Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grimlorn

Arcane
JcUIItG.png
The problem is the face looks too detailed and the hairstyle looks like it doesn't belong because it isn't detailed. It's just kind of thrown on there. I suspect this is because they took a picture of a real guy and tried to make it look like a portrait and ended up throwing a different hairstyle and clothing on him as they are blurry and undetailed compared to the face. They could have put a light glow around him sort of similar to what's around the bottom of his jacket rather than give him hair that's blurry and shiny. Really it's just a terrible piece of art. Really shouldn't even be in an art category that's how terrible it is.
Did anyone notice that her eyes are looking in two different directions? The left is looking over to the left and the right one is looking up. Disgusting. SJWs won't create beautiful looking women. That would lead to objectification and wrong think, so they'll just make them all look ugly or average with dye jobs to indicate they are progressive and strong womyn.

It's a shame no one is working in the industry that isn't a SJW and has talent that Fargo could have hired. I guess you get what you pay for though.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did anyone notice that her eyes are looking in two different directions? The left is looking over to the left and the right one is looking up.

There are a lot of conditions that would cause one's eyes to be misaligned, so I don't see why a RPG character can't have one.

Of course I'm a bit biased in this matter because my eyes are similar to hers (portrait's still ugly though). :M

Sizzle

Arcane
It's hard for me to debate this without biases/outside knowledge, but it seems like Matkina also conveys a desire to hide (from the hood) and a detachment from physical appearance despite having the potential to be attractive (from the haircut.

The haircut part is stretching it a bit (it's barely visible), but I get what you're saying.

I think the sense of vulnerability and sorrow, as opposed to "I'm a ridiculous bad ass assassin" adds more than if she had a dagger and a bunch of scars or something.

I would have preferred to see those devices she has in the concept art (she's supposed to rely on those numenera, right?) around her neck, it would make her seem more like she's a useful NPC, and less like she's a depressed refugee.

Also, heavily tinting the portrait blue to indicate she's sad and cold is a tad overkill - her facial expression already tells us this.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
This is no longer a game for PS:T fans.
It ceased to be a game for PS:T fans a long time ago. My current level of expectations for TToN: smarter-than-average console crap.

---

Looking at the new portraits I feel guilty. I posted several times in the portraits thread on the official forums about how bad the previous iterations were. Shouldn't have done that apparently...
:negative:

Last edited:

throwaway

Cipher
I feel like we might need some screenies of the offensively handholding UI elements (and journal) since much of the discussion seems to be image-driven.

Blue guy is actually decent after a second look. Matkina seems to be the only character interesting enough to inspire good concept art, hopefully not an important indication..

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just another edgy 'impression' from Roxor....

Just another dumbfuck reply from someone who hasn't even tried the game.

I played it dumbfuck...have the beta myself dipshit.

You are usually the arsehole that has none of the games, but has a shit opinion that no-one cares about, regarding every single one...

Feel those rads bitch.

:smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ah, right, and I'm sure you think it's a great spiritual successor to PST, exactly what inXile promised in their Kickstarter and not consolized in any way.

Prime Junta

I feel like we might need some screenies of the offensively handholding UI elements (and journal)

I snapped one of the journal (which is far from the most offensive element, it's just handholdy and looks console-y). Raged too much to snap screenies of the other offensive elements (that would come across in a screenie), i.e. the crisis objective box and the in-your-face "Quest Received" notification etc.

5sbz0oh.jpg

Much of the offensiveness can't be captured in a screenshot or even (very well) in a video because it's related to the way the game seizes control from you as you're playing. You're happily chugging along when suddenly the camera pans to something by itself and the game stops accepting your inputs.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Much of the offensiveness can't be captured in a screenshot or even (very well) in a video because it's related to the way the game seizes control from you as you're playing.

This.

The first example fight where you gotta kill those 3 shades being nom'd by ZE SORROW was like a rake combing my brain.

1. Camera keeps jerking all the fucking time from place to place to show IMPORTANT!!!! stuff, just in case you might miss that thing with the huge glowing frame landing right next to you.

2. Huge glowing frames around everything next to you.

3. NPC dude who ducks for cover and reacts with "ZOMG! [STUFF] IS HAPPENING!!!" each time [stuff] happens.

- Tentacles are piercing those shades and doing obvious draining animations. ZOMG! IT'S DRAINING THOSE DUDES!!! says the npc.

- An "infected" status pops up over one of the shades. ZOMG! IT'S INFECTING THEM WITH SOMETHING!!! says the npc.

- Each turn a shadow lands on the platform you are in and flies away into the void. ZOMG! IT'S CREATING SHADOWS THAT ARE FLYING OFF INTO UR MIND, YOU MUST STOP THIS!!!

- An "armour +10" buff pops up over one of the shades. ZOMG! YOU'LL NEED SOME BETTER DOMOGE TO HARM THIS ONE!!!

- Subsequently, a huge glowing frame flashes up around a glass shard right next to you. ZOMG! MAYBE THIS GLASS SHARD MIGHT DO IT!!!

Seriously, I just can't decide whether this is pathetic, hilarious or insulting. But all I can say is that this one scene right there effectively drops all pretence that this game might be directed at intelligent people (and I'm using the term "intelligent" very generously)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's a tutorial.

Yeah, OK, but:

A popamole faggot said:
Regarding the Crisis Objectives in general, those are intended to surface possibilities you might miss, but they do not reveal every possible option outright. You might notice the first couple of encounters are a little more directed, that's by design so people can smoothly learn the system. Later ones show fewer details since we can rely on players having more sense of how the game works.

So they rely on players having more sense, but they still feel like they need to direct their movements.

To me it sounds like the "hey, you can turn off the quest compass in Oblivion" thing all over again with the game designed to be played with all their hand-holding on.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I find it hard to believe that this sort of game introduction is really new to you.

What is really new to me is how braindead it is. Unlike many people here, I don't have a fundamental problem with the start of the game being a tutorial, but it's all the combined elements I've listed above that make it remarkably idiotic. I wouldn't even mind if there were those hueg visual cues, okay, let them be there. But the quintessence of idiocy and the sign that the developers are treating the player like a fucking cretin can be found in that one NPC who keeps describing everything that keeps happening. It's like a parent constantly having to explain what happens in a cartoon on TV to a little kid.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And imagine if you'd want to replay the game and have to get through that again. Because making it skippable is not possible, you wouldn't want someone to skip it and then not figure out how to play the game!

I have the feeling this will be even more hated than the Temple Of Trials (which was actually a good way to introduce game mechanics, only needed to be skippable).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah but it's p. dumb

PST is a quest about your lost identity, it wouldn't make sense for """"The Nameless One"""" to pick up a new name so it's justified

Same thing for the set appearance, TNO's appearance with the zombified looks, the scars and the tattoos are all part of his story. In this game you're just a regular ethnic dude with nothing going on so why can't you have different looks?

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Aside from the stupid hand-holding Roxor mentioned above, I'm liking the game writing and gameplay. Some companions are idiotic, but I find all this shit amusing, maybe because I donated $250 to this project and my mind subconsciously wants to recover the investment with entertaining.

In this game you're just a regular ethnic dude with nothing going on so why can't you have different looks?

Actually you have a lot going on right from the start. The portrait of the PC is thankfully white, which helps me connect with him (the 3D model is brown for some reason).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom