Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Starwars

Arcane
Was there a single thing that made InXile suddenly blacklist the Codex? I didn't really follow what happened.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
3BfoD8r.jpg

Wonder who will get the reference. :M

Parabalus

Arcane
Really disheartened they mutilated the Numenera system. I actually never even heard of it before trying T:ToN, but it was quite unique and learning new stuff is always fun. Now it looks like it's basically different colored mana.

throwaway

Cipher
Quest Objectives listed in 3d grade English.
:negative:

The Crisis Objectives can be hidden by using the arrow button on the panel.
FUCK YOU:x

How is this self-gimping supposed to be an antidote for retarded design? Oblivion came out 10 years ago, reproducing this bullshit in this day and age is blatantly disingenuous.

Those Inexile fucks bailing codex during 2016 seems entirely premeditated.

If I wanted a console-style storyfag I'd have backed Shadowrun.

Fry

Arcane
Really disheartened they mutilated the Numenera system. I actually never even heard of it before trying T:ToN, but it was quite unique and learning new stuff is always fun. Now it looks like it's basically different colored mana.

Eh. The "cypher system" is mediocrity defined. It's designed for role playing, not good combat. Changing that is not the problem with this UI.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The fuck is it with that Jerry Bruckheimer billion dollar B-grade action epic music? That sounds really fucking bad and gives a completely foreign vibe to the game. I wouldn't buy it based on that trailer.

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't know if they removed everything from areas not included in the beta or if they actually removed the content, but it's not there anymore. :M

Another thing you could do is find out whether there are other areas not included in the beta whose text is still in the files.
Just checked. They removed folders from later areas, so there's no reason to worry yet. :M

I know this is awesome if you're a complete retard and need to be led by the nose through the thing, instead of liking it when you need to figure things out, but that's not what PS:T is about. There were strong indications of this mindset already earlier -- the extremely infodumpy start, the way there was a breadcrumb trail to Matkina that might as well have been signposted in neon, and so on. They toned it down in the second beta, which made me really optimistic that they actually got it, but now they've doubled down and written that mindset right into the core gameplay.

They doubled down on it only by changing the camera and adding pseudo cutscenes or there were actual changes to the content, like changes back to the first beta?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I know this is awesome if you're a complete retard and need to be led by the nose through the thing, instead of liking it when you need to figure things out, but that's not what PS:T is about. There were strong indications of this mindset already earlier -- the extremely infodumpy start, the way there was a breadcrumb trail to Matkina that might as well have been signposted in neon, and so on. They toned it down in the second beta, which made me really optimistic that they actually got it, but now they've doubled down and written that mindset right into the core gameplay.

They doubled down on it only by changing the camera and adding pseudo cutscenes or there were actual changes to the content, like changes back to the first beta?
The "how to beat this crisis" popups were something we had only seen in video form (I believe), and not actually played with. Since the original outcry over this feature what, 6 2 months ago? We haven't gotten a beta update. Now we have, and it's still there and staying.

So for beta -> beta progression, the dumbing down has increased. But it's not something we weren't aware of, we just weren't aware our dislike of the feature would be completely ignored.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The update announcing the Crisis Objectives panel was in October, two months ago.

Fairfax

Arcane
I have to agree with PJ, the camera shit is atrocious. And it's not an overreaction because it happens in pretty much every interaction.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
"The spiritual successor to a game about the nightmarish consequences of trying to separate a spirit from its original incarnation." :D

Starwars

Arcane
Those portraits are awful.

One of the biggest pet peeves for me in terms of how the game played in the last build was that everything felt so incredibly slow and plodding, in an annoying way. From the "stop and start" running animations (I can't tell you how much this annoys me) to how everytime you click a dialogue option, there is like a supershort little animation along with a sound as it moves on to the next dialogue node.
It's small stuff but it really changes the way the game feels to play and it really made me miss how PoE "felt" to play when you're just running around and exploring.

Anyways, a shame if the game really has moved down a path of making the game worse. I was pretty intrigued by the game's story stuff when I first played and am pretty sure I will enjoy that at least. But yeah... I hate it when games constantly take control of the camera and stuff like that. Too bad.

jaydee2k

Savant
MCA delivers AGAIN! Praise the incarnation of sweet Jesus :mca:
When his name is in the credits of a game theres no need to worry :dealwithit:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've seen furries on DeviantArt produce better art than those portraits. But inXile not having the best artists/visual designers (UI) should not be news to anyone.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
A setting billion years in the future was an idiotic idea. People should write what they know, not what they imagine would be the distant future. The setting should be something we can resonate with, not an amorphous failure of imagination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom