Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just a question: they are still going to sell the game after they reach their goal, correct?

I want to wait and see how well W2 is done before kickstarting anymore games.
Yip, there'll be a pre-order store just like Wasteland 2 has. It won't have some of the "backers-exclusive" goodies and some things might be in a slightly different form, but you'll still be able to get the game digital or physical.

I don't care about the gooides. Just want the game.

Thanks. I have too many games on back log (Skyrim, New Vegas, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls DLC) and I have Wasteland 2 coming up.

hiver

I trust the developers to do what they feel is best, but I know what i'd prefer which is some wonderful 2d background art like Torments, Icewind Dale's or the Baldurs Gate series. I don't think 3d on this budget would be able to accomplish that level of detail and wonder. I'm open to compromise though, since the whole team are fucking bros.

Well, not that im a graphical expert but my logic goes that some areas really dont need the 2D art.

Important places like the Bloom and this new city - sure.
But the rest?

Look at Original Sin art and visuals. Would anyone mind if general environment and less important places are 3D with all the benefits that brings?
Wouldnt it be better if for example we get to go into orbit and do a bit of zero G to have it in 3D?

And this kind of approach would seriously reduce the cost of 2D art. very important thing.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
2D or 3D I don't care, I'm no graphic whore. If it can bring in wealthy and generous individuals like Blaine I'm all for it though !

Edit : If I say you're awesome can I have the statue ?

hiver

Besides that i loved the video and this dude Nathan Long.

:lol:

Seems like a true bro haha.
best video so far!

Kirtai

Augur
It's not exactly that simple but "kind of, yeah". The longer art pipeline makes later changes hard to do and that influences the cost and flexibility of the art process.
I didn't think it was quite that simple but it's a handy way to explain why adding 2D art isn't just a case of "add some 2D artists". It makes every change, especially every late change far more costly.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Huh, considering to pledge now. But I need the moneyz badly this month... :( C&C

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine

You crazy man.
Not at all. If the game's wildly successful (or even just a cult favorite), sometime in the future I can probably sell the statuette, the signed print (now included with the $2k tier), the sealed and signed limited edition physical box, and the rest for at least $2,000.

Not that I would, mind you. The point is, it's an investment with intrinsic perceived value, not money that's just "lost" as far as my wallet is concerned.

2D or 3D I don't care, I'm no graphic whore. If it can bring in wealthy and generous individuals like Blaine I'm all for it though !

Edit : If I say you're awesome can I have the statue ?
As you can see above, I'm actually just a scheming :keepmyjewgold:

hiver

Blaine

You crazy man.
Not at all. If the game's wildly successful (or even just a cult favorite), sometime in the future I can probably sell the statuette, the signed print (now included with the $2k tier), the sealed and signed limited edition physical box, and the rest for at least $2,000.

Not that I would, mind you. The point is, it's an investment with intrinsic perceived value, not money that's just "lost" as far as my wallet is concerned.

I meant that as a compliment. It is used as a compliment where i come from, usually and most often (depending on inflection of course).

But out of curiosity... how would you feel about a hybrid solution - presuming it can be done at all ofc.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So what exactly will a Torment environment look like in-game? For that, I’ll have to ask for your patience a little longer – stay tuned next week!

What more confirmation is needed? Do you think they'll show a 2D screenshot and then go for 3D?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Blaine :bro:

So is the 2nd Major City a $4 million stretch goal? I don't see that info in the update, or maybe I'm just not looking carefully enough.
It is going to be a stretch goal but we're basically still evaluating the price-tag. We'll announce where it comes in when new SGs go up.

Well you have just a week left, and barely broken 3 mil. When are you going to stop evaluating and actually present something? Or will it be another 'mediocre writer joins the group!' series of goals? VD is right, this has really tapered off, and now we have Hiver fighting a lone rearguard against the Bethtards who want full 3D and are enraged that it won't be...could be a lean last week.

hiver

But out of curiosity... how would you feel about a hybrid solution - presuming it can be done at all ofc.

I hate the idea, but for the sake of argument... perhaps a hybrid pledge of $1,500. :martini:
Seems fair.

So what exactly will a Torment environment look like in-game? For that, I’ll have to ask for your patience a little longer – stay tuned next week!

What more confirmation is needed? Do you think they'll show a 2D screenshot and then go for 3D?
Could be a hybrid.

But maybe they are just waiting to test the waters. It seems some assholes are complaining because they think this means the whole game is going to be 2D.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But maybe they are just waiting to test the waters. It seems some assholes are complaining because they think this means the whole game is going to be 2D.

What's wrong with that? Do they think it'll be a flat-looking, top-down perspective with Colorform characters, or what?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
When are you going to stop evaluating and actually present something?
We just presented it, we just haven't said yet at what point it exactly it will be. And "barely 3 million"? I mean...wait, I'm being trolled aren't I? Ok, carry on.

hiver

What's wrong with that? Do they think it'll be a flat-looking, top-down perspective with Colorform characters, or what?
nah, they think it will look like a 10 years old game. like... whatever... they are from popamole plane, you know the drill.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hiver, can you please stop spamming your retarded 2D/3D hybrid idea everywhere? I realize you like the feeling of being the developer's favorite fanboy and you want to get a pat on the head from Kevin Saunders, but you really need to snap out of it. Thanks.

bussinrounds

Augur
Whatever happened with that vote on the combat ?

TB ?
Phase based ?
RtwP ?

The vote will be a few months after the KS has ended, I think. Backers only, of course.
Hmm, I know the game will have a great setting & 'story' elements, so I'm in for that aspect alone, but it's a little worrying that all the drones/story fags interested in this game will vote for RtwP. ESPECIALLY since we're already gonna have that for PE.

What's your guys feelings on how you think the vote is gonna go ?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever happened with that vote on the combat ?

TB ?
Phase based ?
RtwP ?

The vote will be a few months after the KS has ended, I think. Backers only, of course.
Hmm, I know the game will have a great setting & 'story' elements, so I'm in for that aspect alone, but it's a little worrying that all the drones/story fags interested in this game will vote for RtwP. ESPECIALLY since we're already gonna have that for PE.

What's your guys feelings on how you think the vote is gonna go ?

It's hard to say. On the UserVoice forums, turn-based was the most popular option.

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3751827-turn-based-combat-
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...taneously-executed-turn-based-combat-also-kno
https://torment.uservoice.com/forum.../3754318-real-time-with-tactical-pause-combat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom