Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
OK, what other tricks could you have. Except for 2D which I think many people already expect (and I'm not really convinced you'll do it)? Decision on combat is out. Hmm. Screenshot mockup? Zeb Cook?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
And the Torment campaign until now has been nothing short of perfect, let' see what Fargo has ready for the final rush.

That's true—it's been totally flawless thus far. Not a single "Wait a minute..." moment to be had.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh yeah, also how about a miniature (like W2 had) as an add-on maybe? Can't afford that fucking statue, but a miniature I would totally buy for 20x its manufacturing price.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Kevin might hate me for saying even this much, but I think what we have left in our bag of tricks includes both substantive and exciting things. I'm looking forward to this final week.
You all make Kevin sound like this lurking ogre, ready to club people who flap their gums :)
His style is more to send really polite emails. The politer he gets, the more you realize you really messed up :D

(Kevin's awesome)

:bro:

And I don't just say that because he's known to review the forums on occasions.

Really, though, Kevin's just such a nice guy that when you get a polite email from him you go, "Oh, man. I disappointed Kevin. :( I hope I didn't ruin his strategy."

It's much harder to rebel constructively against Kevin, because then you just feel like a jerk. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's smarter than all of us.

Kz3r0

Arcane
OK, what other tricks could you have. Except for 2D which I think many people already expect (and I'm not really convinced you'll do it)? Decision on combat is out. Hmm. Screenshot mockup? Zeb Cook?
I think that the whole 2D/3D issue should be avoided during the campaign, in fact I would be surprised if that would be a stretch goal, too much risk to upset people there, in a sense or the other.

What I think would be a good idea for the final rush is a new pitch video with MCA in it, the people pledging at the end of a campaign are a different pool from the ones at the beginning, in fact I think that the final week should be considered as a mini campaign of its own.
Really, I think that a new video with Colin and MCA together after the red boots segment will work mighty fine.

Diablo169

Arcane
Holy shit 2d graphics and an underwater city? I want this game now. Also please pimp the facebook likes in the upcoming news post.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I told you this would happen, I tolds y'all way back. It'd be dumb not to share tools, what with all the manly love going on between the two teams.

hiver

2D is not confirmed.

hold your panties.

So what exactly will a Torment environment look like in-game? For that, I’ll have to ask for your patience a little longer – stay tuned next week!
Kevin Saunders
Project Lead

Diablo169

Arcane
2D is not confirmed.

hold your panties.

So what exactly will a Torment environment look like in-game? For that, I’ll have to ask for your patience a little longer – stay tuned next week!
Kevin Saunders
Project Lead

They just agreed to share development tools with Obsidian. It's literally the most demanded stretch goal there is. I would be gobsmacked if it isn't revealed next week.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So is the 2nd Major City a $4 million stretch goal? I don't see that info in the update, or maybe I'm just not looking carefully enough.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
We’ve been carefully evaluating the costs and trade-offs, and it looks like a 2D pre-rendered graphics approach may be possible. Being able to achieve this quality bar is only an option because of your great support – we are thrilled at the possibility that Torment could be as strong in its aesthetics as it will be in its storytelling and choices and consequences.

I feel strongly that there's no way they'd even hint at "maybe" unless they mean "almost certainly"—no doubt reliant on the final total, which I'm confident will pass $4m. :yeah:

Updated my pledge*:

updated.png

*Subject to reduction if it doesn't actually happen.

hiver

They just agreed to share development tools with Obsidian. It's literally the most demanded stretch goal there is. I would be gobsmacked if it isn't revealed next week.

Sure, but it isnt "confirmed" - yet.

Would you mind if it was a hybrid approach?
For example, that only the most important locations have 2D background art while the rest just uses 3D?

Blaine

You crazy man.

hiver

So is the 2nd Major City a $4 million stretch goal? I don't see that info in the update, or maybe I'm just not looking carefully enough.
There is no 4 million stretch goal yet, on the main page. I would guess it will go up soon.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Blaine :bro:

It is going to be a stretch goal but we're basically still evaluating the price-tag. We'll announce where it comes in when new SGs go up.

Diablo169

Arcane

Sure, but it isnt "confirmed" - yet.

Would you mind if it was a hybrid approach?
For example, that only the most important locations have 2D background art while the rest just uses 3D?

Blaine

You crazy man.

I trust the developers to do what they feel is best, but I know what i'd prefer which is some wonderful 2d background art like Torments, Icewind Dale's or the Baldurs Gate series. I don't think 3d on this budget would be able to accomplish that level of detail and wonder. I'm open to compromise though, since the whole team are fucking bros.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just a question: they are still going to sell the game after they reach their goal, correct?

I want to wait and see how well W2 is done before kickstarting anymore games.

Kirtai

Augur
Brother None, I figured that 2D art causes early design lock-in of areas and art, similar to how voice acting locks in dialogue. Can you tell me if it's actually a big enough factor to make a difference? I'm thinking of that longer art pipeline here.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just a question: they are still going to sell the game after they reach their goal, correct?

I want to wait and see how well W2 is done before kickstarting anymore games.
Yip, there'll be a pre-order store just like Wasteland 2 has. It won't have some of the "backers-exclusive" goodies and some things might be in a slightly different form, but you'll still be able to get the game digital or physical.

Brother None, I figured that 2D art causes early design lock-in of areas and art, similar to how voice acting locks in dialogue. Can you tell me if it's actually a big enough factor to make a difference? I'm thinking of that longer art pipeline here.
It's not exactly that simple but "kind of, yeah". The longer art pipeline makes later changes hard to do and that influences the cost and flexibility of the art process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom