Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bonerbill

Augur
It would be nice if someone who has the alpha could a video.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Achievement unlocked: Died in the tutorial with just three dialogue clicks.

(I decided to give this a try since mindx2 said it's pretty short. Hard to say anything meaningful about it at this point except that the writing is certainly atmospheric in the right way, which bodes well for the game.)

Screenshot of my meaningless death (spoiler I guess):

13675.jpg

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Achievement unlocked: Died in the tutorial with just three dialogue clicks.

(I decided to give this a try since mindx2 said it's pretty short. Hard to say anything meaningful about it at this point except that the writing is certainly atmospheric in the right way, which bodes well for the game.)

Screenshot of my meaningless death (spoiler I guess):

13675.jpg

Triggered.
HYPE INTENSIFIES.
Writing level on that screenshot outrank most of games that I was playing that year.
By the way - what one live matters?
It seems that not much if you splat yourself on ground. :lol:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Screenshot of my meaningless death (spoiler I guess)
For a split second, I was offended by the use of a modern physics term in a fantasy game, but then I remembered: far future "science fantasy". Already this has me excited that the setting will have a major impact on the experience. (Up to now the previews and so forth have looked pretty much like a fantasy game.)

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone know if this is supposed to be (a part of) the character generation sequence? I keep getting these stat increases depending on the options I choose.

Spoilery screenshots:

13676.jpg

13677.jpg

13678.jpg

Fry

Arcane
- The writing is quite good. Maybe a little OTT with atmospheric descriptiveness, but I can't really complain about that.
- Character movement could be a lot smoother
- "Effort" interface feel very basic. It doesn't need to be more complicated, just (hate to say it) prettier in a touchy-feely way.
- I like the "placeholder" narrator. Great voice. He just needs to do a few more takes and fix his rushed pacing.

That's really about all there is.

Crooked Bee

Patron
It looks like this was indeed character creation. The final character's twin personality seems to reflects the choices I've made in a fairly accurate manner:

13679.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
The avatar that is meant to represent your personality is a thug shaking a knife?

:updatedmytxt:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know if this is supposed to be (a part of) the character generation sequence? I keep getting these stat increases depending on the options I choose.

Spoilery screenshots:

13676.jpg

13677.jpg

13678.jpg
That's an interesting take on the Q&A character generation routine. I wonder if (assume?) they'll let us skip this and directly generate our character though? It could get tiring for the Codex's 9th hate-filled playthrough.

Crooked Bee

Patron
The avatar that is meant to represent your personality is a thug shaking a knife?

:updatedmytxt:

*Both* of those doppelgangers are *you* (to use the kind of emphasis the game likes).

Thuggish and smart. I made an ideal RPG Codex character alright.

I only gained the descriptor Clever though, so I may be wrong.

Throughout the character creation I was choosing Might and Intellect-related options pretty much about equally.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
My interpretation was that it's like an inner struggle in which your intellect calms down the thuggish part of your own nature.

Caconym

Savant
^ I only gained the descriptor Clever though, so I may be wrong.
For shits ´n giggles, here's the Clever Descriptor's, um, description from the rulebook:
CLEVER

You’re quick-witted, thinking well on your feet. You understand people, so you can fool them but are rarely fooled. Because you easily see things for what they are, you get the lay of the land swiftly, size up threats and allies, and assess situations with accuracy. Perhaps you’re physically attractive, or maybe you use your wit to overcome any physical or mental imperfections.

You gain the following benefits:

Smart: +2 to your Intellect Pool.
Skill: You’re trained in all interactions involving lies or trickery.
Skill: You’re trained in defense rolls to resist mental effects.
Skill: You’re trained in all tasks involving, identifying or assessing danger, lies, quality, importance, function, or power.

Inability:
You were never good at studying or retaining trivial knowledge. The difficulty of any task involving lore, knowledge, or understanding is increased by one step.

Additional Equipment:
You see through the schemes of others and occasionally convince them to believe you—even when, perhaps, they should not. Thanks to your clever behavior, you have 10 extra shins.

Initial Link to the Starting Adventure:
From the following list of options, choose how you became involved in the first adventure.
1. You convinced one of the other PCs to tell you what he was doing.
2. From afar, you observed that something interesting was going on.
3. You talked your way into the situation because you thought it might earn some money.
4. You suspect that the other PCs won’t succeed without you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom