Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Statik

Educated
Jesus christ on bacon, this was at ~700 000$ when I last checked it before going to sleep yesterday. It's great to see incline being so successful.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, it's enough to make you worry that despite all the potential, Kickstarter simply cannot save us from humanity.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a big fan of the original Mass Effect, I would also lend my voice to the chorus of players seeking strong female protagonist options, being able to play the character as I want to rather than as a game script forces me to play her. I also hope strongly that both male and female characters will have a voice in the game. It is common to have the main character be 'silent' on screen, but I much prefer Mass Effect's vocal protagonist. I feel much more inspired to care about a character with a strong voice in the narrative. I also hope strongly that we will be able to design the look of our characters as well. Being able to play the game multiple times is much easier if I can make the main character's appearance different to represent the different approaches I'm choosing with each playthrough. And I assure you, if you're making our choices through the game be meaningful, I *will* be playing through multiple saves... and I will want to play these alternate versions concurrently (so please, have good character/save management!). I look forward to a great game! :)

indiana-jones-face-melt-o.gif

Zeriel

Arcane
... I ...

Mass Effect let you play a character as you wanted to, not as a game script let you? How do--I don't--is this--is this real life?

I think a Codex Vigilance Thread is in order to fight and scare off the morons, like we did for W2... Seems like this will be even worse. I just hope enough of intelligent crpg fans will jump in the Numenera forums and fight "the good fight" there. I certainly will vote down every popamole option (and I hope they won't even suggest options like that).

:rage:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think a Codex Vigilance Thread is in order to fight and scare off the morons, like we did for W2... Seems like this will be even worse. I just hope enough of intelligent crpg fans will jump in the Numenera forums and fight "the good fight" there. I certainly will vote down every popamole option (and I hope they won't even suggest options like that).

There won't be any Numenera forums. inXile learn their lesson. :smug:

EDIT: Unless you mean the voting site.

There won't be any Numenera forums. :smug: inXile learn their lesson. :smug:

You mean only the backers will be able to go on the forums?

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

There won't be any Numenera forums. :smug: inXile learn their lesson. :smug:

They have already been infiltrated.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think we can safely assume the :obviously: folks at InXile will just ignore requests like "I want Torment to be more like Mass Effect"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

I mean there won't be a forum like Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity have. Only the ideas voting site that we already have right now.

And even parts of that may be closed to non-backers, yes.

Lancehead

Liturgist
As a big fan of the original Mass Effect, I would also lend my voice to the chorus of players seeking strong female protagonist options, being able to play the character as I want to rather than as a game script forces me to play her. I also hope strongly that both male and female characters will have a voice in the game. It is common to have the main character be 'silent' on screen, but I much prefer Mass Effect's vocal protagonist. I feel much more inspired to care about a character with a strong voice in the narrative. I also hope strongly that we will be able to design the look of our characters as well. Being able to play the game multiple times is much easier if I can make the main character's appearance different to represent the different approaches I'm choosing with each playthrough. And I assure you, if you're making our choices through the game be meaningful, I *will* be playing through multiple saves... and I will want to play these alternate versions concurrently (so please, have good character/save management!). I look forward to a great game! :)

indiana-jones-face-melt-o.gif

Evidence that Kickstarter popularity is spreading beyond the "starved old school cRPG fans". Let's just hope these are the minority of backers.

I mean there won't be a forum like Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity have. Only the ideas voting site that we already have.

Well then, Codex vigilance will be a good thing surely, so Codexers can see when something less prestigious is voted, and turn the tides to :incline:. There are a lot of us, I dare say, even more than morons that will vote for popamole. For example when the voting for TB vs. rtwp starts. :smug: Or maybe it will be more effective to put such important stuff into newspost. ;) I'm very happy with how W2 turned out, after a lot of horrible suggestions and/or trolling, I was very afraid, but then I realized that inXile's heart is in the right place and I needn't worry. And I also saw a lot of smart people elaborately crushed popamole, even if it's trolling, with nice explanations why :incline: is a better option...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I mean there won't be a forum like Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity have. Only the ideas voting site that we already have right now.

Never set foot on those forums, are they that bad?

Depends who you're asking. They're not all bad, but the signal to noise ratio, especially during the Kickstarter campaigns, was awful.

Zeriel

Arcane

I like Felicia Day and with that being said please please please DON'T have her as the lead female VA. Video game and Anime in the US use the same people over and over just to say person X is in it. Please just find someone whos voice fits the role and don't let the voice of an existing VA define the role.

Concept art is beautiful. One thing: I know that this is a broken former avatar of a god, but I would still really like her to have hair.

All games should include Miss Day. I loved her in GW2.

4304121_o.gif

grotsnik

Arcane
I think a Codex Vigilance Thread is in order to fight and scare off the morons, like we did for W2... Seems like this will be even worse. I just hope enough of intelligent crpg fans will jump in the Numenera forums and fight "the good fight" there.

Honestly, there's just no point. It's very clear now that people are going to turn up in every vaguely RPG-related Kickstarter crying out about how their unsolicited idea should be the developers' top priority, whether that idea is some weirdly specific nonsense about full voice-acting (and they want Nolan North/Felicia Day to be the actor!), or a romance with an innocent girl-next-door type like her out of Firefly, or a new NPC I came up with in a tabletop session who resembles me only he's a mysterious ninja with a dark past, or actually the project needs to have a compelling villain exactly like Saren in Mass Effect because he really made my FemShep hate him even though she understood his reasoning, maybe he could be voiced by Saren's actor?

There's no stopping them. There's no debating the issue with them. They're backers too; isn't the entire point of Kickstarter that the developers are supposed to listen to them? In fact, now that you've rudely criticised their brilliant designs, they'd better start an Official Voice-Acting/Romance/Ninja/Saren Appreciation Thread just to prove to the developers how much support there is for their idea. They need to make their opinions heard above all of this meanness and negativity! And so the bladderful of reeking piss bloats and swells and consumes everything.

Just take a deep breath and don't fucking engage, I say.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I think a Codex Vigilance Thread is in order to fight and scare off the morons, like we did for W2... Seems like this will be even worse. I just hope enough of intelligent crpg fans will jump in the Numenera forums and fight "the good fight" there.

Honestly, there's just no point. It's very clear now that people are going to turn up in every vaguely RPG-related Kickstarter crying out about how their unsolicited idea should be the developers' top priority, and that idea is some weirdly specific nonsense about full voice-acting (and they want Nolan North/Felicia Day to be the actor!), or a romance with an innocent girl-next-door type like her out of Firefly, or a new NPC I came up with in a tabletop session who resembles me only he's a mysterious ninja with a dark past, or actually the project needs to have a compelling villain exactly like Saren in Mass Effect because he really made my FemShep hate him even though she understood his reasoning, maybe he could be voiced by Saren's actor?

There's no stopping them. There's no debating the issue with them. They're backers too; isn't the entire point of Kickstarter that the developers are supposed to listen to them? In fact, now that you've rudely criticised their brilliant designs, they'd better start an Official Voice-Acting/Romance/Ninja/Saren Appreciation Thread just to prove to the developers how much support there is for their idea. They need to make their opinions heard above all of this meanness and negativity! And so the bladderful of reeking piss bloats and swells and consumes everything.

Just take a deep breath and don't fucking engage, I say.

You just described every rpg developer forum I ever set foot in. :salute:

I still think there should be newspost or something like that, so that, when the time comes, Codexers can do the "right thing" and vote for :incline:. There are a lot of guys that aren't as active here, but still lurk from time to time. I would hate to miss the opportunity for a "perfect" game because some mass of people decided to vote for 3D instead of 2D for example...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I still think there should be newspost or something like that, so that, when the time comes, Codexers can do the "right thing" and vote for :incline:. There are a lot of guys that aren't as active here, but still lurk from time to time. I would hate to miss the opportunity for a "perfect" game because some mass of people decided to vote for 3D instead of 2D for example...

I like the idea of a Kickstarter suggestion awereness thread on the crpg forum, kept up to date with all the major issues being discussed/voted on Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun and Torment. Go to it! :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom