Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So can you unpack the data?

Fry

Arcane
Performance is ... better? But still not great. It makes my 970 work for that 60 fps. Some areas can't even hold steady 60 fps still at 1980x1200p. The intro stutters abit.

Yeah. I was impressed with improvements in the opening area, but the first fight was back to normal. Frame rate on my i7-4790k/GTX770 @1920x1200 is certainly playable, but not what you'd call smooth. And it puts a surprising amount of load on the system.

SniperHF

Arcane
We added a health pool, but note the stat pools are still there as resources to use on Difficult Tasks etc.

That's too bad, I'd have liked to at least tried the old method with a build where combat was more playable. It was hard to come to any conclusions one way or another on the old build about combat because it was really hard to play.

Drudkh

Learned
Performance is better, (only a bit for me) UI set up during combat is better, new portraits look excellent so far... (hopefully, now that the male player portrait looks generally more European, that will quell the complaints for that particular issue) About the limbo area of the introduction, where the tides are chosen... the area is overall much more cosmetically attractive, but it seems even more annoying to traverse and play thru somehow. Perhaps i played the last beta too much, so i'll just wait till the game is released to play again because i can't bear the intro anymore.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
25 gigs for this beta? What the hell man?
It's just a 6GB download. My guess are the 4k backgrounds, probably dirt cheap after compress to transfer over the wire, but uncompressed for faster loading. Storage is cheaper that CPU.

Starwars

Arcane
Just quickly went through the first bit (inside your mind) up until you waking up in the real world. It definitely moves a bit quicker now which is nice but there's still just something about it that is... not involving at all. I don't know if it's the fact that it's so obviously the "tutorial/character creation area" that does it or that it's just very linearly moving from point A to B to C. Or a combination of the two.

I had to quit right after the main character waking up but was that first big Choose your adventure bit moved to some other place then? It was the highlight of the beginning areas in the last beta.

The introduction to the two companion characters also doesn't serve to pull me in much. Again, they don't feel interesting enough initially.

With the last beta, I found the game really picked up after spending some time in Sagus Cliffs, after picking up some quests and stuff, it really got a lot better and interesting. But the beginning still fails to grip me at all.

Drudkh

Learned
Wtf happened to Aligern?! (lol) His in game player model still has kinda tan skin with dark hair but his portrait is so... not. His was probably my fav. portrait too.

Also, i thought the fight with the sorrow was broken but it's just that it had been totally cut down to nothing... I kinda liked it more before. Also, i hope the cool side stories with the magic worn snorting and what not have been placed elsewhere, the writing on those is really fun.

Another thing i noticed too, i wasn't able to choose the lesser options when rolling using the skill pools during the intro.

Hmm... Besides the performace and GUI (which looks superb now i think) i preffered things the way they were before the update. I feel like i'm playing the candy coated version rather than the old directors cut version. Either way, the game is still goddamn amazing, i feel kinda bad having a negative impression because i'm sure they worked hard on trying to improve the intro

Drudkh

Learned
TGA, sorry dude. I was just a naive kid assuming that something must have been wonky and not that they entirely dumbed down the games systems. (i was too pure for this dark world) Seriously though... As i spend tomorrow exploring the city i just hope that rolling during the conversations is still somewhat the same as it was; also, fuck all the casuals being confused, now i'm actually confused considering that the system worked just fine before after taking less than five minutes of reading to become familiar. Things seem more conveluted now.

Also: They changed Aligerns portrait for a metal gear solid character or something yet they still have that cheesy Lando portrait for bounty hunter mcgee... oy vey

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
You really need to drink less as well as post less. Might be a more healthy thing for you.

im not drunk on anything but my own fucking virtriolic rage.

This is literally a massive middle finger to everything this game was about. Brian Fargo is literally shitting in my asshole right now.

Fuck dude, calm down it's still in development they can change this.

It's entirely possible they made this change to see how people would react and act towards it, there's enough development time left to experiment with these types of things.

Prime Junta

Huh, I had no idea someone could be so attached to the Numenera mechanics.

The system is 100% focused on tabletop gameplay. It works for a certain type of PnP game because the rules are so light and so flexible they're barely even there, and there's enough stuff there to structure the social/narrative aspect of the session to let a good GM turn it into light-hearted fun. Thing is, none of the good parts or the system are even translatable to a computer game as they're all about how the GM and players interact.

The mechanics make zero sense on a computer; it's really light on arithmetic and rolls because rolling dice and doing arithmetic takes time and distracts from the story/social part of the game, but computers are arithmetic and rolls. I haven't played the beta yet, but if they're dumping/extending/rethinking the mechanics to make something better suited for a computer, that's a good thing in my book.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The mechanics make zero sense on a computer; it's really light on arithmetic and rolls because rolling dice and doing arithmetic takes time and distracts from the story/social part of the game, but computers are arithmetic and rolls. I haven't played the beta yet, but if they're dumping/extending/rethinking the mechanics to make something better suited for a computer, that's a good thing in my book.
Numenera systems are shit but at least it was different in how it treated damage. Now it's just an HP bar.

Prime Junta

Putting mayonnaise on a chocolate cake is also different. Doesn't mean I'd want to eat it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol Numenera grognards

Played the intro last night. It has more forward momentum now than what I saw in videos of the previous beta. The Spectre guy is now noticeably terse.

Prime Junta

Okay, started a playthrough with the new beta. Played through the intro and up to the point where I choose my Focus.

Now we're talkin'.

The massive infodump is gone, and instead I'm left with threads and questions. I know something horrible called 'The Sorrow' is after me. I know there's this thing called 'Tides' that's somehow very significant but I don't know how or why. I heard about 'The Changing God' and how he/she/it cheats death by jumping from body to body and making itself bodies.

That's enough, and that's just about exactly what I'm supposed to know at this point. There is a sense of mystery and disorientation, and it's much more Torment-y than the previous iteration.

I still think they should get rid or Otero -- or put him somewhere else -- as having that tour guide right at the gate is a bit too pat. But at this point it's a minor quibble.

Seriously, the changes to the intro make all the difference. ALL the difference! Great course correction there inXile, and I'm super-happy you listened to the feedback.

Other impressions? The UI now looks and feels like an actual UI rather than placeholder although Effort application feels a bit... slow; I'm thinking there ought to be a more fluid way to apply it. Not a big deal though. Overall look and feel is crisper and cleaner (although they still didn't fix the cobblestones :( ). I liked the excursion into the Fathom from the clock.

The mechanical changes? First impression is positive. Health bar makes sense, while using the Pools to fuel abilities.

So... yeah. This is shaping up very nicely indeed. Only downside is that now I'm a bit impatient to see this released -- before I fired this up I didn't care at all about it getting bumped to 2017. But now... finish it already damnit!

Prime Junta

Balance is out of whack. Effort trivialises everything anyway, and giving 2 as a base makes it worse. I'm a Learned Nano who Wields a Silver Tongue, and with that cypher that gives 1 extra Intellect Edge and the 1 point I put into extra Effort, I can now put 3 Effort in all Intellect tasks at no cost. Which means that I'm suddenly a master persuader, liar, loremaster, mechanic, and what have you: guaranteed success at everthing vaguely Intellect-related. Bleh.

Also, because the game has so many ways to approach things (which is awesome!) this strongly incentivises minmaxing. Put all your chips on Intellect and ignore any Might or Speed checks, and breeze throught everything. If they've put as many Might or Speed checks in there, the same would apply to that.

tl;dr great game but the system stinks

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Not sure why they removed the CYOA in the introduction.. that didn't really need to be removed as it jives well with how you start out the game.

Perhaps they bring it in a little later in the game. I just really liked it :/

Also, still not voiced companions in after waking up?

Prime Junta

The CYOA's were cool and I hope they did move them somewhere else rather than cutting them outright, but the "attuning to the tides" thing bogged down the intro and resulted in a too-big infodump. The game is much improved as it is.

Starwars

Arcane
Wow, I really hope they didn't cut them all together. That was like the best part of the beta I think and I loved how you got a different one based on your tide thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom