Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

marooned

Liturgist

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hmmm. It might be action point based real time, as in Fallout Tactics' "Continuous Turn-Based": https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...-combat-modes-continuous-and-individual-turn-

Although we probably won’t implement multiple combat systems (we’d prefer to focus on one system and do it well), both of these systems are good ideas.

They're Considering that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Arcanum and Fallout tactics shared a similar combat system didn't? Might be wrong, been a long time since i played Tactics. I actually enjoyed Arcanum's combat "ideal" but the execution (mainly balancing) was off.

marooned

Liturgist
Continuous TB was pretty Ok in FoT most of the time, but it's a system that still feel like a half-assed TB. Not sure yet what kind of combat they want to approach for a narrative heavy game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I know, it's just Grunker Grunking. Actually, the reason I didn't post it before is that I knew they were using Numenera, but I just thought "what the hell, I'll post this anyway... maybe it will influence a future project." I'm not actually expecting them to do it, and I realize I'm late to the party, but the fact of the matter is that what I say is true, and there's no harm in mentioning it.

And I doubt Monte Cook would let them use his setting with another system.

I doubt you're correct here though, considering that Cook is basically the "grandfather" of Pathfinder.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt you're correct here though, considering that Cook is basically the "grandfather" of Pathfinder.

Even so, he'd want the Numenera setting to be associated with the Numenera ruleset. I don't think Wizards of the Coast would let you make a Forgotten Realms game with the Magic the Gathering ruleset.

Of course, that's not to say they can't beef it up with Pathfinder-inspired rules, since they're modifying it already. In fact, since Monte is the one helping them do the modifying, that might be precisely what happens.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Even so, he'd want the Numenera setting to be associated with the Numenera ruleset. I don't think Wizards of the Coast would let you make a Forgotten Realms game with the Magic the Gathering ruleset.

Of course, that's not to say they can't beef it up with Pathfinder-inspired rules, since they're modifying it already. In fact, since Monte is the one helping them do the modifying, that might be precisely what happens.

Well, incidentally, as I said, my "real" reason for posting it is that I want to raise awareness for Pathfinder and the unused opportunity of building a Kickstarter game upon it. As you said, Grunker Grunking, essentially.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, incidentally, as I said, my "real" reason for posting it is that I want to raise awareness for Pathfinder and the unused opportunity of building a Kickstarter game upon it. As you said, Grunker Grunking, essentially.
Are you trying to copy BN's success and get hired by Paizo?

jewboy

Arbiter
Is this thread turning into one of those watcher threads? Before the T:ToN forum has even officially been made. I have a soft spot for such threads. Hopefully TwinkieGorilla will create one and then get drunk and delete it after 100 pages or so.

I've seen some excellent TB vs RTwP arguments here over the years. Too bad most of those old threads have been purged. We need to get someone over there who really knows how to beat the turn based drum long before the official vote post-KS. If only I had paid more attention to those threads.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Is this thread turning into one of those watcher threads? Before the T:ToN forum has even officially been made. I have a soft spot for such threads. Hopefully TwinkieGorilla will create one and then get drunk and delete it after 100 pages or so.

It's not clear that there will be a forum. Or rather, this is the forum.

I've seen some excellent TB vs RTwP arguments here over the years. Too bad most of those old threads have been purged. We need to get someone over there who really knows how to beat the turn based drum long before the official vote post-KS. If only I had paid more attention to those threads.

Threads are (almost) never purged on the Codex, certainly not RPG-related threads.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TB vs PB is an interesting discussion in which monocled gentlemen share their preferences and compare the merits of both systems and which one of their variants would be more suitable for a given game.

TB/PB vs RT is a Holy War against decline.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are you trying to copy BN's success and get hired by Paizo?

Ha! I doubt it would pay as well as the job I can hopefully look forward to after finishing my education next summer :P

Plus, it's like, not in Denmark man.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo/?ref=kicktraq

Why are you posting a project with no relation to the Pathfinder rules system whatsoever, except for a few name-similarities? I didn't mention anything about the setting, 'cause frankly Golarion is boring.

Too bad most of those old threads have been purged.

Huh?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
One of the pleasant surprises that allowed this to happen was that Bard’s Tale on Android was a success, allowing some leeway in terms of the budget leading up to the Kickstarter. Even so, this was a leap of faith for many involved; McComb hadn’t been taking a salary until the Kickstarter, he was in the project because he wanted to make the game.

Bard's Tale 2004 - an unlikely savior of hardcore PC RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Yes...but they do still need to narrow down their options to two or three systems.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I guess, plain real-time would be more hassle free than RTwP, if they entertain RT.

I'd have still preferred them to pick a system and run with it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I added three votes for turn-based. It has a wide lead on the social site.

I'm not actually opposed to phased-based combat per se; it's a truer representation of concurrent action than turn-based, without being as awkward and difficult to micromanage as RTwP, and offers a different style of tactical decision-making than turn-based. In my younger days, I even tried devising some made-from-scratch tabletop or card game rules that were essentially phase-based. Regardless, I just don't see it being my preference. Turn-based works extremely well if implemented correctly.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
FUUUUUU I'll add that to the existing newspost. I hate newspost spam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom