Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Akarnir

Educated
soon 1 200 000. When will this madness reach an end?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Uh MANY games have made funding even without nostalgia.
Just wait and see, remember Nathan Grayson's take?

what does Kickstarter become for companies in your position, then? Is it just some kind of nostalgia farm? The biggest successes have definitely hinged on nostalgia, but I think for a while a lot of people looked at it and said, “Maybe this is a truly viable alternative form of funding that could get more innovation into the industry.” Now it’s shifted back towards, “Well, it’s difficult to get real innovation going now unless your budget is $20,000 dollars.”

Multi-headed Cow

So guys. How about that Kickstarter fatigue?
my schadenfreude is really itching for a Chris Taylor meltdown when he hears of this...

I'm so ugly inside...
I do feel kinda bad for him since he seems like a nice guy, but my eyes glazed over every time he described the game.

Also glad they've got a Wasteland 2 and Torment double pack kickstarter option. Just talked a buddy who missed the Wasteland 2 kickstarter into picking that up.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
do you understand what this means? WE ARE NOT ALONE! We are not a lonely island.of angry cunts surrounded by an ocean of popamole and oblivion, THERE'S OTHER PEOPLE LIKE US OUT THERE!

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The way I see it, successful kickstarters aren't especially about nostalgia but more about providing something the pop-a-mole market dosen't.
Wanna make a real crpg? Sure, here's your money
Wanna make a space sim ? Great!
Some kind of hack & slash? Here comes the kickstarter fatigue.

Gozma

Arcane
do you understand what this means? WE ARE NOT ALONE! We are not a lonely island.of angry cunts surrounded by an ocean of popamole and oblivion, THERE'S OTHER PEOPLE LIKE US OUT THERE!

Impossible, nothing can survive outside the vault

Also I'm hoping nostalgia is just a proxy for previous work on these first generation kickstarters. Ideally, you eventually get an ecosystem where guys that come off AAA development decide to go to Kickstarter to make their opus, and successful garage indies that need to make a midbudget game to actualize an idea do too. And at the same time "career midbudget" outfits like Inexile can keep making games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Pro-Tip hoverdog, highlight the twitter quote then click on the little eraser button at the top left to get rid of the color formatting.

hiver

Its about nineteen minutes past midnight in about London now. Hey, I think this could be called, almost officially, :smug: an European Tide. How did ya guys @Inxile like it!?
haha

over to you yanks. (i think eastern seabord was already on it, really but :troll: ) - .. And then the far east will be coming up.

Akarnir

Educated
I don't know why, but I'm under the strange impression that the biggest amount will come from Europe, and more specifically from the UK.

Stabwound

Arcane
It must be nice to be Brian Fargo right now. Imagine going from being the CEO of Interplay and putting out countless great games over the years, only to be ousted and have to start your own company. The years go by, with you putting out a few awful PC/console action RPGs and a bunch of iPhone games just to make ends meet. Every day you hate waking up and looking in the mirror, wondering how your life got to this point. Going to interviews, summoning fake enthusiasm about pitching "Hunted: The Demon's Forge" to the neckbeard video games "journalist" while rampant thoughts of suicide swim through your head.

And today he gets a 1.5 million dollars thrown at him from fans to make exactly the kind of game he wants. Reading his reactions and interviews and the way he looks in recent videos you can tell how re-energized he is. Fargo is a bro and I'm really happy for him, to be honest. :salute:

Azarkon

Arcane
What is amazing is the amount of support Fargo has gotten before he's delivered on his last kickstarter. The faith is inspiring, but at the same time, worrying.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It is, but that kind of goodwill is easy to burn. If Wasteland 2 sucks, he's done, and he knows that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom