Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lancehead

Liturgist
It would be stupid not to put it up as a stretch goal, from a funding standpoint. I also don't think people will (or should) compare P:E and TToN linearly.

Rake

Arcane
It would be stupid not to put it up as a stretch goal, from a funding standpoint. I also don't think people will (or should) compare P:E and TToN linearly.
If they put it us a strech goal, the 3D crown will remove their pledges in the hope it's not achieved. if 3D is the strech goal the 2D crowd will do the same.
If they just say the game will be 2D, the people who like 3D will be disapointed, but extremely few cases will drop their pledge.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep. You don't put something like that as a stretch goal. It's a core attribute of the game, not an add-on.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
When are you going to stop evaluating and actually present something?
We just presented it, we just haven't said yet at what point it exactly it will be. And "barely 3 million"? I mean...wait, I'm being trolled aren't I? Ok, carry on.

Well 3 million is chump change when you see the amount it got in a day! Were it not for the 'biggest first day EVAH!' it wouldn't be all that crash hot. For once I agree with VD and say that 5-7 mil were on the table at one stage.

hiver

I dont think there would actually be a lot of those who would remove their pledges. Its just barely a dozen people screaming about "vocal minority" and design by committee it in the comments - while they are professing that the only important thing for them is the "story".
Those are more or less clearly biodrones who expect that story to be told in biowarian way with cheap "romances" sex and other crap and who also cry at every signal they may not be able to see all of the content in one single playthrough.

- I guess you all know what i would say to that.

Lancehead

Liturgist
If they put it us a strech goal, the 3D crown will remove their pledges in the hope it's not achieved. if 3D is the strech goal the 2D crowd will do the same.
If they just say the game will be 2D, the people who like 3D will be disapointed, but extremely few cases will drop their pledge.
I really doubt there'd be a torrent of pledge reduction/removal because of such a stretch goal. I mean, that sounds to me like an extreme reaction, assuming of course the mock-up screenshot will be as good as the P:E one.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So what are the next set of stretchgoals going to be if not 2d? I know they mentioned the second city but apart from that?

Do you remember what PE's final 4 million dollars stretch goal was?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/329795?page=4

$4m Stretch Goal - Enhance the Whole Game

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game.

BRILLIANT! Why couldn't these amateurs at inXile think up something like that. :smug:
Had to tag me?

Anyway, since I sense a soul in search of answers, who gives a fuck what the last stretch goal posted in the last day was (i.e. when the momentum is high enough as it is and people are pledging simply because the train is leaving the station)?

hiver

Yeah. 6 days to go.

On monday it will be 4. But just wait. Who needs any info man...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Anyway, since I sense a soul in search of answers, who gives a fuck what the last stretch goal posted in the last day was (i.e. when the momentum is high enough as it is and people are pledging simply because the train is leaving the station)?

But it could always be even higher! There are hundreds of thousands of potential backers out there, aren't there? :eek:

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
$4m Stretch Goal - Do Stuff

YES! After a long, hard debate involving sleeplessness and bitter compromise, we've reached a decision. At this stretch goal, THINGS WILL BE DONE. That's right, our writers will do some writing, our programmers will program, and the artists will draw! Repeat: STUFF. Lots of stuff, done well and fastidiously. We really think you'll be amazed by this stuff and this doing of the stuff!

In summary, we hope you'll help us reach this exciting goal, so we can do stuff!

P.S. - MCA will do it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Surely there must be some custom XenForo script that can hide a registered user's posts from selected other users and guests.... :balance:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
$4m Stretch Goal - Do Stuff

YES! After a long, hard debate involving sleeplessness and bitter compromise, we've reached a decision. At this stretch goal, THINGS WILL BE DONE. That's right, our writers will do some writing, our programmers will program, and the artists will draw! Repeat: STUFF. Lots of stuff, done well and fastidiously. We really think you'll be amazed by this stuff and this doing of the stuff!

In summary, we hope you'll help us reach this exciting goal, so we can do stuff!

P.S. - MCA will do it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So accurate; kind of sad.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It ain't edgy man, that really was kind of how I am sure a lot here felt about that last PE "goal". Yolo, let's do more of everything! WOOHOO!
We want them to do more of everything, sure... but that's a given, and should be. Making it a goal is silly.

But then we get to the wider debate about how stretch goals are silly in the first place- this shouldn't be some kind of marketing contest. But it is because people like that sort of thing and if you want to get the most funding you have to work with the majority of people - individuals who might not pledge if the day 1 goal of the Kickstarter was some kind of staggering, but realistic sum.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Final stretch goals are kind of a bitch tho. I mean, if you're going to make it "something vital", something the team wants as much as the fans, like a second big city or MCA or Ziets or whatever, then you realistically run the risk of not hitting it and then hemming and hawwing about still implementing it. Sure, if you get close enough it's not a big deal but if you're quite a ways off then it might actually become a budgeting problem as well, and that means you teased something that people know you want but that can't be implemented without sacrificing other parts of the game.

I think WL2's final stretch goal was "MORE GAME" too. I'm not sure what else is there to say. I think at that point it might actually be best to just do without a stretch goal, and just see where it ends.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think the surprise final stretch goal for Star Citizen (playable Bengal Carrier) vacuumed up a shitload of additional pledges, I'd wager, but T:ToN just isn't the kind of game that can offer a comparable stretch goal, mechanically or thematically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom