Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torchlight

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only thing that concerns me is the amount of play time although even that isn't a huge issue considering the mod-ability. The graphics look great, the music is great, the atmosphere is great and the starting price is $20. I can understand if people don't like ARPGs and I doubt the game is going to be very difficult but it is just meant to be a fun and semi-immersive experience.

Going to wait and play the demo first but I can't see myself not picking it up eventually. At the very least it'll be a nice tide over until Deathspank. And hell, if there is indeed a reasonable amount of play time then I applaud a developer for actually pricing a PC game reasonably rather than the industry standard $50 just because that's what games cost~

roll-a-die

Magister
Gragt said:
roll-a-die said:
So you are telling me that if everyone says "Cloverfield" or Dan Brown are awesome. I'm supposed to nod along and not point out the shoddy factors of the author/movie in question.

Nope, and I wonder how you got this far from the very little — maybe too little — I said. I simply mean that the good or bad is immanent to the work and you can use some critical thinking to determine it; it also means that whether it is good or bad doesn't depend on us. Preference on the other hand is totally subjective and vary between individuals for many reasons.

Ah OK I apologize for taking that the wrong way I have a habit of making assumptions about what someone means.

But, you fail to take into account that our preferences influence what we, ourselves perceive as good or bad. Moreover people will critique things in different ways within their minds again, based upon their preferences.

For example some people love NWN 1 and 2 and hate The Witcher simply because they prefer The Forgotten Realms style of fantasy more or like Bioware more or dislike the fact that The Witcher has sex cards. Does that mean The Witcher is a worse game? Not really but you have to decide for yourself using your own preferences as proverbial weights on the scale.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
My only concern with the original game (no so mcuh with the mods that are sure to follow), is the length and particuarly difficulty. All the gameplay videos I've seen so far make it look extremely easy. I sure hope there's hard and ironman modes.

Stabwound said:
You can't tell me it doesn't look like Fate 2.

It looks nothing like Fate 2.

Multi-headed Cow

AlaCarcuss said:
My only concern with the original game (no so mcuh with the mods that are sure to follow), is the length and particuarly difficulty. All the gameplay videos I've seen so far make it look extremely easy. I sure hope there's hard and ironman modes.

Stabwound said:

There's easy, normal, hard, and very hard. The difficulties aren't like normal/nightmare/hell for Diablo 2 since you don't replay the game with the same character, it's more akin to /players 8 in Diablo 2. Increasing enemy toughness and loot drop rates. Once you beat the game you can keep playing in an infinite dungeon for tougher baddies and bigger loot, you don't restart.

And it has hardcore mode, where death is permanent.

Multi-headed Cow

Don't know if these have been posted yet, but a couple reviews. Since they have "Runic" and "Torchlight" in the URLs, you know they are fair reviews.

http://www.torchlightinsider.com/?p=397
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/2009/1 ... ht-review/

Probably one of the coolest things mentioned in there:
I should take a moment to talk about pets. I didn’t realize it at first, but my pet is an example of a place where I unconsciously was altering my play style without really realizing it. I read on the forums recently about pets being able to summon minions on their own, so when the first spell I found was a skeleton summon I popped it on the dog and ventured further into the dungeon. At first the occasional skeleton was just a cute distraction for the enemies so that they couldn’t surround me as easily, but as I watched I noticed the skeleton wasn’t just mindlessly smacking things, it actually had some sort of fighting skills included in its AI! Once in a while it would give a powerful smack to a monster, and quite often was picking things off on its own.

Shortly after this I realized that I wanted to keep my little skeleton friend alive, so I bought a spell in town to heal everyone, and dropped that in my pet’s other skill slot. I noticed at this time that not only are there multiple levels of spells (Summon Sword I, Summon Sword II, Summon Sword III, etc), but the more you used a spell the more powerful it becomes! This really became apparent when I sent my pet back to town for an extended time and suddenly found my ass being handed to me. Apparently, the pet’s minions and healing capabilities were causing me to alter my playing style in a reckless manner, that I could only pull off when I wasn’t required to constantly pay attention to my health and when the monsters had distractions to keep them from ganging up on me. Alone, my adapted playing style was pretty dangerous. This is something I hadn’t experienced before in any ARPG. With regular minion masters or healer classes in games you pay a great deal of attention to the little things like hp and mp levels, and how your minions are doing. I had an immortal pet who I gave a summon and healing spell to on a whim, and suddenly my melee character was being supported without even realizing it!

Once I had this realization I went and bought the most expensive summon spell I could find for multiple minions: Skeleton archers (it was still pretty early on). I gave it to my dog to replace the single skeleton warrior. This brought another shock: the little skeleton archers that I once again figured would be a mere distraction were actually mowing down enemies for me! Where the skeleton warrior would distract enemies by rushing into them head on, the skeletons where picking off things that were around me – often things that were coming up behind me. Even better, as my dog became more adept at spell casting more skeletons began to appear and get stronger!

Multi-headed Cow

Eh, they have bits and pieces of information. Normally not that big a deal, but since Torchlight hasn't been whored out to previews as much as most games it's a bit useful.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they including the toolset with the game? I talked to some Runic guys at PAX, and they said they put the game together in ELEVEN MONTHS - all art and design stuff taken from scratch (and that they were basically able to do so because their toolset was so good). That's fucking insane, and I can tell you that truly - I don't doubt that they did take a lot of art direction and design choices from Mythic, but all the same, Storm of Zehir took 9 months - and that was an expansion, and already we were really hard-pressed to get shit done. I think that 11 months were earned in the proverbial blood-sweat-tears way, so if it's a quality product then my hat is off to those guys, and I'm picking this sucka up.

Multi-headed Cow

Annie Carlson said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they including the toolset with the game?
Yep. Though they're going to release it a week after the game apparently, as a separate download.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Stabwound said:
It doesn't look like Fate 2.

on a more serious note, seems more atmospheric than fate, almost like a diablo remake, which is a good thing. can't wait to get my hands on the editor. kinda sucks that there is no character appearance/gender selection.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Torchlight is going to be the first game I buy in a long time simply because it's $20. Where do you guys recommend is the best place to buy it?

I want to be able pay, download, and play quickly. I don't want to deal with activations, and third party software, and registration codes and other annoying stuff.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam is the only place that 'technically' won't have de jure DRM (obviously you are subject to the Steam platform itself). Anywhere else, including their own website, you have either SecuRom and/or activation limits -- although I believe the number is ten and more can be requested from the publisher via e-mail/website.

Multi-headed Cow

vazquez595654 said:
I don't want to deal with activations, and third party software, and registration codes and other annoying stuff.
You're most likely fucked then, depending on how Gamersgate handles it. All I know is that if you buy directly from the developers, it has 10 activations, and if you buy from Steam it just has Steam DRM and no activations supposedly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Multi-headed Cow said:
You're most likely fucked then, depending on how Gamersgate handles it. All I know is that if you buy directly from the developers, it has 10 activations, and if you buy from Steam it just has Steam DRM and no activations supposedly.
gamersgate uses what the publisher put in. if the normal version has activations, so will the gg one.
on the other hand, gg will reset your activations on demand, usually allows for transfer of games between accoutns, and you don't have to be logged in to play.

getter77

Augur
IIRC, last anybody over there said at least, the retail disc release come January isn't supposed to have any kinda DRM to it. That was awhile back though, so if it is really key to somebody they'd best ask the Runic folks again should anything have settled the other way.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
AlaCarcuss said:

Stabwound said:

There's easy, normal, hard, and very hard. The difficulties aren't like normal/nightmare/hell for Diablo 2 since you don't replay the game with the same character, it's more akin to /players 8 in Diablo 2. Increasing enemy toughness and loot drop rates. Once you beat the game you can keep playing in an infinite dungeon for tougher baddies and bigger loot, you don't restart.

And it has hardcore mode, where death is permanent.

Sweet - just pre-ordered :wink:

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Steam is the only place that 'technically' won't have de jure DRM (obviously you are subject to the Steam platform itself)

Wait, so if I download it through Steam, do I need Steam to play the game, or can I uninstall Steam and still run the game? I hate that program. When I had it, it was always on. God knows what type of info they are collecting from you when it's in your system tray.

Some versions of the game will only allow to install 10 times? But I am paying for the game. Torrents last forever. What kind of business model is that? I really want to pay for it, because I like the developers, but I guess then I will still have to get some sort of crack for it anyway? Blah. Online media distribution is broken.

roll-a-die

Magister
You can close steam after you are done playing a game that uses it. And you can set it to not start with the system. There really is no reason not to use steam.

Multi-headed Cow

After you download the game, you can also set Steam to run in offline mode so it isn't phoning home. It's not the same as running without Steam, but it's a little closer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom