Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

cutterjohn

Cipher
phanboy_iv said:
cutterjohn said:
PLUS:
Editor, but limited.

Limited? It's the same editor they created all the game content with. There's nothing crippled about it.
scripting plus inherent engine limitations per game design.

[EDIT]
I love fanboi rage... :D
[/EDIT]

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
cutterjohn said:
phanboy_iv said:
cutterjohn said:
PLUS:
Editor, but limited.

Limited? It's the same editor they created all the game content with. There's nothing crippled about it.
scripting plus inherent engine limitations per game design.

[EDIT]
I love fanboi rage... :D
[/EDIT]

Er? It's limited because of the game type it's designed to create? Find me a game editor that isn't like that. That's a limitation inherent in all editors, not a failing of Torchlight's.

Also, it appears you're just now discovering all this. Have you read Travis' post? Played the game for any significant amount of time?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The 1.12 version is available. You'll need to reinstall the game as this isn't a patch but a brand new version of the game. One of the reason is that the files have been repacked in a different way that should give shorter loading times, and the other reason is that this version also acts as a demo if you haven't activated the game yet, letting you play the game for two hours.

Once you activated the game, it stays activated on this computer, so you do need to fear losing an activation by reinstalling. And once you reach the limit, you can simply beg/ask Runic for more.

If you purchased the game from another vendor from Runic, you'll need to get the updated version from them.

Edit: Runic did not plan it but since it is a new version, their DRM system requires you to activate the game again. The good news is that they decided to reset the number of activations back to the original 10 for everyone.

Tails

Arbiter
I tried out that new version with trial, and this game seems ok if someone likes such genre and casual games. The bigger step-off is Graphic style (I still await for a proper Diablo I spiritual successor) and overall atmosphere, though music is nice. Another con for damn DRM.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
After 2 hours of the trial: pretty fun, the cartoony style fits with the slightly over-the-top fantasy and music is ok. Played little with destroyer which seemed boring, alchemist was fine but the vanquisher is pretty awesome, played 1½ hours with her. I like that you are not only limited to bows - pretty soon I was dualwielding a pistol and a firewand. I'd like to buy it but I'm somewhat concerned that rest of the game is nothing but more of the same. Do the dungeons ever change? I'm already pretty bored of the mines.

Multi-headed Cow

You go from mines, to tomb, to jungle ruins, to spires of rock, to lava fortress, to ancient dwarf fortress, and that's as far as I've gotten.

It has pretty decent variety for a $20 game. If you like the base monster-whacking and loot-whoring gameplay that is.

It's pretty fucking horrible. Remember differently colored enemies in Diablo 2? Well in Torchlight you don't get even that, all enemies look the same, they just have different "levels". Not to mention there's only about 3-4 types of them in any given "dungeon". It's horrendously repeatable.

Since the game is 95% similiar to Diablo 2 anyway, seriously, there is absolutely no point in playing it. Just play D2.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Tails said:
Another con for damn DRM.

You can buy it at different places and each has its own DRM, in case you favour one over the other. I prefered to buy directly from Runic, and it has the advantage that patches are available sooner when they are ready. I do not mind at all the idea of activating the game with my key once with no further need to go online with it, though I do not like the 10 activations part. But to be fair, it doesn't seem like they mind that much if you install it on all your computers and they have been clamoring that you can easily have it reset by sending an email. It has to be seen first of course but considering that they are a very small company and probably depend a lot on word of mouth, I find it likely that they won't make much of a fuss. A good move from them was to reset the counters for everyone with the release of 1.2 since it asked people to activate the game again while it wasn't supposed to do that. There is also the question of "what do we do if you guys disapear?" and that is also something that annoys me, but so far their DRM system isn't giving a lot of troubles and I am inclined to believe them when they say that they do not want it to be trouble.

Multi-headed Cow said:
You go from mines, to tomb, to jungle ruins, to spires of rock, to lava fortress, to ancient dwarf fortress, and that's as far as I've gotten.

You're close to the end. After the dwarf fortress you move to the Dark Palace, very darkngrittynmature. You probably saw an incarnation of each kind of zone in different games, but they all feel fairly different with a few unique touches.

Multi-headed Cow said:
It has pretty decent variety for a $20 game. If you like the base monster-whacking and loot-whoring gameplay that is.

Yeah, there isn't much more to that but it does it well. The passive skills aren't very exciting, and are the same for all characters, but most of the active skills are useful and let you develop different strategies for killing baddies. You can sometimes combine a skill with a spell to increase the effect, which is also fun to experiment with.

Emotional Vampire said:
Since the game is 95% similiar to Diablo 2 anyway, seriously, there is absolutely no point in playing it. Just play D2.

There is a least one big difference: Torchlight is designed for single player mode while Diablo 2 is designed for multiplayer, and even its single player mode feels that way. Levels in Torchlight aren't too big and have a better pacing compared to the huge areas of Diablo 2. This game feels closer to Diablo when it comes to the dungeon, with quite a few elements from Diablo 2 when it comes to the gameplay.

Anyway I plan to replay it on Very Hard because Hard isn't that hard, except for the last area that cranked the difficulty up a bit. Oh and the last boss really feels like a last boss, unlike the others that didn't really pose much of a challenge. That was a pretty interesting and long fight.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
P. fun, but soooo easy. I'm playing vanquisher on hard difficulty (in the jungle/ruins atm) and own the mobs with a Ricochet "special" - it uses low amounts of mana, so I don't even use the normal attack anymore. 2-3 shots is enough for any mob group - bosses go down after 5-6 shots. The monsters are to slow and dumb to get close to you so you can invest all points in the offensive skills/attributes.

Also: music.

No, seriously, I don't get it. It's a rip-off of Diablo(and, sadly, Diablo 2), just like everything else in the game. What's your point?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Emotional Vampire said:
No, seriously, I don't get it. It's a rip-off of Diablo(and, sadly, Diablo 2), just like everything else in the game. What's your point?
Ummm... that's Matt Uelmen ripping off himself.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Using the same style doesn't really equate to ripping off. Besides art is about theft: not plagiarism, which is illegal, but studying stuff that worked and picking up the elements that made it possible to work, and possibly adding in your own personal touch.

I do not find it unlikely that Uelmen decided to reference musics of the Diablo games in the Torchlight soundtrack. After all the game is supposed to be very similar so why not try to get the Diablo vibe with the music? The Torchlight and Tristram themes have some similitudes, like in their use of strings, but there are also obvious differences in style.

Else if it has indeed been "ripped off", why not show it?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
So how do I do more than 4-5 damage per hit to the first boss? Playing Alchemist on Hard. Only thing that does much damage is that shock-glove attack, which has the unfortunate result of putting me in range to get punched back for about half my health.

karnot

Educated
There is a least one big difference: Torchlight is designed for single player mode while Diablo 2 is designed for multiplayer
Funny you say that, i had way more fun in D2 singleplayer than in this piece of garbage. It very much feels like they made the graphics, invited the composer guy...and then funds just ran out unexpectedly, because there is nothing else in the game, nothing at all.

Grifthin

Educated
Got Torchlight last night on steam. It's a surprisingly fun little game to kill time with. Got a level 25 Alchemist now - just maxed all the pet skills, Got 6 imps, robot, wolf coupla zombies following me around. Like the sound track - very diablo 1.

Grifthin

Educated
Yes - D1 music was fucking awesome. Anyone know where to find the mp3's of it perhaps ? Apon some more playing Torchlight sounds more like D2. The one track sounds very similiar to the Act 1 and tristram music.

Well for the price I payed torchlight has not turned out bad at all. The endless dungeon you unlock is rather challenging and there's fuck loads of loot. A loot whore's dream.

J1M

Arcane
hoodoo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnDXENq_Tpw
Please tell me this is a parody of reviews. It's so full of tropes and hyperbole that it should be funny, but so long and banal that it is not.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Anyone found any mods or total conversions being worked on? Where is the Diablo TC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom