Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
By the way, has this been posted?

14963240_1476034165745436_8618595449356129348_n.jpg

:hmmm:

dt.jpg

TrumpDisgusting.png

DISGUSTING!

soulburner

Cipher
Seeing the final version of the interface I'm afraid I will dislike one thing: the fonts. Due to the amount of reading I think it should use a serif font which is easier on the eyes for longer periods of time. Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin have serif fonts and I believe TToN will have more text than those. I hope it will be easy to mod a Times New Roman kind of thing.

Sizzle

Arcane
JcUIItG.png

So that's MCA's character, who's supposed to have some sort of heroic glow whenever he's about to overcome impossible odds.

I get the intention of the artist, but even if you know what the character is supposed to be about, it still looks... off. The effect they're going for (the unearthly glow) isn't pronounced clearly enough.

But if you don't have any prior knowledge about him - he just looks like someone with fabulous hair that's reflected under direct sunlight.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the art style of most of these portraits isn't bad as such, but they look like they belong in a different game. PS:T's portraits weren't even that good, but they were more colorful and cartoony, in a slightly garish way, as T:ToN's previous portraits were.

Also wait a minute, is that Chris Keenan?

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
PST's portraits weren't that good because for some reason they went with 3D renders, same as with the bestiary entries. Reason might have been it was cheaper and they already had the models they used to render the sprites. And they at least used the opportunity to have animated portraits.

With these however, it's not just that they're bad, they don't even know what they want to do with so many different versions. It's like they make everyone who works there do portraits and now they got to the DeviantArt Photoshop Artist (TM).

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
i caved in and tried it

managed to leave the intro and get to ali and cali before getting sick

impressions so far: this is really extra shitty on all fronts for the time being

ArchAngel

Arcane
JcUIItG.png

So that's MCA's character, who's supposed to have some sort of heroic glow whenever he's about to overcome impossible odds.

I get the intention of the artist, but even if you know what the character is supposed to be about, it still looks... off. The effect they're going for (the unearthly glow) isn't pronounced clearly enough.

But if you don't have any prior knowledge about him - he just looks like someone with fabulous hair that's reflected under direct sunlight.
And then they failed by leaving dark facial hair. The end result just looks like some gay emo boy that colors his hair.

Sizzle

Arcane
JcUIItG.png

And then they failed by leaving dark facial hair. The end result just looks like some gay emo boy that colors his hair.

The facial hair would work if the hair was more contrasted. But as it stands now it's like you said - a guy with an aggressive dye job.

If anyone from inXile (apart from MRY) is reading/lurking here, please pass on to your art team - the portraits serve as a visual introduction to the character, they should be interesting and immediately tell us something about their personalities.

For example, Erritis here - what does the portrait say about him? At first glance, just that he's a pleasant looking, probably young person, with an out-of-place hair color. If the intent behind it is to highlight his unique ability - give it some pizzazz, make it stand out. Use a bolder shade, add some sparkles to indicate its strangeness - anything to draw attention to it.

Or Callistege:

eufxjVV.png

Is this supposed to be the portrait of a dimensionally displaced woman? What does this tell us - apart from her fashion preference for red, purple and large earrings?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
i caved in and tried it

impressions so far: this is really extra shitty on all fronts for the time being

Fuck that. I want a detailed review to generate buthurt and torment.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
i caved in and tried it

Just another edgy 'impression' from Roxor....

:salute:

Fuck that. I want a detailed review to generate buthurt and torment.

Don't think anyone really cares either way. 2012 is long gone for people to really be upset about KS games. I threw money down to show I wasn't some poser, got some games I enjoyed out of it, some more, some less than I hoped for. Was interesting experiment that I won't be doing again. In the end what really was discovered is that if the developer wants to make a game in the style of old, then they can do it without KS/FIG/IndieGogo etc. Appealing for funds in this way doesn't guarantee anything at all.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
i caved in and tried it

AOD releases a final content patch and you decide to play a beta of TTON instead. It shouldn't have taken the Ghost of Hanukkah Future to tell you how that would work out.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
i caved in and tried it

AOD releases a final content patch and you decide to play a beta of TTON instead. It shouldn't have taken the Ghost of Hanukkah Future to tell you how that would work out.

curiosity killed the rat
borealesad.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
i caved in and tried it

curiosity killed the rat
borealesad.jpg
And thus, at last, Roxor learned the true meaning of choice and consequence.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If anyone from inXile (apart from MRY) is reading/lurking here, please pass on to your art team - the portraits serve as a visual introduction to the character, they should be interesting and immediately tell us something about their personalities.
There is not even a scintilla of a possibility that the art team is unaware of that idea. As I've said before, I was blown away by how thoughtful and conscious they were about the intersection of art, narrative, gameplay, etc. You may not like what came out of it, but it's not because they are unaware of some basic axiom like that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There is not even a scintilla of a possibility that the art team is unaware of that idea. As I've said before, I was blown away by how thoughtful and conscious they were about the intersection of art, narrative, gameplay, etc. You may not like what came out of it, but it's not because they are unaware of some basic axiom like that.

Was this when Saunders was the producer? Perhaps it was considered unneeded and abandoned for more important issues, like the console development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom