Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kirtai

Augur
It's, actually, science fiction. The trick is that the technology involved is so advanced and so ancient that many of the setting's inhabitants can't distinguish it from magic anymore.

Wow, that sounds even more interesting, can't wait to explore that world! :incline:
It's sufficiently advanced technology, in the sense of Clarke's Third Law.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
We will get on some stretch goals ASAP.. after we are done running around and waving our arms in excitement.
Fargo's twitter feed has put a smile on my face today. He has a kind of earnestness that is rare in *any* industry these days, it's kind of refreshing.

Oh well, I'm off for a while, hope to see it leaving $1m in the dust by the time I get back.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, as VotS is supporting this Kickstarter with all of his shriveled black heart, the position of chief naysayer seem to be open. Who will try to fill in his shoes?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo
We will get on some stretch goals ASAP.. after we are done running around and waving our arms in excitement.
Fargo's twitter feed has put a smile on my face today. He has a kind of earnestness that is rare in *any* industry these days, it's kind of refreshing.

Oh well, I'm off for a while, hope to see it leaving $1m in the dust by the time I get back.
I think this is what comes from selling something you believe in directly to people.

Akarnir

Educated
I must say I also hope for more of a sci-fi fantasy, than pure fantasy, much more interesting that way IMO, and pure fantasy is mostly boring anyway (as it has been done dozens of times already).
Numenera is Sci fi as I understand. Can someone with actual experience shed more light?
It's science fantasy.
It's, actually, science fiction. The trick is that the technology involved is so advanced and so ancient that many of the setting's inhabitants can't distinguish it from magic anymore.

More like, everything is so unrealistic and baseless that it becomes fantasy. Apparently there exist multiple plane of existence, one can shift his consciousness in different bodies, we haven't even clearly defined what consciousness means (one of the biggest meta physical debate), the singularity is possible (in fact some did the opposite), giant floating crystals is possible, there exist transcendent extra planar beings...
''Every thing is brain farted out of tin air, so why not just call it fantasy'' is basically the reasoning.

And that comes from someone who just backed, because that doesn't mean it won't be entertaining.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Backed. Originally backed for $110, then I changed to $250 because I noticed the core-book and the player's guide. Alpha and Beta access sounds pretty swell too.

This is the last time I back this much. I said that before, but I'm standing by it now.

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
Eh, think I'm going for a low pledge on this. I want to see the result from their first Kickstarter before jumping all in, and the cheapest of the interesting physical rewards is filled up already anyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
More like, everything is so unrealistic and baseless that it becomes fantasy. Apparently there exist multiple plane of existence, one can shift his consciousness in different bodies, we haven't even clearly defined what consciousness means (one of the biggest meta physical debate), the singularity is possible (in fact some did the opposite), giant floating crystals is possible, there exist transcendent extra planar beings...
''Every thing is brain farted out of tin air, so why not just call it fantasy'' is basically the reasoning.

And that comes from someone who just backed, because that doesn't mean it won't be entertaining.

That description applies to almost all science fiction in modern times.
Science Fiction really doesn't mean anything. Science fiction, for me, is a man on hoverbike flying around and zapping things.

Akarnir

Educated

Science Fiction really doesn't mean anything. Science fiction, for me, is a man on hoverbike flying around and zapping things.

That's why I always said that the nomenclature was a bit incomplete. The low/mid/high fantasy distinction is good, but science fiction can mean a lot of different things, some very opposite.

Gozma

Arcane
That kid that plays the Publisher Suit in the inexile videos has really ridiculously good comic timing, that was a huge stroke of luck for them. Nobody tell an 8 year old his bits in a pitch video were probably ultimately worth several hundred thousand dollars

Snerf

Learned
That kid that plays the Publisher Suit in the inexile videos has really ridiculously good comic timing, that was a huge stroke of luck for them. Nobody tell an 8 year old his bits in a pitch video were probably ultimately worth several hundred thousand dollars

Yeah, I seem to remember Fargo mentioning after WL2 their fortune finding this kid. He recognizes how well it works and it's not just convenience/familiarity that made him revisit the concept for this pitch video.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

That's why I always said that the nomenclature was a bit incomplete. The low/mid/high fantasy distinction is good, but science fiction can mean a lot of different things, some very opposite.
Would you cut it out with all the bullshit? Science fiction is quite clearly defined ( https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/science_fiction ):
science fiction (uncountable)
  1. Fiction in which advanced technology and/or scienceis a key element.
    Some people consider motion pictures such as the Star Wars movies more as fantasies than science fiction.
  2. Technologythat, while theoretically possible, is not yet practical.
    Despite decades of research, mass-market personal aircraft are still science fiction.
The fact that you, along with some others, conflate science fiction with true science fantasy like Star Wars and other assorted types of space operas is irrelevant. I'm not in the mood to take apart item by item, VD style, all the things that you listed as proof of Numenera not being science fiction, but if you insist, I will.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Fuck, my Aspie-sense keeps tingling whenever Akarnir posts...

Also, GODDAMN this game is getting funded FAST! :kfc:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The whole projecting yourself into the other cast-offs sounds interesting. Reminds me of that part near the end of Planescape: Torment, with the three previous incarnations.

Well, they've certainly spoken and led me to believe they know the essence of Planescape: Torment, it will be something to see if they can deliver. This is still a very, very bold Kickstarter.

EDIT: Can't wait to see people scream decline when Real-time with Pause is announced.

Akarnir

Educated

Would you cut it out with all the bullshit? Science fiction is quite clearly defined ( https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/science_fiction ):
science fiction (uncountable)
  1. Fiction in which advanced technology and/or scienceis a key element.
    Some people consider motion pictures such as the Star Wars movies more as fantasies than science fiction.
  2. Technologythat, while theoretically possible, is not yet practical.
    Despite decades of research, mass-market personal aircraft are still science fiction.
The fact that you, along with some others, conflate science fiction with true science fantasy like Star Wars and other assorted types of space operas is irrelevant. I'm not in the mood to take apart item by item, VD style, all the things that you listed as proof of Numenera not being science fiction, but if you insist, I will.

You imply that Advanced technology/and or science is not a key element in star wars?
And before you talk about the force being fantasy, consider the ''plane of pure consciousness and light'', the extra planar aliens, the consciousness shift... those aren't closer to science than the force is.

This setting is just fantasy, but in a place where technology hanging around is more advanced than today. Some here need to get over it, fantasy is not a bad word. Of course one can't feel as Edgy when liking fantasy...

Azarkon

Arcane
Best thing so far about this? Kickstarters like this one, Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 show that players really do want more mature rpg's games with lots of mechanics and depth. Do hope at least a few suits pay attention.

The amount of $ required to get the suits to pay attention is several times larger... Unless you're talking about a mobile / social game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: That's awful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom