Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

A user named cat

Windows XP SP3

Vault Dweller said:
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
1eyedking said:
I liked Risen. It had serious, deep design flaws such as a town you can't get out of to kill critters when you get tired of FedEx-questing around ...
Harbor Town? You can.
Yes, the guards were very eager in letting me out, and the switch behind the painting was very easy to find. Thank you for getting my point.
Not that. You can find an alternative way out by exploring the the upper area of the main gate. There was a similar, hard to find way into Khorinis in Gothic 2, so I kinda expected it.

It's not that hard to find - you're unlikely to not go up that walkway when doing the general quests, and once you do it's pretty obvious that you can jump the wall from there. It even gets mentioned in quest dialogue.

1eyedking

Erudite
What I was trying to say amidst the rage was that Risen's only town isn't the conventional, convenient type of most RPGs. You know, the kind were the main gate is the standard way-in/way-out, along with other easy, fast entry/exit points (and maybe a hidden smuggler's sewer grate or something).

For example, getting into Khorinis is troublesome in Gothic II, but getting out is as easy and natural as crossing the town gates. You can quest and kill critters for XP seamlessly.

Whatever. That said, I may have exaggerated the importance of what I consider a flaw in such a design. It's not like a thing like that doesn't happen here often :roll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multi-headed Cow said:
I would like to know more. Is that in the base game or something someone modded in/mocked up?

Willing to bet anything it's modded but... funny enough it looks like something that will be in Deathspank.

Balor

Arcane
Enchant strip chance is 6%, vs 2% at shrines.
If you have a mighty powerfully enchanted weapon, best to hunt down those enchanting shrines and upgrade from there. 3x less chance of a disaster is nothing to scoff at.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, alchemist + ember lance + very hard is lots of fun.
You get swarmed by enemies that can kill you in a few hits, but you get a weapon that can obliterate crowds in seconds in a VERY satisfying way.
My life before that was pretty hellish. I bet on lower difficulties Ember lance is OP to be sure.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Phantasmal said:
Windows XP SP3

Hmmmm... have you tried using DirectDraw instead of D3D?

I was kind of hoping you were using Vista so I could blame it on that!

You're using this patch? http://www.filefront.com/14112529/D2MultiRes-v102.zip/

It's the fact that you're having sound problems that's truly odd.

Perhaps it's the version of Diablo2? I'm using 1.12...

I dunno... if you still can't get it working, I'll keep trying to think of something. It's worth it.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
redundancy.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Itemization sucks ass in this game. I find a set helmet that gives me some shit resistances and 456 health. I find the same item and instead of the health it gives some shit like 8 Dexterity. Not enough item models. Too much particles and bloom on screen when combat commences; I can't see anything. The later dungeons are very drawn out and boring. Gave a look at the other classes skill trees and found nothing exciting. The only character that interests me is the alchemist, and even then it's only one skill tree, which isn't all too special in the first place.
After 3 days of playing and figuring out the mechanics and kinks I've come to realise that it's a weak game. Pretty much everything but the music leaves me very unsatisfied.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Hobo Elf said:
Itemization sucks ass in this game. I find a set helmet that gives me some shit resistances and 456 health. I find the same item and instead of the health it gives some shit like 8 Dexterity. Not enough item models. Too much particles and bloom on screen when combat commences; I can't see anything. The later dungeons are very drawn out and boring. Gave a look at the other classes skill trees and found nothing exciting. The only character that interests me is the alchemist, and even then it's only one skill tree, which isn't all too special in the first place.
After 3 days of playing and figuring out the mechanics and kinks I've come to realise that it's a weak game. Pretty much everything but the music leaves me very unsatisfied.

Yea I found this out too. Seems that set items are just like randomised rares, except for the set bonuses, unlike in D2 where set items were pre-defined. I haven't really run into any equipment that has totally changed my character's effectiveness. Enchanting is way overpowered. The spell effects are too flashy.

I still got my 20 bucks worth out of it. It's quite fun for a while and it's pretty addictive too.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
In a world where you can get 20 bucks for working 2 hours. Torment is only worth 30$ for the first copy anyways. :wink: Besides, by your definition of value, we shouldn't pay for anything since there's at least afew things out there that cost no money and are at least somewhat entertaining, therefore anything that costs money is infinitely more of a ripoff.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Well, I don't know if I've got lucky or something, but my Hard game with the ranged women character is absurdly easy. Up to level 17 and have died a grand total of 3 times. I should start again on very hard. :cry:

A user named cat

Dyspaire said:
Hmmmm... have you tried using DirectDraw instead of D3D?

I was kind of hoping you were using Vista so I could blame it on that!

You're using this patch? http://www.filefront.com/14112529/D2MultiRes-v102.zip/

It's the fact that you're having sound problems that's truly odd.

Perhaps it's the version of Diablo2? I'm using 1.12...

I dunno... if you still can't get it working, I'll keep trying to think of something. It's worth it.
I only tried it out once then uninstalled D2, still tired of that game. Used D3D and the 1.02 tool. The music problem might've been my DVD drive, it's starting to crap out on me. But I did notice that in sound options, music was muted by default after installing it so I'm not sure.

Blizzard are releasing a 1.13 patch pretty soon supposedly, though I checked and they've been at it for like a year now. In the new patch, higher resolutions will be supported so no need for a hacked patch.

made

Arcane
Casual game is casual. There is 0 depth to the combat, I find myself using only 2 abilities from the already very limited selection. Should probably restart on very hard as well but meh not worth it.

D3 better not be anything like this.

A user named cat

Yeah I got pretty bored of this game, went back to replaying Divine Divinity. Torchlight would be good for an office game, except for the horrible load times.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
What's with those load times? For a 500mb install, I am waiting like 15-20 seconds between screens. Boring.

karnot

Educated
Btw, alchemist + ember lance + very hard is lots of fun.
Except ember lance is bugged, and sometimes you press the button, mana drains, but no beam appears. Lots of fun when fighting bosses ! After a while i said "fuck it", and stopped playing alchemist altogether, at least until the first patch.

Too much particles and bloom on screen when combat commences; I can't see anything.
True, that. Archer has a bomb arrow shot, cant see shit when it hits, and you're supposed to spam it like mad. Ugh, its like Quake3 plasmagun.

Eh, I'm starting to get bored with it now. Around level 20... just got bored with it. I guess the fact that the there isn't an actual skill tree probably hurt it for me in the long run.

Ultimately, it's an alright game and a decent timesink.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Looks like Fate.

Walks like Fate.

Smells like Fate.

Feels like Fate.

Plays like Fate.

Well, what do ya know? It's Fate from the same guy with a new company and a new name. I wonder if he'll ever come up with a good game idea again in his life seeing as he has to've just about run Fate into the ground by now... (They must be very friendly with whomever owns the Fate rights...)

Speaking of the original Fate, I see that they also managed to bang out another title from that one too not too long ago..

I see that they use the OGRE engine for this one.

[EDIT=minor]
PLUS:
Editor, but limited.
MINUS:
no online

I mean WTF?! He copies his old game directly, adds very little(anything?) new and then doesn't even bother to add online multiplayer?! Thats the one thing that would've set this game apart from Fate in a real sense, but w/o they may as well fall this Fate: Torchlight.

From looking through their forums it sounds as if they needed this game to fund their MMO they've got in development. Looks like it was popular with the Fate crowd(obviously), but they seem to be in denial that it's just a Fate copy with a different name and looks to use alot of the same assets, or at least the monster models that I've seen look suspiciously familiar... almost like I've seen them somewhere else... where could that have been? Got it! Fate!
[/EDIT]

aboyd

Liturgist
????????

He made it clear that it was a quick project that relied upon his previous experience. He flat-out said it had many of the same features, such as pets & fishing.

It's weird to me to see you posting this "Aha! Fate!" stuff as if it's a revelation. We all know it's Fate with a maybe better engine and maybe better graphics. Some people bought it even though they own the first Fate.

Hell, I bought d2 after buying d1. This isn't unprecedented.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom