Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Same. Since the Kickstarter thing started most of the games I've bought have been on GoG, and Adventure games (Primordia, Deponia). I think Mark of the Ninja is the only one I've bought on Steam.

almondblight

Arcane
I was doodling a sci-fi RPG once, as my own little project. Small-scope retro RPG with callbacks to the Golden Age of sci fi writing, space adventures, set in an orbiting nuclear missile satellite. Never got very far though
Weren't you going to work with ITS on that? I remember VD mentioning something similar a few years back.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At this rate, they will reach and probably surpass their goal tonight. 10 million by the end of the kickstarter... maybe more? We should organize a codex betting pool for this.

almondblight

Arcane
It's trending at 7 mil. But that's just because it just started.

It'll keep going up until the cutoff for a day, since that's how Kicktraq tracks things (and it rolls over days for all projects on the same time - so some projects have an hour in their first day, some have 24 hours). So it'll peak at a massive level (really hard to say since we don't know the cutoff, but could easily be $27 million or more), then drop of as the initial rush subsides.

And we'll have people saying that Fargo blew it for "only" raising $3-4 million. :troll:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There´s a chance that these types of AAA kickstarter projects will end up cannibalizing a lot of the crowd funding monetary goodwill and hurting the chances of smaller projects succeeding, there is only so much money to go around.

It will go down to a question of timing, imagine PE coming after this Torment kickstarter, i doubt they would have raised as much.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some of them have gone down to the wire tho. It would be nice if companies like Inxile could continue to fund itself for years to come using this, but that implies kickstarter remaining a healthy system to fund projects. Depends on the first big project to fail their target funding, if ever.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Some of them have gone down to the wire tho. It would be nice if companies like Inxile could continue to fund itself for years to come using this, but that implies kickstarter remaining a healthy system to fund projects. Depends on the first big project to fail their target funding, if ever.

ofc KS has the potential to become terrain for "scams", but i think that the owners are quite vigilant about that. i can't see an immediate future where KS stops being "healthy" really.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There´s a chance that these types of AAA kickstarter projects will end up cannibalizing a lot of the crowd funding monetary goodwill and hurting the chances of smaller projects succeeding, there is only so much money to go around.
Except that it's been shown the big projects increase the amount of money smaller projects get (there are a number of theories, increased eyes on kickstarter, increased faith in the system, etc).

While it's true there is some finite amount of money people would be willing to spend on video games, kickstarter is no where near the point where the projects are eating into each other's slices of pies.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I guess the only kickstarter fatigue there was, were users being fatigued while waiting for something decent to back.

The 95$ boxes are all finished, I knew they would be gone within a day. Managed grabbing one. Looking forward to stretch goals etc.

Is Anthony Davis also excited ?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Except that it's been shown the big projects increase the amount of money smaller projects get (there are a number of theories, increased eyes on kickstarter, increased faith in the system, etc).

While it's true there is some finite amount of money people would be willing to spend on video games, kickstarter is no where near the point where the projects are eating into each other's slices of pies.

As Brother None pointed out, i think that kickstarter is evolving into a more mature system where presentations can´t just be slapped up and posted online for a money grab. The names involved and the information made available are becoming the defining factors, more so than the nostalgia for long forgotten genres that fueled the first successful projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom