Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
experiencepoints-2009-10-28___Selected.jpg

1eyedking

Erudite
I seriously dislike high resolutions in pixel-based 2D games since you can tell bitmaps weren't meant to be seen in such a tiled disposition. Things look way too small.

That said, those screenshots on the previous page were making my eyes bleed. Diablo II is a RPG, not a RTS game; it looks fine on 640x480, and I sometimes prefer it for melee classes over 800x600. What the engine seriously needed and still needs is an anti-alias of sorts (such as the one Fallout: Tictacs had).

Also...
There is just so much detail that's now revealed. There was so much subtle animation going on that was almost undetectable before.
Cool story bro.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I died. Very Hard on Hardcore with the Vanquisher was pretty difficult after a while. 2 boxes from level 15.
:codexrage:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Typical faggotry. I keep finding ridiculous melee gear and my friend keeps finding alchy gear. If only there was some way to play with my friends over some kind of networking.

Armacalypse

Scholar
Berekän said:
Yeah, this seems to be one of those "addicting" games. Oddly though that is the sort of game I grow tired of the fastest. I downloaded the game because I trust The Codex's tastes, played an alchemist and got tired at level 7, the next day I played a destroyer and got tired at level 7. I might pick one of them up again sometime, but right now I'm just tired of the game and it's simple repetitive gameplay.

In comparison, I could play Risen for hours and hours at a time on the first chapters.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Ashery said:
At the end of the first major boss to be exact.

I came out of the demo thinking it was rather meh overall. If I buy it, it'll be a while after the toolset's released so that some decent mods are available (The skill tree being fucking awful is probably my main gripe).

That's unfortunate then, after that boss is when the game really took off for me. Also that's when the difficulty bumped up.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Are you kidding? I can't for the life of me get through that boss on veryhard/hardcore. He just kills me in one hit, wtf. Guess I'm a gigantic faggot.

Serious_Business said:
Are you kidding? I can't for the life of me get through that boss on veryhard/hardcore. He just kills me in one hit, wtf. Guess I'm a gigantic faggot.

I cheated a bit. If you go up one level he won't attack you, but you can hit him. I felt dirty doing it, but it was the only way I could beat him.

Don't judge me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Serious_Business said:

Feed you pet some fish.. like turn him into an elemental (they shoot magic). That saved my ass on one boss.. that and sniping him with a ranged weapon, with my melee dude.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I'm having trouble with the final boss? (the old corrupted guy) and I am playing an alchemist. I totally made the wrong choices with this character. I played him as a melee for a while, and currently he uses a rifle. I chose my attribute points based on items I currently had and wanted to use instead of a long term strategy. I am currently level 26.

I like the no respecs, and the shared stash.

Does anyone have specifics on the difficulty levels? Do you get more experience per kill, or better items? I first started the game on very hard, but I changed to normal because it's stupid. All that seems to change is that the bad guys take longer to kill.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
1eyedking said:
I liked Risen. It had serious, deep design flaws such as a town you can't get out of to kill critters when you get tired of FedEx-questing around ...
Harbor Town? You can.
Yes, the guards were very eager in letting me out, and the switch behind the painting was very easy to find. Thank you for getting my point.
Not that. You can find an alternative way out by exploring the the upper area of the main gate. There was a similar, hard to find way into Khorinis in Gothic 2, so I kinda expected it.

vazquez595654 said:
Does anyone have specifics on the difficulty levels? Do you get more experience per kill, or better items? I first started the game on very hard, but I changed to normal because it's stupid. All that seems to change is that the bad guys take longer to kill.
On the harder difficulties you get less gold and less unique/magic item drops.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Satori said:
vazquez595654 said:
On the harder difficulties you get less gold and less unique/magic item drops.

I still get a shitload of green stuff (way too many green drops actually), does it only lower the drop of high quality items (like unique and set parts)?

Playing on hard, it's still piss easy. Is there any way to change the difficulty without starting over?

Elzair

Cipher
Annie Carlson said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they including the toolset with the game? I talked to some Runic guys at PAX, and they said they put the game together in ELEVEN MONTHS - all art and design stuff taken from scratch (and that they were basically able to do so because their toolset was so good). That's fucking insane, and I can tell you that truly - I don't doubt that they did take a lot of art direction and design choices from Mythic, but all the same, Storm of Zehir took 9 months - and that was an expansion, and already we were really hard-pressed to get shit done. I think that 11 months were earned in the proverbial blood-sweat-tears way, so if it's a quality product then my hat is off to those guys, and I'm picking this sucka up.

I heard Icewind Dale only took 4 months. I don't know if that is true, though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only been playing for a bit but I thought this item was fairly cool for my minion build Alchemist:

torchlightb.jpg

Excidium said:
I still get a shitload of green stuff (way too many green drops actually), does it only lower the drop of high quality items (like unique and set parts)?
On Very Hard there's fuck all in terms of unique/magic items, level 11 and have only just got fully geared up with greens.

1eyedking

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Not that. You can find an alternative way out by exploring the the upper area of the main gate. There was a similar, hard to find way into Khorinis in Gothic 2, so I kinda expected it.
Yes, I just found about it on a recent playthrough. An NPC hints at escaping being as simple as that, actually.

Goddamn sandbox games. Or rather, goddamn linear games that nurture laze of thought. It's still a contrived way out, anyhow.

PS: are you playing this, VD?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
PS: are you playing this, VD?
Torchlight? Disappointed pretty much for all the reasons you mentioned. Too easy, too casual, too pale compared to either Diablo game. It just doesn't offer ... anything (other than "click and watch things die" entertainment which gets boring after 15 min).

Heresiarch

Prophet
Serious_Business said:

I find the difficulty, on Very Hard, exactly right when fighting the first boss with my Vanquisher. Just basic kiting (frost pilum helped alot) and a few pots and it's ok. It hits insanely hard though, but at most it hit me for 1/2.

A user named cat

I installed Diablo 2 again for a minute to try out that D2Multires patch and played on 1680x1050. It really sucked. Everything is dinky and the camera is just zoomed way too far back. It also has some other bugs - game wouldn't play music anymore, quests icons wouldn't show up until I was within close range and some text showed up invisible at certain spots.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Phantasmal said:
I installed Diablo 2 again for a minute to try out that D2Multires patch and played on 1680x1050. It really sucked. Everything is dinky and the camera is just zoomed way too far back. It also has some other bugs - game wouldn't play music anymore, quests icons wouldn't show up until I was within close range and some text showed up invisible at certain spots.

OS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom