Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't hate anyone except maybe DraQ.

Free camera and well-done 3D are fine. But I think most of us just want more of the some, like PS:T was. I do think fixed angles/perspectives help to promote whatever atmosphere a game is trying to convey- and this is important to me in atmospherically dense games.

As an example, there is a really cool temple of Myrkul in MotB- but you can't really see how neat it looks unless you tilt your camera in a specific way. Having fixed perspectives at certain points eliminates this problem - as well demonstrated in the game's central conversation with big M.

Captain Shrek

Free camera and well-done 3D are fine. But I think most of us just want more of the some, like PS:T was. I do think fixed angles/perspectives help to promote whatever atmosphere a game is trying to convey- and this is important to me in atmospherically dense games.

As an example, there is a really cool temple of Myrkul in MotB- but you can't really see how neat it looks unless you tilt your camera in a specific way. Having fixed perspectives at certain points eliminates this problem - as well demonstrated in the game's central conversation with big M.
Nostalgia aside, free cam has little to do with not being able to visualize details. That is an artistic fault. In fact a free camera in principle should offer you more details as WELL AS the ability to pan out and see the entire picture.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"More details" is not always good.

Edit: If you want to make a world that looks like painting, 2d fixed camera is probably the best way to do it since paintings are 2d.

Raapys

Arcane
Eh, can't remember free camera ever being done right. At best it's "not extremely annoying".

Easier and better for both graphics and gameplay if they just optimize the game for a fixed camera angle if they do decide to go with a true 3D world.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Nostalgia aside, free cam has little to do with not being able to visualize details. That is an artistic fault. In fact a free camera in principle should offer you more details as WELL AS the ability to pan out and see the entire picture.

Come on Shrek, don't go all jewboy on us. You're smart enough to understand that the amount of work needed to make a scene look good from every camera angle would be way too expensive for the kind of budget this game is going to have. And it would probably still look worse than a prerendered background, because a fixed perspective and static lighting actually make it easier for the artist to implement a particular visual style.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo3m
@thomasbeekers: @ChrisAvellone Heh http://on.fb.me/ZRzsQI Gotta dig Brian's shirt there” Real life re-enactment of me and Chris...

599407_10200204481288479_1146592658_n.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
For those wondering, where we are totals wise (just KS totals) on the same day as Project Eternity:

PE - $2,342,022.00
Torment - $3,024,937.00

Source

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...ggestions/3784051-make-good-game-not-bad-game

Make good game, not bad game

I'm very worried. I had not realized the developers of this game needed to be told things like "make sure there are moments of humor," or "use a high level of detail," and "have compelling characters," yet these suggestions keep cropping up. This has made me anxious to think of what else they might forget to put in the game unless we, the backers, tell them.

For instance, when you move the mouse around, don't forget that there should be a *visible* pointer representing the cursor's position on the screen, or else players might click on the wrong thing by mistake!!

The part where you fight rats belongs at the beginning, when you're just starting out, not at the end, by which time you're supposed to have grown strong and wise enough that rats don't bother you so much. It could even be time to subvert the trope of fighting rats at level 1, but that would be a risky move.

When you save, the saved game should be written to the hard disk, not kept in memory for a more convenient time, or someone who closes the game could have to start over.

The player should be asked to perform certain actions in order to advance through the game, preferably in a certain order, where the results of prior actions and events inform what remains for the player's character to do, thus synthesizing causality. Games are no fun if they aren't interactive!

Also, when the game's characters randomly have sex with each other at inappropriate times for the titillation of your virginal target demo, don't forget to have some "tasteful" softcore music. And, this would be even better if you make a website that asks me my f@#^ing birthday every time I visit!

Torment (Dev Team, Torment Website) responded · Mar 26, 2013
Bad game bad. But. Good game good. Ungh.

:lol:

hiver

Hilarious.

From the transmission, - it seems the game will not have static character gen but you will choose your main attributes through playing that starting part, with the probable possibility that you can change your "focus" later on - depending on your Tide.

Tides will work more on the subconscious level for the NPCs. Most of them wont be aware of actual Tides or even the concept of them but it will affect their disposition.

The game will be set more in the beyond of the Beyond area of Numenera p&p setting.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but the pipboy existed since Fallout 1 and was described to be exactly the same way it was eventually portrayed in F3 and Jew Vegas.

FTR is speaking about the "vitruvian man" health display on the screen, which was added in FO3 I believe.

I'm talking about everything. It's an obvious reference to Fallout 3.
Also, the PipBoy never looked like that until F3. Being worn on the arm is "described to be exactly the same way" for dumbshit BONER, though.

Possibly. But what's irritating me more is that the screen is upside down.

Also, the t-shirt actually makes it look like Fargo is working for Metric Driven Games and showing you the finger.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
but the pipboy existed since Fallout 1 and was described to be exactly the same way it was eventually portrayed in F3 and Jew Vegas.
FTR is speaking about the "vitruvian man" health display on the screen, which was added in FO3 I believe.
I'm talking about everything. It's an obvious reference to Fallout 3.
Also, the PipBoy never looked like that until F3. Being worn on the arm is "described to be exactly the same way" for dumbshit BONER, though.

I'd speculate the sketcher sketched that based both on actual photos. Fargo on a photo from his outing to the Wasteland Weekend, MCA on photos of him showing off that PipBoy arm thing, which was given to him by I don't remember who. So...get mad at MCA, I guess?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:lol:

What the fuck am I paying you for?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom