Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Akarnir

Educated
Just a theory, But now people really got used to those ambitious kickstarter RPGs, So that may explain why the pledging speed is breaking any preceding record. People are more confident, more inclined to back as soon as possible.

That's just my thought on the unprecedented backing speed. Backers pledge earlier.
Now $$ will may stabilize quickly, and we might not see a huge $$$ flow at the end, like the previous ones.

Captain Shrek

Just a theory, But now people really got used to those ambitious kickstarter RPGs, So that may explain why the pledging speed is breaking any preceding record. People are more confident, more inclined to back as soon as possible.

That's just my thought on the unprecedented backing speed. Backers pledge earlier.
Probably also has to do with the fact that Fargo seems to deliver. After a long radio silence they suddenly unleashed a video of the gameplay that actually looked decent and with a lot of promise in terms of pure fun.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Now $$ will may stabilize quickly, and we might not see a huge $$$ flow at the end, like the previous ones.

I'm thinking the same yeah. A more flat Kickstarter curve compared to the spikes and higher drive was saw for WL2 and PE. That's ok though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Was just rereading the kickstarter page, are they equating Steam to not being DRM? I hope GOG is in their plans, also downloading directly from them would be even better, less money for the unworthy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Exactly. I think his handling of Wastelands updates are helping this as well. They have done a very good job of this (as well as the Shadowrun Returns guys too).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Best thing so far about this? Kickstarters like this one, Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 show that players really do want more mature rpg's games with lots of mechanics and depth. Do hope at least a few suits pay attention.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Was just rereading the kickstarter page, are they equating Steam to not being DRM? I hope GOG is in their plans, also downloading directly from them would be even better, less money for the unworthy.
You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Best thing so far about this? Kickstarters like this one, Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 show that players really do want more mature rpg's games with lots of mechanics and depth. Do hope at least a few suits pay attention.

To be honest I don't think they will... UNLESS they find that these AAA KS games turn some good profits when released. Just my guess.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

They have... Dragon Age 3 is the result. Joking aside, i think a lot of the people pledging wouldn't touch anything from EA or Ubi even if it was billed as the most hardcore crpg ever made, with thirst and hunger mechanics.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I really love the premise of Torment: Tides of Numenera with the player character, the themes like that and of PS:T are the themes I want to see in games, I really hope they can deliver what they promise.

Akarnir

Educated

They will pay more attention. The suits are stupid, They're very methodical. They try to follow formulas that are almost mathematically guaranteed success.

Now I suppose this will take this shape : a guy comes at them, and propose them to publish his old school RPG. And he uses all the kickstarter success as evidence of a large audience that's been mostly underexploited by the other corps. 4 Million isn't much, but it's 4 Millions ''Donation''. That's almost unprecedented in the whole industry, not just games.

Akarnir

Educated
I also have to say that this kickstarter seems superbly well handled. Everything is here from the start, and there's a lot.

I must say I also hope for more of a sci-fi fantasy, than pure fantasy, much more interesting that way IMO, and pure fantasy is mostly boring anyway (as it has been done dozens of times already).

Akarnir

Educated
I must say I also hope for more of a sci-fi fantasy, than pure fantasy, much more interesting that way IMO, and pure fantasy is mostly boring anyway (as it has been done dozens of times already).

Fantasy has potential. You just aren't really enough into folklore and history to understand how much unexploited potential there is. For example, all the unexploited Incas, Mayan, Aztecs... Mythos. Even the European ones have not been explored properly.

Overall, science fiction and fantasy are just plagued with bad, unimaginative writers. The geniuses are into other fields of literature.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
1362586989210.png

Apparently these are Ian Cheong's/Rex Exitium's "channel rules" (not sure for what), seen on 4chan:
1362587146584.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Theres a reason it goes so fast, you have several big names on it and monte cook = RPG , in capital letters, no arguing possible .You can also see a working gameplay demo of wastelands 2 below , wich means its not a vaporware game . WIll it beat project eternity ?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Activision owns it.

Can't be worth much to them, it has little value as a property unless translated into an crpg format, of course that doesn't invalidate something like the latest syndicate or that xcom shooter abomination, but i doubt they will do much if anything with it.

Out of that era of crpg´s, i think thats the last one still to receive the kickstarter revival treatment, any hope at all someone will do it? even if with a different name.

Can't be worth much to them, it has little value as a property unless translated into an crpg format, of course that doesn't invalidate something like the latest syndicate or that xcom shooter abomination, but i doubt they will do much if anything with it.

Out of that era of crpg´s, i think thats the last one still to receive the kickstarter revival treatment, any hope at all someone will do it? even if with a different name.

Be patient padawan, inXile needs some kickstarter love in the future too, can't take all our money now... :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom