Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

A user named cat

HARDCORE IS MORE CLICKS

By the way, what skill reduces enchanting failure? I must've looked over it somewhere, what tree is it in?

Armacalypse

Scholar
Kingston said:
1eyedking said:
Way too...casual.

The game is exactly like Diablo 2, mechanics-wise, with some extra stuff added in. It's very much old-school. I certainly can't see anything dumbed-down about it. The game is easier than D2, but you can't just breeze through it. The main gameplay is very satisfying, it has that arcade feel that all games should have. It's not weighed down with stupid bullshit. The game doesn't have cover systems, CoD-style regenerating health, long cutscenes or any stupid gimmicks. It doesn't need any of them. It doesn't even have bloom!

Where you get this claim from is beyond me.
Instead it has 'potion mashing', pointlessly unidentified items and town portals. All these mechanics being "old school" makes it all right according to Codex standards though, and not dumbed down at all.

1eyedking

Erudite
Yes, having to hightail it back to Tristram when finding magical items of good weapon or armor bases after depleting your Identify scrolls wasn't thrilling at all. Deckard Cain was just an old nigger who liked to piss on wells and blame demons for it.

But pleasures were more simple back then. Obviously Torchlight is an improvement upon the archaic systems of old.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Playing this, good fun, I'm constantly dying on hardcore (which is the only way to play this btw) but yeah, Diablo clicking shit hells yeah, that's about it. I'd love to make a scene on how dumb this game is but then my valour is just not high enough today.

Heresiarch

Prophet
OMG 1eyedking's constant whining has made me losing interest in the game wut shall i do now

Completed the demo, and TBH... the game sucks

it isn't really a d-clone per say, it's far worse... torchlight is a clone-of-a-clone in that it is basically a remake of fate... also, the starting dungeon is filled with miner rat people... complete rip-off of the starting zone for humans in WoW.

it offers nothing new or original that hasn't been done before in other d-clones, nor does it do anything better to differentiate it from the rest of the pack.

titan quest, while linear with no random maps, does have a MP component, and is a helluva lot more fun that this P.O.S...

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Legion said:

it isn't really a d-clone per say, it's far worse... torchlight is a clone-of-a-clone in that it is basically a remake of fate... also, the starting dungeon is filled with miner rat people... complete rip-off of the starting zone for humans in WoW.

it offers nothing new or original that hasn't been done before in other d-clones, nor does it do anything better to differentiate it from the rest of the pack.

titan quest, while linear with no random maps, does have a MP component, and is a helluva lot more fun that this P.O.S...

Is the demo time-limited or does it end at a fixed point?

phanboy_iv said:
Legion said:

Is the demo time-limited or does it end at a fixed point?

*fixed point

Ashery

Prophet
At the end of the first major boss to be exact.

I came out of the demo thinking it was rather meh overall. If I buy it, it'll be a while after the toolset's released so that some decent mods are available (The skill tree being fucking awful is probably my main gripe).

aboyd

Liturgist
I think some people get confused by the Codex hive mind liking a simple game such as Torchlight because they don't realize that the Codex has a deeper level of hate. :)

Much of what we bitch about here is not that ARPGs suck compared to RPGs, but that some games foisted upon us as "true RPGs from heavan" are really just ARPG shit.

When an ARPG actually makes no pretensions and delivers precisely what is advertised, well, then it's difficult to fault that. Nobody here (aside from 1eyedking) would compare Torchlight to Risen because Torchlight makes no claim to be like Risen.

Everybody here who bought the game went in knowing exactly what they were getting -- a beefed up version of FATE, complete with fishing and pets, just like usual. Travis is consistent, he's a known quantity, and he delivered what he said he'd deliver.

So if you come at this expecting the Codex to hate it because it isn't like Fallout, well, then you don't understand the Codex. Many members of the Codex would rather reserve their rage & bile for the next game that swaggers like a gift from the RPG gods, and yet is full of BS fake choices, cut corners, and crap dialogue.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
aboyd said:
I think some people get confused by the Codex hive mind liking a simple game such as Torchlight because they don't realize that the Codex has a deeper level of hate. :)

Much of what we bitch about here is not that ARPGs suck compared to RPGs, but that some games foisted upon us as "true RPGs from heavan" are really just ARPG shit.

When an ARPG actually makes no pretensions and delivers precisely what is advertised, well, then it's difficult to fault that. Nobody here (aside from 1eyedking) would compare Torchlight to Risen because Torchlight makes no claim to be like Risen.

Everybody here who bought the game went in knowing exactly what they were getting -- a beefed up version of FATE, complete with fishing and pets, just like usual. Travis is consistent, he's a known quantity, and he delivered what he said he'd deliver.

So if you come at this expecting the Codex to hate it because it isn't like Fallout, well, then you don't understand the Codex. Many members of the Codex would rather reserve their rage & bile for the next game that swaggers like a gift from the RPG gods, and yet is full of BS fake choices, cut corners, and crap dialogue.

Well said.

Except for the Risen-part. Risen is the category of prententious game that are just ARPGs in point of fact.

Balor said:
Ok, admit it guys, who made this thread:

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2060

Hats off. Best troll ever. Rises valid points too, that adds + to A.

I doubt that it is 1eyedking, he lacks style.

Good stuff:

This is no Diablo sequel. This is Diablo 0.5. Rather than being the game Diablo should have been, it's the game that Diablo was lucky not to be... Of course, I've only tried "Normal" difficulty so far. "Normal" difficulty apparently translates to "Press the mouse button and everything within range of visibility drops dead and throws treasure at you.

:lol:

Felix

Arcane
I lost my character because of memory dump..... :x

And what is pretentious about Risen? they promised a Gothic-liked game and delivered.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Felix said:
I lost my character because of memory dump..... :x

And what is pretentious about Risen? they promised a Gothic-liked game and delivered.

It's at full game price. You do not sell shit for full game price. It's alright Torchlight isn't ambitious, since you only have to pay 20$ for it. Plus:

Risen's Marketing said:
Fantastic story with believable characters!

If you're familiar with the genre and are looking to take the next step into a mature, well-realized fantasy world, then this is it.

You will face a variety of actual choices that will guide you through the game and have an immense impact on the game world.

The addictive character development in terms of both skills and otherwise is quite astonishing.

The writing in this game is really quite superb... It's rare to see such good storytelling in a PC-game.

Korgan

Arbiter
Man, that's a great little hack-n-slasher. Nice timing, too - everyone is already salivating for D3, but it's still 15-20 months away.

Dyspaire

Cipher
screenshot005b.jpg

screenshot008zu.jpg

screenshot013h.jpg

What 10-year-old games heavily criticized at the time for being fugly may look like.

I don't know whether it was planned or not, but the graphics engine from Diablo2 has aged as well as any game I can think of.

When released, it was heavily derided (as many no doubt remember) for being truly ghastly. That initial 640x480 res before LoD came out was truly awful.

But the potential, I guess, was there all along.

I would daresay that Diablo2 now looks better than the Infinity Engine games at higher resolutions.

There is just so much detail that's now revealed. There was so much subtle animation going on that was almost undetectable before.

Torchlight is OK.

It's been said elsewhere, but the best thing about the game by far is Matt Uelmens' music. The fact that he is deliberately trying to emulate the Diablo1 sound is absolutely amazing. Listening to it feels like coming home. By far the best part of Torchlight.

The comparisons to Dungeon Siege are not entirely off the mark. Torchlight is a MUCH better game than DS1, which was really a tech demo and nothing more. But some of the game mechanics in Torchlight are definitely slapdash.

Totally worth $20.

These guys deserve to get paid. Say what you want about the Diablos, they are still bestsellers to this day; and I don't know a single serious pc gamer who hasn't logged some serious hours with both. They've already paid their dues 10x over, and given a lot of people a lot of fun already.

Can't wait to see what happens when the editor hits. This may end up being epic.

Derper

Prophet
That actually looks good! Wow, I don't know... what... how... no bloomsplosions? How is that possible?

Dyspaire

Cipher
More Diablo 2 pr0n...

screenshot015pj.jpg

screenshot018r.jpg

screenshot025b.jpg

My single biggest complaint with Torchlight is the art direction. Enough with the tiny-legged, giant-torso'ed warriors and spiky anime haircuts, please.

Why does everybody in game design seem to be almost ashamed of "Western-style" art design these days? Must everything be so cartoon-y?

Torchlight has atmosphere, but not enough. (again, excepting the perfect music.)

The backgrounds are nice enough. Decent detail. But the character models are tough to take. Just seen this style way too much lately.

(There is no other art style, only WoW.)

And spells don't have to always bombard the screen with over-the-top spectacle, ya know. It's a meme, but here it's true: Way too much bloom.

I will not be posting screenshots showing off Torchlight's graphics on a website 10 years from now. Apples and oranges, Budget and AAA... I know.

Just... less shiny, more subtlety, ok?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So I had like 10K in gold and I thought lewl, I'm going to spend all that gold and enchant this weapon I just found.

After spending like 9K in gold I had a pretty sweet, socketed weapon, and just because I was greedy, I tried one more time. The enchant failed, and the weapon was stripped of all enchantments and was put back exactly the way it was in the beginning.

awesome <3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom