Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

What? Lightning Strike is in the Blue Line. The only skill after lightning strike is the one that generally gives you +movement/-upkeep/+ranks. If you are getting lightning strike you should absolutely be getting that, +movement and -upkeep are some of the best bonuses in the game to begin with and +ranks is just a cherry ontop. But its only +1 rank so not really good enough to be "rushed". If you want to stack +recruit ranks it usually involves tech + rituals + buildings + heroes. Stacking ranks gives increasing returns since rank 2 is pretty easy to level normally but rank 9 requires way more xp, and recruiting at least rank 7 units is exceptional since they'll immediately benefit from the 2nd tier red line abilities.

But yeah, you should always spend the first point on +10% movement, then generally the next 4-7 on the appropriate red skills. Exception if you have a lord who has some insane casting abilities (Wurrzag comes to mind), or its an area with very easy battles but hard to maintain public order (in which case public order bonuses and more movement can help). For example as Imrik I went blue just because moving around quickly and maintaining public order to prevent slowing down my blitzkrieg of Snikch and the minor factions in that corner of the map was more important than some fairly minor bonuses that I didn't need to wipe them out, assuming I was quick.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I also prefer Closer To Tabletop with unit caps over SFO, especially if you want something not as massive and invasive.

CTT, Unnatural Selection 2, and No Confederations are my essentials for every campaign.
I think SFO is nice if you crave more campaign mechanics for each race, whereas the battles are "what if everything had super units." Personally, I just find CTT more rewarding to play.

Olinser

Savant
What? Lightning Strike is in the Blue Line. The only skill after lightning strike is the one that generally gives you +movement/-upkeep/+ranks. If you are getting lightning strike you should absolutely be getting that, +movement and -upkeep are some of the best bonuses in the game to begin with and +ranks is just a cherry ontop. But its only +1 rank so not really good enough to be "rushed". If you want to stack +recruit ranks it usually involves tech + rituals + buildings + heroes. Stacking ranks gives increasing returns since rank 2 is pretty easy to level normally but rank 9 requires way more xp, and recruiting at least rank 7 units is exceptional since they'll immediately benefit from the 2nd tier red line abilities.

But yeah, you should always spend the first point on +10% movement, then generally the next 4-7 on the appropriate red skills. Exception if you have a lord who has some insane casting abilities (Wurrzag comes to mind), or its an area with very easy battles but hard to maintain public order (in which case public order bonuses and more movement can help). For example as Imrik I went blue just because moving around quickly and maintaining public order to prevent slowing down my blitzkrieg of Snikch and the minor factions in that corner of the map was more important than some fairly minor bonuses that I didn't need to wipe them out, assuming I was quick.

Blue line, yes, sorry got mah colors mixed up.

1*zmHKAMmdNBGNWyjDwJS7pg.jpeg

And it can be different for each factions. Most lords have lightning strike as the 1 point after 4 points in the first group and the +rank per point after that (3 points max), in the BLUE Line. So you're looking at 9 points to get +3 recruit rank (1 for the +10 move, 4 for the first group, 1 for the 1 skill gate, then 3 for the actual +rank skill). COLOSSAL waste of points, especially in the early game. Late game maybe, but there are plenty of alternatives to get gold recruits that don't involve wasting lord points (or wasting them on only your defense monkey lord).

Well yellow line is mostly useless to begin with (except on caster lords with good lores), the red line is useless to take early on past the first tier since the later skills only affect rank 7 or higher units which you won't get for a long time, so why would you not go for the blue line fairly quickly?

Movement = good. Replenishment = good. -upkeep = good. Ambush chance = good.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Do the Servants of Chaos spawn indefinitely, or is there a limit?
The game drops like 8 stacks of them on my door step, and I really want to go conquer the Awakening, but I can't because I need armies protecting my settlements. The AI for once isn't just instantly killing off Warriors of Chaos, they've been running around for the last 50 turns, apparently doing nothing except destroy Norsca which was hilarious.

I wish they didn't make the Warriors of Chaos such cowards. They just run away and hide and spawn in more enemies.

Cromwell

Arcane
I need some noob help. I started to play WH 2 and fumbled about with queek but I dont know what the best way to go about the campaign is. My main problem as an absolute begienr is that I have no grasp of the priority to do things. I get war declared on me buy other rat tribes, and cant do nothing without some fucking elven army showin g up in boats and constantly threaten me, I cant kill all of them fast enough while still holding my 3 settlements and keeping my army supplied. It doesnt help that I have no idea what to research / build when but I thought I could figure that out on my own but I am under constant pressure from my enemies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Queek has something of a shitty start because to the left there's nothing but water and to the right there's lizard federation followed by endless dunes, while your terrain is cut in half by a mountain range.

Your top priority should be to wipe the fortress of dong (as is the beginning objective iirc) to remove at least one elf from the premises. You should also try to either blitz or confederate (confederation is preferred) the nearest weak-sauce Skaven clan to eliminate all the minor contenders. After that you have two concerns: the lizard federation (major concern) and Malus Darkblade's islands of elven faggotry (minor). No matter what happens, you should always expect the lizard federation to declare war on you any minute, so it's important to keep tabs on them and preferably strike out first before they form a critical blob. Malus otoh is best kept friendly because he's just about the only guy in the vicinity together with Eshin that you can trade with, and also because attacking his stupid islands is a pain in the ass. Malus also tends to declare war on the lizards somewhat often.

You also need to have two strong armies to always have the north and the south side of the mountain range covered at all times. Once you extend further and niggas may start coming for Yuatek by boats from across the ocean you might even need a third one just to protect the capital. And well, you'll probably need it anyway if you do the vortex rituals.

Also important - do NOT at any point go to war with the wood elf enclave and may God have mercy on your soul if you have the dumb idea of trying to attack their capital.

TBH I recommend restarting with a different hero/faction altogether. With Queek you're just setting yourself up for an eternal war against the lizards, because no matter where you go, there will be lizards. Even if you cross the fucking ocean there's nothing but lizards.

Cromwell

Arcane
Is there a way / mod to save formations I used in between battles? I am lazy and would like ti if I could save some unit super group as formation and only change that if necessary instead of having to bring them into formation in every fucking battle. Also, how viable is auto resolve in this game?

wahrk

Learned
Is there a way / mod to save formations I used in between battles? I am lazy and would like ti if I could save some unit super group as formation and only change that if necessary instead of having to bring them into formation in every fucking battle. Also, how viable is auto resolve in this game?

There is a mod on the steam workshop that allows you to save formations but I don’t have personal experience with it.

As for AR, it really depends on the faction (I don’t remember it being very friendly to Skaven, but that might have changed). There’s mods that attempt to help with that too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I need some noob help. I started to play WH 2 and fumbled about with queek but I dont know what the best way to go about the campaign is. My main problem as an absolute begienr is that I have no grasp of the priority to do things. I get war declared on me buy other rat tribes, and cant do nothing without some fucking elven army showin g up in boats and constantly threaten me, I cant kill all of them fast enough while still holding my 3 settlements and keeping my army supplied. It doesnt help that I have no idea what to research / build when but I thought I could figure that out on my own but I am under constant pressure from my enemies.
Do you mean Vortex campaign, or ME?

I haven't played Queek since the most recent map rework so I can't really give advice there (no Malus to fuck around with your nice corner position), but some general skaven tips:

- Get lots of food before taking a main settlement and get it up to level 4 or 5 every time. Saves insane amounts of time and money and gets you powerful units soon. Don't waste food on minor settlements unless you are absolutely overflowing. You can farm food from revolts. You can intentionally lose your starting settlement and retake it in order to boost it to a much higher starting level.
- The skaven undercity mechanic is very powerful long term, since you can have it spread on its own to nearby settlments and then give free food/income. Basically just get an engineer out on the field soon and have them seed a few undercities around the map, they'll grow like weeds. Theoretically you can have hundreds of thousands of income even if you are forced to hole up in a single settlement for 200 turns. They are kind of like Dark Elves in that they can scale up well even on few settlements (though its way slower for them than dark elves).
- For skaven especially having walls everywhere is very powerful. Skaven are incredibly potent defensively if they have an army that can come in time to relieve the siege, since they have the ability to ambush when on the offensive. This allows them to 2v1 (your army + the settlment army) against anyone sieging their cities even if there are other armies around. The AI really can't cope with this.

Cromwell

Arcane
Do you mean Vortex campaign, or ME?

vortex. But I jump around factions to see how they play. The mod that was mentioned above helped me a lot. Now I try to find out which stats are good against which and which units are useful since so far I am shit at battles.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You shift left click then drag mouse to deploy units. And then you can use that keyboard combination to move all of them into direction.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
How much depth is there to this game? Trying out the Steam free weekend, and it seems pretty simplistic in the beginning at least? Is there depth to both tactical and strategic layer?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not really. The strategic layer is as basic as it gets (you get gold to get buildings that get you more gold or new units), while the tactics revolve around one or multiple of the following: rock-paper-scissors, micro, nukes, cheese.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How much depth is there to this game? Trying out the Steam free weekend, and it seems pretty simplistic in the beginning at least? Is there depth to both tactical and strategic layer?
I'd say the depth would be completely fine, except the ai is braindead so there's no real opportunity/purpose to pull off any advanced manoeuvres and even if you do, you'll feel like you're cheating.

Darkforge

Augur
Sieges are shit, AI is shit, otherwise, it's good, but I do not play Vanilla.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom