Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Liz. T. 6 minutes ago
If Obsidian and inXile would cooperate to make the greatest rpg ever, called "eternal torment", this would be awesome. I would a game like that with at least 1000 $. So please do it and take my money, all of it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't like Tony Evans one bit.
Stretch goal to remove him, please.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Phase-based would be massive :incline: So of course masses of backers would never choose it - democracy needs to be removed from any kind of game design...

Koschey

Arcane
Perhaps a certain amount of Doritos could convince Bro None to make a simple decimal error, counting Codex votes as ten votes each? :smug:

catfood

AGAIN
Tides actually remind me of Magic the Gathering colors.
Yeah, the artwork is certainly reminiscent of some MTG sets, Mirroin especially.

mirrodin_mountain_by_mark_tedin.jpg

mirrodin_forest_by_mark_tedin.jpg

Snerf

Learned
Perhaps a certain amount of Doritos could convince Bro None to make a simple decimal error, counting Codex votes as ten votes each? :smug:

A little dorito dust, perhaps a few crumbs, happen to fall carelessly into the keyboard under the zero key mingling casually with unseen drops of mountain dew. Maybe the key gets stuck down just briefly. Maybe it occurs while adding codex votes.

No one looks twice, no one asks any questions.

Snerf

Learned
BrianFargo
9:04am via Web

More details later but we have a super fan who is going to match 10 cents for every dollar pledged between 2 mil and 3 mil. WOW!

It's Herve. He's seen the ghost of christmas-yet-to-come and wants to purge the ichor from his soul!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tides actually remind me of Magic the Gathering colors.

The pentagram-model is a pretty cool and known model in game-design. It's basically a way to manage conflict, but obviously has uses in moral dynamics as well. It's great that they're using it, it simplifies game design with plenty of room for complex discussion still.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah they should just pick a combat system and just go with it. I understand this being in early production (as in later they would know what type of combat system works well for the game) but...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not a CRPG though. I don't know if there's ever been an isometric CRPG with PB. Anybody?

Akarnir

Educated
Phase based makes much more sense than turn based, in my opinion, from a realistic point of view. Player A doesn't wait for enemy B to move before he does anything, and the other players don't stay in a suspended state before their turn comes.

How does phase based actual work? Any good crpg's implemented it successfully?

It means everybody decide their action at the beginning of the round, Then the round play with all combatant simultaneously acting.

I can give an example if you want.

Captain Shrek

How does phase based actual work? Any good crpg's implemented it successfully?
Implemented, yes. Successfully is a matter of opinion. The JA:BIA is kind of phase based. So is Wizardry 8, partly (toggled).

It is not very different from turn based in that characters act on an initiative sequence. But they do not act on their turn. The actions are decided in a "preparation" phase. Following that there is an action phase.

This can lead to terrible gameplay since you cast an energy missile the opponent simply has already moved away in this action and thus you are casting where he isn't.

Also, PB can be tearribly boring when the number of opponents in large and WORSE than TB. But still that is a non issue in Torment 2 from what they describe the combat situations.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This can lead to terrible gameplay since you cast an energy missile the opponent simply has already moved away in this action and thus you are casting where he isn't.

I think you would probably aim the energy missile at a character, not at a location. Unless you're aiming at the ground for an area effect spell. It's not different from RTwP in that respect.

Akarnir

Educated
Actually, one could say phase based is like RTwP but with sequenced intervals.... well if sequenced intervals actually means what I want it to mean.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Origin's Knights of Legend used phase-based system I think, or at least something similar.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well, isometric phase-based is rare or I can't remember it... But Wizardry and Wasteland are cRPGs and use it, and it would be a massive incline to have that back in some form.

Also AD&D, but not everyone agrees with me that rolling for initiative must happen after deciding on your action for the turn (otherwise losing initiative can actually be a good thing because you have more information to act upon and can be certain enemies who already acted can't react to your actions blah blah...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom