, has anyone figured out the inheritance/heirloom system yet? I haven't seen any mention of it in the manual.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I wouldn't have the patience for hardcore. Roguelikes are one thing because the power progression is much faster, this, no thanks. But of course, I'm really not hardcore into this style of game. The only one I've ever had the patience to beat was Divine Divinity.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I am really digging it though. I played through the demo then went and bought it. It just .. FEELS .. right to play.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
I will admit that after the first four or so levels, which are VERY bland, the monsters do start to become a little more challenging. And I like the fact that you can load up your pet with crappy items and send him back to town to sell the loot.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
torchlightq.jpg

Is this supposed to be a reference to the first Diablo III trailer?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Does anyone know how skill damage is calculated? When I equip my weapon with my Alchemist, it slightly increases my spell damage as well. If I add skill points into Magical Weapons, which increases my weapon magical damage by 4%, does that mean that my spells get 4% more damage from my weapon max damage as well?

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Hobo Elf said:
Does anyone know how skill damage is calculated? When I equip my weapon with my Alchemist, it slightly increases my spell damage as well. If I add skill points into Magical Weapons, which increases my weapon magical damage by 4%, does that mean that my spells get 4% more damage from my weapon max damage as well?

Most skills get damage from your weapons, as well as adding their own damage. Damage per second (whattehell does that mean?) is what they use. It pretty much guarantees that no offensive skill will be useless.

I don't know if skills take the DPS straight from your weapons or after all effects from skills and other items are added. My guess is the latter.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Hey, Travis, you handsome bastard! In case you're lurking around, I have a suggestion for a patch: it'd be nice if all weapons merchants carry were automatically sorted by type. It would make shopping for weapons I actually give a damn about much easier.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
treave said:
Torchlight doesn't have degrading equipment, though. That could be considered a 'dumb-down'.

Then again equipment degradation always felt more like a nuisance than a game-defining feature. It was probably implemented as a way to balance your money income but in both Diablo game you get too much money anyway from selling loot, and you only handle some pocket change to Grizwold. Equipment repairs felt a lot more important in WoW, mostly because you do not get money at the same rate and each death heavily damages your equipment; it's a nuisance there but it at least has some kind of purpose.

1eyedking

Erudite
Kingston said:
1eyedking said:
Way too...casual.

The game is exactly like Diablo 2, mechanics-wise, with some extra stuff added in. It's very much old-school. I certainly can't see anything dumbed-down about it. The game is easier than D2, but you can't just breeze through it. The main gameplay is very satisfying, it has that arcade feel that all games should have. It's not weighed down with stupid bullshit. The game doesn't have cover systems, CoD-style regenerating health, long cutscenes or any stupid gimmicks. It doesn't need any of them. It doesn't even have bloom!

Jesus Christ, what is the Codex becoming? A piece-of-shit Diablo clone gets released with none of the charm of the originals, no sense of atmosphere whatsoever ("go to X town and do Y quests"), item-selling pets, generic bland cartoony art direction, generic bland interface, easy as fucking shit (even on Very Hard), and all of a sudden it's old-school? Fuck you. There's no introduction, no sense of purpose (which is what ultimately made Diablo feel so grand), no personality, no soul...just inane button mashing. Isn't this exactly what we've complaining about in the last 5 years or so?

Why the fuck do I want a watered down, uglier Diablo II when I can reinstall the latter anytime? Are you so fucking desperate to play something "new" you're going to submit yourselves to shittier standards? Just because it has Matt Uelmen in it?

All the developers wanted out of this game was a quick $20 cash-in. Know you've already contributed to the decline.

1eyedking

Erudite
I liked Risen. It had serious, deep design flaws such as a town you can't get out of to kill critters when you get tired of FedEx-questing around (which probably means you'll deplete all of the town quests before you get a chance to kill things again); an entirely anti-climatic, rushed ending; unbalanced skills; too small a world; many things left unexplained; and a couple of other details.

But it had soul. It had personality. The characters were brimming with it. The locations were hand-tailored, and some seemed to whisper tales of past encounters at them, true to the Gothic games' style. Furthermore, the game was a step forward in many ways in regard to said series. It was, overall, solid.

But Torchlight? It has none of that. This is just another gimmick release for some quick bucks. At least I can now further tell the hay from the weed in these forums.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
You sure like to stay vague while you're bitching. Granted, it's a good way to appear edgy but it won't help people take you seriously in a discussion.

1eyedking

Erudite
Where the fuck am I being vague? I think I've been very specific.

If you're in doubt about the games' true intent just read this article and feel your fail:

"Let people get to know the Torchlight universe and what to expect from the MMO when it comes out."

"The item transaction model lets you have as many games as you like; you put it away if you're done with it, and then you haven't paid anything extra. You decide how much commitment you want to put into it."

"With Diablo I and II, we charged for a box and people are still playing on BattleNet to this day. On the downside, we never got to expand the universe very much. You couldn't put a whole crew of people on expanding your game, because there just wasn't the revenue to do it"

"They'd developed an optional-purchase map to a special dungeon with generally better loot, or where enemies offer more experience. "The cool thing is you can bring your party into this dungeon so that only one person has to buy the map, and he can bring all his friends who haven't paid."

Have fun with your beta, single-player MMO.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
And how exactly do the quoted parts show that the game is bad? I'm not talking about the intent behind making the game, that means shit, but judging the actual product on its strenghts and weaknesses.

1eyedking

Erudite
Gragt said:
And how exactly do the quoted parts show that the game is bad? I'm not talking about the intent behind making the game, that means shit, but judging the actual product on its strenghts and weaknesses.
Strawman (yet again).

Serious_Business said:
This man is on a mission. Sir, your vain efforts to improve the paradoxal nature of man are noted.
:smug:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
1eyedking said:
Kingston said:
1eyedking said:
Way too...casual.

Jesus Christ, what is the Codex becoming? A piece-of-shit Diablo clone gets released with none of the charm of the originals, no sense of atmosphere whatsoever ("go to X town and do Y quests"), item-selling pets, generic bland cartoony art direction, generic bland interface, easy as fucking shit (even on Very Hard), and all of a sudden it's old-school? Fuck you. There's no introduction, no sense of purpose (which is what ultimately made Diablo feel so grand), no personality, no soul...just inane button mashing. Isn't this exactly what we've complaining about in the last 5 years or so?

You've got such a raging hard-on from all your anger that you've completely ignored what I've written. Perhaps you didn't even read my post, seeing as your reply has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. Try again.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
The game is by no means easy on very hard. If you say this it means you probably haven't gotten very far into the game. Oh, right, it's so terrible you couldn't bring yourself to actually play the game for any length of time. Ever considered doing game reviews for The Escapist? IGN maybe?

He's raging on the internet about a game he stole- how quaint. I guess you got what you paid for, eh douchebag?

WDeranged

Educated
1eyedking said:
All the developers wanted out of this game was a quick $20 cash-in. Know you've already contributed to the decline.

Didn't one of the devs come on here a few months ago and say exactly that?...it isn't meant to be an epic work of hardcore art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom