Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Multi-headed Cow

It will sell well because it will be the single greatest action RPG ever made. The sales will start out slow and then pick up as word of mouth reaches critical mass, and Runic will overtake Blizzard and Blizzard will collapse under the weight of their jewry and Runic will ascend to become the new heavenly gaming company.

crazy_dave

Educated
Well Blizzard was pretty good, before they became rich and greedy... Now the just conform the ignorant masses with their games... But their games can still be fun sometimes... :lol:

Multi-headed Cow

Thanks for linking those, looking good, though the pop-in on the monsters is way too close.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
God, the music! I knew Matt Uelmen wouldn't disappoint.

Going to have a good time with this.

Edit: The environment, coupled with the music, just oozes character. Animations and effects look great, too. $20 well-spent.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Ho.leee.shit! And this took less than a year to make? What, is it only 3hrs long or something?

Looks almost as good as what I've seen of D3 so far.

Fuck me modders are going to have a field day with this. Goddamit, I'm going to re-make Arcarnum with this engine. I wonder if the engine allows for TB combat? Fuck it, if it doesn't I'll find a way :cool:

roll-a-die

Magister
Considering how utterly boring and pointless Diablo 1/2 were, I'm surprised the genre even exists.

Multi-headed Cow

23:52 Sol Invictus : My copy of Torchlight is downloaded.
23:52 Quintessence : on hard he ALMSOT ifnished the phase portal
23:52 Hero : :P
23:52 Sol Invictus : time to play it.
23:52 LtgCrabfish : what does the iron man give you?
23:52 UncleJIm : or if you would have drank tha last potio
23:52 Sol Invictus : I'll set up a livestream.

Get out of there with your advertising, Sol Invictus.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
roll-a-die said:
Considering how utterly boring and pointless Diablo 1/2 were, I'm surprised the genre even exists.
Diablo 1 was fucking awesome, go die now, troll.

This game looks cool, but I think I'll wait for some gameplay impressions from you guys before deciding to buy.

roll-a-die

Magister
What is awesome and what is not is subjective.

I personally don't like the A-RPG genre very much. The strategy basically boils down to,

1. Kite mobs in circle sending out directed AOEs to burn them down.
2. Repeat
3. ????
4. Win game.

As well as the fact that in most cases A-RPGs rely on multiplayer to hold them up when they have a weak single player and I am much to antisocial to play with real people.

Also If you had read any of my posts you would know I try to not troll or even argue very much. Except in the case that that the person is being an idiot or presenting fiction as fact.

circ

Arcane
I have no problems with A-RPG's, but Fate doesn't even do that well for very long. Here's Fate essentially, and after watching gameplay vids of Torchlight, it too - Run around town getting quests from peeps. Buy stuff. Go into dungeon level 1 or 2. Kill mob. Return item(s) to peeps if applicable. Buy better gear. Repeat. The only difference between dungeon level 1 and the rest are new mobs and bigger dungeons, with an endless array of breakable jars and the like with boring stuff. Fishing was the only remotely interesting thing after a while and that got tiresome too. I'll take classic rogue likes over Fate any day.

roll-a-die

Magister
As would I circ. But allot of people are attracted to the loot meta-game but dislike ASCII/tile based graphics.

(Goes back to playing I.V.A.N.)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
roll-a-die said:

The fact that the genre exists implies that they weren't boring and pointless. You probably just have bad taste.

Stabwound

Arcane
circ said:
Considering how ultimately boring as shit Fate was, I'm surprised at the copious cock sucking directed in Torchlight's general direction.
Exactly, I was just going to say something like this. I'm assuming no one has played Fate, because this looks exactly like an updated version of it, and that game, well, was garbage.

roll-a-die

Magister
Gragt said:
roll-a-die said:
What is awesome and what is not is subjective.

Nope.

So you are telling me that if everyone says "Cloverfield" or Dan Brown are awesome. I'm supposed to nod along and not point out the shoddy factors of the author/movie in question.

To bring it to something Codex would understand so just because everyone else said Oblivion was the most revolutionary RPG since Akalabeth. We're just supposed to agree with them?

The fact is people have different ideas within their mind that pertain to the things that they like. I.E. THE FUCKING DEFINITION OF SUBJECTIVE. Which is, "Existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought."

I like Johnny Cash. Some of my friends don't. So when they come over and find that I play Johnny Cash constantly they ask me to stop because THEY don't like it.

Note the fact the I separate Myself and Them. Because everything is subjective between you and the person to the left. For example, I prefer the 1989 Batman over The Dark Knight. Most people my age don't even realize that there was a 1989 Batman movie.

Another one, most people my age prefer sweets over actual food. I however(once again separating Myself from Them) prefer vegetables or fruit before most snacks/candies out there.

For a funny one. Arnold Schwarzenegger has commented that HE prefers the pump over the real thing. Whereas MOST PEOPLE would prefer to fuck real pussy.

Now a three-way. My girlfriend likes sucking cock. Most women don't. I don't either.

Also Xor I'm not ignoring you here I have accepted that I have bad taste. But taste is something subjective. What you think tastes bad is also someones favorite food. I like chicken more than beef and pork and I hate fish but am apathetic to crustacean. For someone else this may be completely reversed.

People have loved bad things in the past case-in-point Hitler was absolutely ADORED by most of the German people so much so that there was a huge backlash when it was found that he was irrevocably evil. It exists to this day in Germany for example you can't even show a swastika in a game there. For a more current example. Hm cigarettes are fairly popular amongst people yet they are incredibly bad for you.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
circ said:
I have no problems with A-RPG's, but Fate doesn't even do that well for very long. Here's Fate essentially, and after watching gameplay vids of Torchlight, it too - Run around town getting quests from peeps. Buy stuff. Go into dungeon level 1 or 2. Kill mob. Return item(s) to peeps if applicable. Buy better gear. Repeat. The only difference between dungeon level 1 and the rest are new mobs and bigger dungeons, with an endless array of breakable jars and the like with boring stuff. Fishing was the only remotely interesting thing after a while and that got tiresome too. I'll take classic rogue likes over Fate any day.

And that description doesn't apply to Diablo?

Diablo was pretty much that, but with gobs of atmosphere and polish. Torchlight so far looks pretty much like that, also with lots of polish and atmosphere.

Most all modern ARPGs look pretty much like that.

roll-a-die

Magister
phanboy_iv said:
circ said:

And that description doesn't apply to Diablo?

Diablo was pretty much that, but with gobs of atmosphere and polish. Torchlight so far looks pretty much like that, also with lots of polish and atmosphere.

Most all modern ARPGs looks pretty much like that.

I agree with both points. Add in that Torchlight isn't completely random but rather has something akin to DCSS's vault system. So you can have puzzle that appears at random to keep thing interesting. Also add in that they aren't marketing it as a "major innovation to the RPG genre," merely a good game. It seems like it might be one of the few kinda good A-RPGs. I'll download it simply for the mods. I might be able to make something akin to a bullet hell shmup out of it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
roll-a-die said:
So you are telling me that if everyone says "Cloverfield" or Dan Brown are awesome. I'm supposed to nod along and not point out the shoddy factors of the author/movie in question.

Nope, and I wonder how you got this far from the very little — maybe too little — I said. I simply mean that the good or bad is immanent to the work and you can use some critical thinking to determine it; it also means that whether it is good or bad doesn't depend on us. Preference on the other hand is totally subjective and vary between individuals for many reasons.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Everyone is stuck on Fate for some reason. This team has at least 3 (that I confirmed) Diablo/Diablo 2 designers. To me 3-1 means more Diablo less Fate.

Then again, I know too much about the Codex to think that logic would work here.

Stabwound

Arcane
You can't tell me it doesn't look like Fate 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom