Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, high culture is not necessarily superior to 'lower culture'; it is just more popular. With the critical praise T:TON of shit is generating, it is the high culture of this day and age, IMO.

They are; just because you and I don't like them doesn't mean they aren't.
First you claim, in your opinion, High culture is supposed to be more popular than lower culture. And then you cite a niche product as an example of high culture. Which one is it, the niche product or the more popular one?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's underwhelming as a PS:T sequel after 18 years, but still serviceable.

My beef with it is not being able to go for 10 minutes without some "epic ancient device" spraying memories at me. Incomprehensible tech/magic oughta be conserved.

Oh, and: WHY IS THE FUCKING CAMERA LAGGING WHEN STARTING TO SCROLL FOR FUCK'S SAKE. PS:T had it right. Every old 2D isometric RPG had it right. They added this artificial delay and acceleration.

> First you claim, in your opinion, High culture is supposed to be more popular than lower culture.

I don't know who said that but it's fucking absurd. Pulp and exploitation movies were always more popular than "high art".

Iznaliu

Arbiter
High culture is supposed to be more popular than lower culture

No, it is supposed to be more critically acclaimed, idiot.

EDIT: I wrote "more popular" in my last post. I meant more critically acclaimed. That is all that needs to be said. So much for churning posts out every 10 seconds

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So this game pissed everyone off and sold like shit? Sounds like the genuine Torment article. Can't wait for it to become a cult classic in 5-10 years.

No, dude. It pissed the target audience. The people who are supposed to enjoy these kind of games.

Based on what I've heard, seen and played (I'm pretty much at end of Sagus Cliffs) it feels very much like KOTOR 2, there's a very good game there somewhere but suffers greatly from the cuts.

KOTOR2 had more combat, better items, more C&C, etc.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Based on what I've heard, seen and played (I'm pretty much at end of Sagus Cliffs) it feels very much like KOTOR 2, there's a very good game there somewhere but suffers greatly from the cuts. Someone in inXile forums said that Spectre was apparently gonna be one of the cut companions...that would've been very interesting, looks like they cut out the most interesting companions. The guy also claims that it looks like Oom had been cut out relatively late in development, which wouldn't surprise me if there are stuff left in the gamefiles.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In Numenera there are no stats, only mana pools, and all characters have the same types of mana, only in slightly different levels. Characters with more mana can perform more tasks without resting, but they aren't really better than any other character. Everyone is just as strong, smart, and fast as everyone else, as long as you have full mana and put some effort into it. This is pretty absurd in the face of it; either you can bench 200lbs or you can't, no amount of effort is going to let a spaghetti-armed nerd do otherwise. It's like the Care Bears RPG; the end result of the Self-Esteem generation. Baby's First RPG.

:bravo:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here is an observation: The game is constructed like a museum, everything is splayed like an exhibit and you are on a tour. It feels very artificial, like you aren't truly part of the world, but an outside observer who needs guides and things explained at them. Just like a museum, an interactive museum, but one nonetheless. This is why the inquisitive tone of the protagonist bothers me so much.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
What I want to understand is why most quests are unimaginative. Of course, there is lack of talent, but is not just that. I think that they can’t be too creative because the lead designer won’t allow level designers to implement their ideas. So you hire a bunch of people because you need their creativity, but at the same time you won’t allow them to implement none of it, just walls of text. That’s the crux of the matter. It's not surprising that Avellone feel so frustrated at Obsidian. They didn't allow him to create a mental dungeon over a bunch of bland and forgetable quests.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I want to understand is why they make most quests unimaginative. Of course, there is lack of talent, but is not just that. I think is the belief that you can’t be too creative because the lead designer won’t let level designers implement your ideas. So you hire a bunch of people because you need their creativity, but at the same time you won’t allow them to implement none of it, just walls of text. That’s the crux of the matter.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there user reviews bitching about the lack of a quest compass? If Ineptile wanted to make this a slamdunk, complex quests would not have helped.

Lambach

Arcane
What I want to understand is why they make most quests unimaginative. Of course, there is lack of talent, but is not just that.

I don't think the lack of talent is the main issue, although there's that too. Seems to me, as evidenced by the cut content shenanigans and 6 gorillion release delays, that the biggest problem was dismal management pretty much from day 1. Seeing as how InXile are a bunch of SJWs and hipsters, they probably operate by the "everyone is important, everyone should have a voice!" mentality and were in dire need of a brutal CEO-type of person to slap the shit out of everyone, get them to focus and cut out the unnecessary stuff that bogs the game down as well as assign more work to the actual talent in the company instead of the novice writers they've hired.

Right now, the game feels like the classic "too many cooks spoil the soup" syndrome, which is something that would've easily been done away by a proper manager.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there user reviews bitching about the lack of a quest compass? If Ineptile wanted to make this a slamdunk, complex quests would not have helped.

I’m talking about what would improve the game, and the reception among the few who care about these games. It serves them right for trying to please these people at the expense of their target audience. The popamoles are impossible to please.

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
What I want to understand is why they make most quests unimaginative. Of course, there is lack of talent, but is not just that.

I don't think the lack of talent is the main issue, although there's that too. Seems to me, as evidenced by the cut content shenanigans and 6 gorillion release delays, that the biggest problem was dismal management pretty much from day 1. Seeing as how InXile are a bunch of SJWs and hipsters, they probably operate by the "everyone is important, everyone should have a voice!" mentality and were in dire need of a brutal CEO-type of person to slap the shit out of everyone, get them to focus and cut out the unnecessary stuff that bogs the game down as well as assign more work to the actual talent in the company instead of the novice writers they've hired.

Right now, the game feels like the classic "too many cooks spoil the soup" syndrome, which is something that would've easily been done away by a proper manager.

Uhm, that's exactly what they did. Kevin Saunders was fired/left in September 2015 and they brought on Chris Keenan as a "project closer".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

I’m talking what would improve the game, and the reception among the few who care about these games. The popamoles are impossible to please, and it serves them right for trying to please these people at the expense of their target audience.
It is a waste trying to please popamole plebs, yeah. Now someone tell InXile that.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

I don’t buy it. PoE was much better managed and suffers from the same lack of imagination. Besides, Fargo sounds like an egocentric dictatorial dude. It wouldn’t surprise me if the decision to cut content came from him to rush things.

Right now, the game feels like the classic "too many cooks spoil the soup" syndrome.

It’s the classic "too many cooks, but few ingredients” syndrome.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you even try to please popamole plebs with a game like this though? It's like the Dwarf Fortress guy trying to please them. It just doesn't make sense, they don't play these kinds of games.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It is a waste trying to please popamole plebs, yeah. Now someone tell InXile that.

Fuck inXile!

Why would you even try to please popamole plebs with a game like this though? It's like the Dwarf Fortress guy trying to please them. It just doesn't make sense, they don't play these kinds of games.

Because they thought that marketing and game journals alone would do the job. I like to believe I'm pretty skeptical guy, but I also thought like that.

Last edited:

pippin

why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them

tumblr_static_steven-wilson-porcupine-tree-no-man-blackfield.jpg

What's up with Wilson pic? Is it his quote or smt?

it actually sounds very similar to something he said once about his own songwriting. it was easier for him to write sad songs and etc.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You guys are so judgemental as to not even be able to enjoy it as an average game still above, say, POE. After Wasteland 2 I was worried it was Inxile that was making the title. The bad stuff isn't grating enough to disgust. There's some good stuff here-and-there. The prestigious Kodex can't look past petty overhype. Let's see...

- Fallout 2 was shit compared to Fallout one, a rushed cash-in with too many pop-culture references
- Arcanum had shit combat
- Fallout 1 had braindead combat only salvageable due to death animations
- Underrail had shit writing

That kinda shit is the Konsensus? Apparently the knee-jerk judgementality bars from enjoying games.

You can't be the tenth of the pathetic whiners in person as you are here. Cry-fest and mediocrity.

It's told that on the internet it's easy to make reality-ignoring echo chambers, while human contact is normative. Try judgemental whining in-character to fucking everyone. Don't let anything to complain about go unaddressed. See how it's perceived.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Numenera there are no stats, only mana pools, and all characters have the same types of mana, only in slightly different levels. Characters with more mana can perform more tasks without resting, but they aren't really better than any other character. Everyone is just as strong, smart, and fast as everyone else, as long as you have full mana and put some effort into it. This is pretty absurd in the face of it; either you can bench 200lbs or you can't, no amount of effort is going to let a spaghetti-armed nerd do otherwise. It's like the Care Bears RPG; the end result of the Self-Esteem generation. Baby's First RPG.

:bravo:

I've mostly complained about the writing so far, but yeah the stat system seems really dumb.

I can kind of get how it would work in pen and paper, as you would have a DM to counter people doing retarded shit, but I really hate the whole spend points to pass any check thing. One of my favourite things about Fallout 1/2 and PST was replaying with completely different stats and seeing the different options that appeared.

Sad thing is, I see lots of reviews praising their use of this system. It's almost like they hate replayability and meaningful character development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom