Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

bussinrounds

Augur
Whatever happened with that vote on the combat ?

TB ?
Phase based ?
RtwP ?

The vote will be a few months after the KS has ended, I think. Backers only, of course.
Hmm, I know the game will have a great setting & 'story' elements, so I'm in for that aspect alone, but it's a little worrying that all the drones/story fags interested in this game will vote for RtwP. ESPECIALLY since we're already gonna have that for PE.

What's your guys feelings on how you think the vote is gonna go ?

It's hard to say. On the UserVoice forums, turn-based was the most popular option.

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3751827-turn-based-combat-
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...taneously-executed-turn-based-combat-also-kno
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum.../3754318-real-time-with-tactical-pause-combat
God. Gotta love these faggots...But.. but... TB will break my IMMERSHUN and take too long. I won't be able to get back into the story !! :retarded:

Gozma

Arcane
The 2D/3D hybrid thing actually seems like a good idea, at least until a technical guy steps in and says it would run like shit in Unity or something

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
God. Gotta love these faggots...But.. but... TB will break my IMMERSHUN and take too long. I won't be able to get back into the story !! :retarded:
Damn you for making me read the comments.

Avoiding combat means talking your way out of it via dialogue options, not running away until the AI gives up and stops chasing you, which is retarded.
Andhaira is that you?

hiver

Hiver, can you please stop spamming your retarded 2D/3D hybrid idea everywhere? I realize you like the feeling of being the developer's favorite fanboy and you want to get a pat on the head from Kevin Saunders, but you really need to snap out of it. Thanks.
Youre a one man walking self inflicting embarrassment.
Besides what i already told you.

Thats just incredibly cheap and really stupidly jealous.
And you achieve nothing with this but debase yourself even more.
You should have fucking learned that such comments dont really work with me and just blow up in your face.

i mean... really... me? A favorite fanboy? :lol:
thats so bizarre me and BrotherNoone could hug each other and laugh at you together.
Not to mention anything else...

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't actually care about that either as long as it ends up looking good.

If it's 2D/3D hybrid it won't look good.

No, seriously, I have never played a 2D/3D (graphics) game that looked good. I've seen it done and it always looks like shit to some degree. Too frequently it looks like paper dolls were slapped into a 3D game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

No, seriously, I have never played a 2D/3D (graphics) game that looked good. I've seen it done and it always looks like shit to some degree. Too frequently it looks like paper dolls were slapped into a 3D game.
I think he means some areas will be 2D and some will be 3D, not both at the same time.

Also, if we get 2D backgrounds it's going to be a "hybrid" regardless because they're going to use 3D characters not sprites.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
:love:

I love the Codex. We get some almost certainly fantastic news about 2D backgrounds—enter Hiver, and now, after a brief celebration, we're arguing more than ever, over a pure incline feature no less.

I'll be waiting until last day to pledge and i will pledge if they are close to 3.5.

Why not do the smart thing and pledge NOW, then reduce your pledge to $1 (or cancel it entirely, not sure if that's possible though) if they don't reach $3.5m?

And come the fuck on, they WILL reach $3.5m, it's ludicrous to even think they won't at this juncture.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The only 2D/3D hybrid style I know is 2D backgrounds + 3D characters, and that looks very gorgeous.

tuluse

Arcane
The only 2D/3D hybrid style I know is 2D backgrounds + 3D characters, and that looks very gorgeous.
DOOM_II_SP_02.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's... 3D backgrounds and 2D characters, tuluse. If you're making a clever/ironic joke, I'm not seeing it.

Also, Doom looks fucking amazing. I'd pledge for that.

DragoFireheart

That's... 3D backgrounds and 2D characters, tuluse. If you're making a clever/ironic joke, I'm not seeing it.

Also, Doom looks fucking amazing. I'd pledge for that.

Doom might be amazing for other reasons, but that 2d/3d graphical look is shit. The enemies look like fucking paper dolls.

tuluse

Arcane
JarlFrank said he only knew one kind of hybrid approach, I was pointing out a rather famous example of the opposite.

Edit there's other kinds of hybrids too. 2D sprites in 3D space so you get things like distance. DFA Broken Age is incorporating both 2D and 3D elements into single scenes, no dichotomy between background/foreground.

hiver

:love:

I love the Codex. We get some almost certainly fantastic news about 2D backgrounds—enter Hiver, and now, after a brief celebration, we're arguing more than ever, over a pure incline feature no less.
ahem... i am certainly not against the incline, and although naturally, this suggestion may be disliked by both sides, it still has advantages and does argue in favor of 2D background art.

DragoFireheart

JarlFrank said he only knew one kind of hybrid approach, I was pointing out a rather famous example of the opposite.

Edit there's other kinds of hybrids too. 2D sprites in 3D space so you get things like distance. DFA Broken Age is incorporating both 2D and 3D elements into single scenes, no dichotomy between background/foreground.

I won't hold my breath until I see it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The 2D/3D hybrid thing actually seems like a good idea, at least until a technical guy steps in and says it would run like shit in Unity or something
Well, I'm no expert, but I'd say it probably wouldn't work because a) presenting different area backgrounds in different styles would lead to an inconsistent gameworld unless those areas different for specific aesthetic reasons and b) it doesn't actually increase the efficiency of your production pipeline significantly compared to full 2D, because instead of having on uniform production pipeline you are working with two with different sets of requirements.

(this in reference to using 2D for some areas, 3D for others, since "2D/3D hybrid" could also be used to describe - say - Eternity, so it's a broad term)

hiver

The characters and many other such "details" will be 3D in the game. Thats not the issue at all.

This is only about "background" location or area art.

Brother None

If thats actually the case then it would be best to close my suggestion on "forums" with a bit of an explanation from the experts.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
ahem... i am certainly not against the incline, and although naturally, this suggestion may be disliked by both sides, it still has advantages and does argue in favor of 2D background art.

You have no idea what you're talking about (hur dur it has advangtages because I say so) and it's a moronic idea. There.

Now keep yapping about it.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
I know I'm being cynical here, and before I say anything more I have no doubt they'll make a good game, but I find their decision of letting people vote on game mechanics rather pathetic. How can you let people vote on what type of combat system, a crucial aspect(presumably) of the game, to be had? When a writer writes a damn book, he doesn't put up a poll on whether he should do this or that, he KNOWS what to do and has a clear VISION on what to do. At the same time, most people are not :obviously: enough, not qualified to have an opinion of value. Any person can a critique a cook but that doesn't mean they themselves can be better cooks nor does it mean they know how to cook in the first place. People know what's good for them and they want McDonalds. So if you cater to the masses, you end up cooking shitty food, in this case, making a shitty game. A good business decision nonetheless I'll give you that, but not the way to go if you are looking to make a truly one of a kind classic game. Granted, the backers are probably a lot more sane than your average Call of Duty fan, putting such a big design decision in their hands is still a gamble.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know I'm being cynical here, and before I say anything more I have no doubt they'll make a good game, but I find their decision of letting people vote on game mechanics rather pathetic. How can you let people vote on what type of combat system, a crucial aspect(presumably) of the game, to be had?

They don't think it's that crucial.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If I'm reading hiver correctly, his 2D/3D hybrid troll idea would be like some JRPGs in that some rooms/areas are static with a fixed camera angle (and can thus support painted details), while other rooms/areas allow you to use the camera and of course have no painted details as a result.

I don't think that would work for an IE-alike, not at all. It needs a unified presentation and world aesthetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom