Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Stabwound

Arcane
Kinda funny how most people actually like Steam, because I remember the nerdrage over it when it was first released as mandatory with Half Life 2.

Multi-headed Cow

It's because it has gotten better. I also nerdraged over Steam when it was released and didn't buy HL2 until a year or two after. By then Steam was pretty inoffensive.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Steam is still bullshit because while most people have internet connections, that has nothing to do with playing a single player game. By requiring Steam, they are requiring you to have internet service. So the price of Half-Life 2 wasn't $50 on release. It was $50 + ($20 each month) depending on how much you pay for internet monthly.

I'm still not sure which service to buy the game from. Now I am trying to find which one is the easiest to crack. Wouldn't it suck if 10 years from now, Steam no longer existed and I wanted to play an old classic (Torchlight), but I couldn't because the Steam servers no longer existed?

Stabwound

Arcane
vazquez595654 said:
Wouldn't it suck if 10 years from now, Steam no longer existed and I wanted to play an old classic (Torchlight), but I couldn't because the Steam servers no longer existed?
And that is one of the biggest flaws of DRM. It's guaranteed that eventually Steam is going to shut down, and by that time no one is going to give a fuck whether or not you can play Torchlight from 15 years ago.

Balor

Arcane
Stabwound said:
vazquez595654 said:
Wouldn't it suck if 10 years from now, Steam no longer existed and I wanted to play an old classic (Torchlight), but I couldn't because the Steam servers no longer existed?
And that is one of the biggest flaws of DRM. It's guaranteed that eventually Steam is going to shut down, and by that time no one is going to give a fuck whether or not you can play Torchlight from 15 years ago.

Well, a 'no-DRM' patch will surely be introduced then.
And if not... a 'no-DRM' patch would be avalable on a torrent site near you :).
It is just about supporting the devs, so can have MOAR.

getter77

Augur
Could just get it from Gamersgate maybe on the DD side? Haven't heard of anything amiss there and they don't have a Steam styled client to worry with.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
roll-a-die said:
But, you fail to take into account that our preferences influence what we, ourselves perceive as good or bad. Moreover people will critique things in different ways within their minds again, based upon their preferences.

That's why a good critic leaves his bias and preferences behind him when doing his work, because that kind of stuff has no place in serious criticism. Your last phrase also show exactly why subjectivity is bad, because it is fickle and vary greatly between people and over time within a single person. You just can't build anything on that sort of ground and debating quality under that angle is completely pointless. Whether some work is good or bad has nothing to do with us and our perceptions.

roll-a-die said:
There really is no reason not to use steam.

I can find a few, and that's why I do not use it.

Balor said:
Well, a 'no-DRM' patch will surely be introduced then.

There is no way to be certain of that, and there is certainly no legal obligation for the software developpers to do it. Imagine the worst-case scenario where they go belly up in a dozen of years, would someone really spend his time writing a patch of some kind to remove the DRM for old games? Or what if the DRM is an old technology and the source and documentations can't found anymore?

Issuing that kind of patch if the service goes down is certainly the right thing to do, but there is no certitude it will be done in that kind of situation.

Else there is another positive review of Torchlight. Not very long and not very in-depth, though it gives some little bits of informations. It seems the quests won't be randomised but give good rewards, which is a good incentive to get them done because I remember a few ARPG with many quests but crap rewards and in a way doing the quest itself, if it was fun, was the reward. It seems that many developers copied elements of Diablo over time but somehow forgot what made them great: talking of quests, while it has not many of them, each gives you a generous reward when you complete it. Good to read also that the focus is about following the storyline and progress through the dungeon rather than repeatedly go back to kills a boss and hope it will drop something, like in Diablo 2. I assume the world doesn't reset when you quit and come back, but there is no mention of that or how the saving is handled. The review also repeat that the pet is a very cool part of the game, which makes me happy if it's true.

Bah I wish there was a more substantial preview/review but I'll probabl end up buying it.

Stabwound said:
Kinda funny how most people actually like Steam, because I remember the nerdrage over it when it was first released as mandatory with Half Life 2.

Ironically, I was defending it when it came out. Now I see what a huge-ass failure it is though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Emotional Vampire said:
Stabwound said:

Ironically, I was defending it when it came out. Now I see what a huge-ass failure it is though.

And in doing so, you became stronger.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
vazquez595654 said:

15+ years ago I paid $50 or so dollars for things like Secret of Monkey Island. Needless to say I no longer have the 5 1/4" disks handy so if I wanted to play it again I'd have to pay the $5 or whatever Lucas Arts charges for it now.

People are technically right when they call Steam a 'rental' service but who cares... I'll worry about ten years down the line when it arrives and I doubt at the top of my list of concerns will be having to re-buy (at a drastically reduced price) a game I bought a decade ago.

Only complaint I have about Steam is that their prices are horrible so I only buy things on sale.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Panthera said:
Gragt said:
There is no way to be certain of that

There are exactly zero games that do not have a no-DRM patch.

Completely not true. There are pretty much zero bigger releases that haven't been cracked, but there is a decent amount of stuff that just slips through the cracks, because... who cares?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
And I also remember some cracks creating issues with some games. It's rare but it happened. That's why I avoid them and prefer to use cd emulation.

Anyway only a few hours left before the game is available.

Multi-headed Cow

That generally gets straightened out by the crackers though. Bioshock used to have problems with the no CD, but it got fixed.

Also some problems with that Giant Bomb movie. They weren't sure why the items weren't in the stash, it's because there are separate hardcore and normal stashes. Difficulty otherwise doesn't matter to it. And you don't find or buy fish, you fish them.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, they sounded sort of dumb at some point. I assumed the stash problem was due to hardcore mode, but I already knew about the fishing mini-game.

I'm getting impatient to see it run on my pc (that's for "personal computer" by the way) because the action certainly looks good.

Oh and by the way it's a 20 bucks game so do not expect a lot of window dressing and FMV and the like.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Well, it's Tuesday (27th) night here already. Even allowing for time-zone differences it's Tuesday morning in the northern hemisphere - so when the fuck can I download this thing. :evil:

Funny, I pre-ordered from gamersgate who lists the release date as 27th Oct. but I see on Steam it's listed as the 28th. I wonder if Steam is allowing for time-zones?

spekkio

Arcane
Game is out and ready for inventory non-removal, courtesy of nice people from Skidrow.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This is one of the few games I've decided not to pirate, so I'm sending the devs my money.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, I pirated it. A bit disappointed initially, but after a few levels I was hooked. Definitely paying for this game.

Regret using normal difficulty though, game seems very easy so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom