Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

A horse of course

The skaven are the best because of the experience of constant, unfaltering rage. A skaven knows about three emotions, I reckon : fear, rage and the utter, complete and boundless joy of bringing an enemy low. You just run on these as much as possible. What is amazing with skavos is that when you click on one of their towns you get a torrent of yells and raging rats just rushing at you : "yeeeeaaarrrghhhh!!!". When I play I constantly click on the towns to hear this sound and I reproduce it myself in front of my computer : "yeeeeeeeaaarrrrghhhHH!" - complete with the diminutive, high-pitched skaven tone. It's just a step from there to reproduce the lines in your daily life ; for example when it starts getting hot you say something like "arrrghhh! Queek hates heat! Tail sweat in heat!... but dwarf-gouger works in heat!!". Just live to pillage and bomb men to the stone age, man - no other good life for you, yes-yes

Reddit

Fucking Vampire Tide is ridiculous atm.
CA really does a shit job balancing things.
Before this it was the Order Tide steamrolling everything.

Ok, turns out Gelt is much easier as Franz, as you can focus on the Vamps much earlier and stop the rot.

It's still annoying how the AI cheats on harder difficulties with the upkeep and such.

For comparison as Franz at turn ~50 Sylvania had 27 provinces and at least 6 full stacks marching at Altdorf

This campaign that I just started as Gelt, we've wiped out Sylvania at turn 41.

Nathir

Liturgist
I just recently started playing this. My last TW game I played was Shogun2 when it came out, and I quickly dropped it because my computer at the time couldn't really run it properly. And I've never had anything to do with Warhammer. Still, the game looked interesting and I gave it a try. And I must say I love this shit. From the beginning where you choose your lord, there are already so many cool characters and visuals. It's something you don't really see in games anymore, as it's all kind of cartoony looking and just generally tame these days, with a few exceptions. Anyway, the tomb kings looked the coolest to me so I picked Khatep and went for normal/normal.

I had no idea about provinces and went into another direction with Khatep immediately, getting full control of my province like 15 turns in. Then I kept battling against Dark elves until turn 80 or so. Vs Hellebron, Malekith and a bunch of lower clans. By this time Morathi was almost wiped out by other factions, but I got hold of her province by eliminating Alith Anar. Then I moved to Hexoatl and wiped them out. I look at my campaign goals and see I need to bring Khatep to the desert, which is basically on the other side of the map. Ok, no biggie, time for a sea trip. I come all the way from Lustria to see that Frenchmen basically hold the entire coast. And Couronne basically confederated everything. So I have to declare war to them in order to establish a presence here. Only problem is that they are allied with dwarfs and empire, who both also confederated a bunch of factions themselves. Dwarfs are low on the strenght counter tho, and are getting destroyed by Grimgor, and the Empire guys seem to be fond staying in their bases. Karl Franz was lvl 18, when Khatep was 40. Louen for instance was around 30. So while I conquer the desert with Khatep + 1 other army, I bring the rest in from the north and Invade Couronne. While they battle against Empire/Couruonne Khatep gets to do whatever he wants in the south and long victory is mine after around 170 turns. I kept playing for like 20 turns more, just to make peace with Empire/Couronne and feel like the campaign is finally won. Loved it. It was a really fun experience and it feels like I still have so many factions, lords and units to try out. The battles are also a joy to watch and play.

Not gonna lie, I savescummed a lot on this campaign, especially at the start because I had no idea yet how the game works. I mean, you have to control a full province or your public order deteriorates? I had no idea, and at the start I went up into dark elf territory, and didn't see the plain of dogs settlement below. Only for rebels to appear, who for some reason can get tier 3/4 units if left unchecked for a couple of turns. While I could only have Nehekharan warriors and basic skeletons. Auto resolve seems wonky as hell too. Khatep vs Malekith. Auto resolve always lost. And his Black guard of Naggarond were racking up 300+ kills per stack. Then I notice Khatep only gets like 6 kills with auto resolve. Just dropping Skullstorm + sandstorm on infantry easily got me 300 kills. Does AR not take into account magic or what? Black guards only got around 100 kills when I manually fought.

The good races also all started confederating at some point in the game, while I couldn't figure how to confederate with other tomb kings. Luckily the elves didn't declare war on me when I went on Couronne. There also seems to be a bias against the player. For example a new faction called Vashnaars conquest just spawns with a full stack with a black dragon, next to my capital and starts raiding. Karl Franz and all his lords go after my Tomb kings who invaded Couronne, when they are getting attacked by Vampires from the east. And the AI lords seem to respawn and get a good stack in like 4 turns. Also when the chaos ships spawn, all 4 of them went into my territory. Luckily I was allied with the Skaven from Clan Rictus since the start and they took care of them, so I didn't have to do even more reloads. Oh and it is really dumb how raiding is not considered as a declaration of war.

Anyway, all in all just a cool and fun game. I can't remember the last time I had such a great time with a modern game. Now, who to play next? Arkhan the black is cool, and so are all the vampires but I don't want Tomb kings or undead again. Maybe Skarsnik or Mazdamundi? So many to choose from. Also, this is the coolest shit ever:

39a0d80d86e17b8fa67404c257712247.jpg

most of those issues are solved by mods. but yes, vanilla has more issues than the people still larping in the "that which sleeps" thread.

v1rus

Arcane

TK cant confederate ( :

Still, sounds like a very fun first campaign. I wouldnt have gone with Khatep if I were you, but you got the hang of it pretty quick, so gj!

Now go play some lizards! Bastilidons with huge crystals > constructs!

Nathir

Liturgist

TK cant confederate ( :

How so?

Still, sounds like a very fun first campaign. I wouldnt have gone with Khatep if I were you, but you got the hang of it pretty quick, so gj!

Now go play some lizards! Bastilidons with huge crystals > constructs!

Decided on Skarsnik for my next campaign, he looked fun. The start is quite hard though. I'm around 15 turns in and I'm getting constantly attacked by Dwarfs. They are beelining into my starting territory one army after another.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Skarsnik is (was?) considered the hardest start in the game. You have access to mostly shitty units and all your neighbours want you dead.

Mass nasty skulkers is the key to beating dwarves. Sieges stills suck hard though, you kind of have to lure the army outside the walls to defeat it.

If you want to handicap the ordertide in the balls, taking out Karl Franz immediately will do it. Just run to Altdorf with a full stack while Karl is busy off somewhere else.

Nathir

Liturgist
Mass nasty skulkers is the key to beating dwarves. Sieges stills suck hard though, you kind of have to lure the army outside the walls to defeat it.

If you want to handicap the ordertide in the balls, taking out Karl Franz immediately will do it. Just run to Altdorf with a full stack while Karl is busy off somewhere else.

Yeah, I found that out way too late. I actually had to restart this campaign after turn 26 or so. I defeated Belegar when he came into my turf at around turn 15. Then I went to attack his territory with two armies. But I couldn't capture his capital because I had mainly night goblin archers/spearman/fanatics lel. And then Belegar came from nowhere with a full stack and i just restarted after getting destroyed. Second time i just went mass skulkers and they did way better vs dwarfs. Now I'm at turn 110 or something like that. I went into grimgors territory with Skarsnik and towards eight peaks. The rest of my armies went against vampires/empire/Couronne. Archaon has been defeated. Empire has two settlements left. Skarsnik has conquered the badlands and some of the desert. And I just need a random assortment of major settlements and three dwarf settlements way up in the north for long victory.

Why do I have to capture Itza/Naggarond/Hexoatl etc. as Skarsnik? Doesn't make sense. Also, I think I prefer the Tomb king recruitment system. Where your troops are limited by buildings. Here I could just build a building and recruit as many giants/spiders as I wanted. Kinda lame, as it makes lower tier units obsolete relatively early on. I only played two campaigns but in general I think this games biggest issue is that after around turn 40 it just goes into autopilot mode with low chances of something upsetting the player. Still it's a really solid and fun game. The visuals, presentation and basic gameplay are good enough that it makes you try out all the races. Also orc shamans are bosses. One of the more exciting battles in my campaign was Grimgor getting ambushed by two beastmen stacks. Auto resolve was terrible for me, and after a few tries I won the battle, with my orc shaman racking up 400 kills with all his AoE.

Nathir

Liturgist
Why do I have to capture Itza/Naggarond/Hexoatl etc. as Skarsnik? Doesn't make sense. Also, I think I prefer the Tomb king recruitment system. Where your troops are limited by buildings.
you want SFO.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=11496

Maybe, although is there a reason you linked me to a Skyrim mod? :)

Might do a Vortex campaign next. Lizardmen look interesting.

Also, the dark elves from HOMMV were such a Druchii rip off. I've just realized this now, after discovering Warhammer. As a kid, I always thought how creative they were in transforming a town of random monsters from 3 into a working society of sorts. But they literally just copied warhammer Dark elves. The tier 4 unit literally rides cold ones, lmao.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom