Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Still waiting for it, replaying Diablo while waiting. It seems promising that they gave four difficulty levels, though from some comments it seems that normal is still too easy and the real action is in hard and very hard. It looks like they are all available from the start, including hardcore mode, and that's npt a bad thing because I dislike that faggotry of forcing you to complete the game on normal before unlocking higher difficulty levels.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Yep, even the nub journo's that previewed it recommended at least hard mode. I may even start out with a hardcore run - that'd be a first for me :D

If the fucking thing EVAR FINISHES DOWNOADING THAT IS!! :evil:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
There are reports that the leaked version isn't the final retail one and has some bugs left. So if you go that way, beware! From what I read, final should show 1.1 on the title screen.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Been playing for an hour now, nothing more than improved Fate game. That's still good, I guess. Combat is very fluid, visuals are nice and everything else is just as you could expect.

Edit: I pirated it and it's 1.1, figures. Also, being a Diablo clone it still lacks multiplayer. Good fun for time until Diablo 3 comes out but not worth to pay money for.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's a million times better than Borderlands that's for fucking sure.

That said it's not very good. It's good but not very good. Like 3/5-good.

I don't like the minimap, some of the character design and that you can't use some sort of "mass identify" (or can you?). The pet seems kind of useless except for the ability to send it off to sell shit in town.

I'm playing the summoner/mage guy (necromancer being my favorite D2 character) and I like his skills and how he plays. I also dig the music, it sounds very Diablo'ish. However the game is far too colorful and bright to give it a full Diablo atmosphere.

It's a great value game and if you aren't a jew like me you should probably buy it if you like Diablo 2. And if you are a jew it's only 550mb to download.

Stabwound

Arcane
Shit is way too easy. I started on the hardest difficulty and it's still easy.

I don't know why they'd go with a system like this rather than the tried and true system in Diablo 1 and 2, where you can finish a game and then play in a harder difficulty where you get better drops. In Torchlight, you can play the hardest difficulty from the beginning, and all it seems to do is make the enemies harder and no affect anything else.

Kraszu

Prophet
Stabwound said:

I don't know why they'd go with a system like this rather than the tried and true system in Diablo 1 and 2, where you can finish a game and then play in a harder difficulty where you get better drops. In Torchlight, you can play the hardest difficulty from the beginning, and all it seems to do is make the enemies harder and no affect anything else.

I actually prefer to choose difficulty at start, in Diablo system you will alweys be forced to play at least 1/3 of the game that is way to easy. Not commenting on torchlight becouse I haven't played it yet.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stabwound said:

Because the target audience isn't exclusively experienced gamers. They cast a wide net so you will inevitably have difficulty levels that seem 'too easy.' Sort of like Plants vs. Zombies. The game wasn't a challenge by any stretch of the imagination but it was still loads of fun and a fairly big success.

Multi-headed Cow

majesticbrownhorse.jpg

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So you have a shot at taking a slice out of Diablo3 (which is coming out in 2029, as far as we know), and you choose to debut without multiplayer coop ?

(scratches head)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They're gonna follow up with an online game. Probably a free-to-play MMOG-thingy and probably a failure like Mythos. Then they will disband and start a new studio and make cellphone games. And Blizzard Entertainment will release Diablo III and make a gazilliontrillion dollars.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Max said, while they are making a similar game to Diablo III, they are not going to try to directly compete with D3. He said that D3 can have the small MP type games, and that Torchlight is going the more true MMO route, to try to step around D3.

I don't think it makes sense, but then again, what can they do? They don't have the money to have free online service like battle.net.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
vazquez595654 said:
Max said, while they are making a similar game to Diablo III, they are not going to try to directly compete with D3. He said that D3 can have the small MP type games, and that Torchlight is going the more true MMO route, to try to step around D3.

I don't think it makes sense, but then again, what can they do? They don't have the money to have free online service like battle.net.

No, but if I wrote a co-op TCP/IP proof-of-concept similar to that of Diablo (including movement interpolation, fixed bandwidth+unlimited monsters, lag tolerance) in 2 months, then so can they - and then just let us host our own games with friends and/or dedicated servers. Who wants to play games with pubbies these days anyway ?

LazyD

Liturgist
I am a proud pub scrub... Nothin wrong with playing with strangers. Especially if they have candy.

Dl'd it from my trusty private tracker in about 2 mins.. giving it my first try after i post this gay shit.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm having a wonderful time with this so far. Playing a destroyer on hard and hardcore. The biggest test will be seeing how well it stacks up aftew days/weeks of playing with multiple characters and shit, but even if I get one fun playthrough out of it I think I'll get my $18 worth of fun.

fractal

Novice
Played on Hardcore/Very Hard with a Vanquisher and got to the 7th Floor. Until then it was on the easy side, but I managed to get caught in the middle of several wraiths/zombies/skeletons and got myself killed. At least I deposited a few unique items in the shared stash.

The pet was far from useless, at least for my ranged character. Teach it some spells and it will hold off mid-sized groups.

Multi-headed Cow

Got myself killed on dungeon level 3 like the big newbie I am. Unfortunately I shift-tabbed to talk to guys on Steam, and that flipped my AoE attack to my elemental spell buff power, then 10-15 bat guys jumped down on my from above and I started right clicking.

Welp.

Chrononaut

Novice
Playing Hardcore/Very Hard with a Vanquisher, now on the 4th floor. Very much fun so far, and I absolutely love the music.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Stabwound said:

Start is understandably easy but I can see the difficulty going higher as I go down and I wonder what will happen next, and I have yet to try Very Hard.

Only Diablo 2 allows you to replay the game at higher difficulty. Diablo has only one difficulty level, and while you can replay the game with the same character, and maybe get different quests and loot this time around, the difficulty is the same, unless you use the controversial Hellfire expansion.

I prefer the Torchlight system of having all difficulties unlocked right away, because the tried and true system of Diablo 2 is a bit retarded.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
vanquishers are fun. my only gripe is that hard doesn't seem to be hard at all.
haven't spent a single skill or attrib point yet and i still kick ass.
the maps to lost dungeons should be rarer too, i think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom