Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

BrotherJayne

Novice
Frig, I hope they do the Skaven justice with their campaign mechanics.

I read someone's theorycraft that it would make sense to have a primary city for your clan (Skavenblight, Hell Pit, Under-Altdorf, Black Chasm, City of Pillars, etc), and then you infiltrate and build underneath other folk's cities to farm resources (food, material, slaves, etc). Infiltrating said cities gives you an exit point for your armies, and in the case of ruined cities, you actually settle in and build up industry.

If another race comes along and tries to repopulate the ruins, you either spring an ambush and let the cat (rat?) out of the bag, or opt to retreat into the under empire and revert to the lesser infiltrated city status.

... I kinda doubt it'll be that cool though. But fuck it, Skaven! Woo!

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The problem is that the campaign map mechanics of Warscape are, after all, rather limited. The mechanics for Norsca are just slightly changed razing/sacking for example. I don't think they could make a faction with odd settlement behavior.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
0nadctev9qfz.jpg

CA posted this on reddit. Looks like Skaven are all but confirmed.

There are a lot more individual factions than I expected . My one concern is how long turns will take if this in integrated into a grand campaign at some point.

Edit: Maybe BrotherJayne was on to something with respect to a ruins mechanic.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Including the Southlands is pretty hardcore. Now the game covers basically the same parts of the map as the Geheimnisnacht mod for CK2.

CA has been amazingly neckbeardy when it comes to creating new lore so I'm really looking forward to how they handled these basically unknown parts of the map.

e: They even have Albion on the map.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are a lot more individual factions than I expected . My one concern is how long turns will take if this in integrated into a grand campaign at some point.
You mean with the first game?
I think it was said somewhere that they would reduce the number of minor factions in that case.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I think it was said somewhere that they would reduce the number of minor factions in that case.
Yes, my understanding is that they want to join both games at some point into a grand campaign (can't remember where I saw this though).

Reducing minor factions is an interesting option, but I almost hope they allow an option to keep all the factions in.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Some of those are placeholder factions for Tomb Kings and possibly Araby/Dogs of War etc.

Vibalist

Arcane
The problem is that the campaign map mechanics of Warscape are, after all, rather limited. The mechanics for Norsca are just slightly changed razing/sacking for example. I don't think they could make a faction with odd settlement behavior.

They'll probably give the Skaven some sort of burrowing mechanic like Beastmen/Greenskins, possibly more advanced. But no more than that.

Beastro

Arcane
Implying video games should value realism. "Realism = good game" is a fallacy and has nothing to do with games. More often than not it's just a marketing tool targeted at dumb people.

It's similar to "Based on a true story" in movies and how that is only very loosely true at best.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
German game magazine allegedly has information on the Skaven game mechanics: http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/tota...-die-skaven-sind-das-vierte-volk,3318466.html
A reddit thread had a English summary, but take as you will: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6u3dd2/german_website_gamestar_dropped_infos_on_skaven/

The text of the reddit user's post (Celestyr) states,
A quick summary for non-germans:

invisible cities: other factions see the cities as ruins, and are in for a bad surprise if they come to plunder the "ruins"

Food: skaven always need food. u get it for victories conquest etc. some cities can produce Food, but not all. good food supply improves moral and order, low food supplies can "cripple ur empire badly"

the menace from below: before a battle we can use food to get more Special abilities in battle. For example: summon more rats on the battlefield. ability charges will be influenced by skaven-CORRUPTION

skaven-corruption lowers public order, including ur own!!!

loyality: Keep ur generals happy with items, strong troops, victories etc. otherwise they get unhappy and will try to from their own sub-faction.
BrotherJayne, you were partly right it seems.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Yes, my understanding is that they want to join both games at some point into a grand campaign (can't remember where I saw this though).

Reducing minor factions is an interesting option, but I almost hope they allow an option to keep all the factions in.

I think they said that the joined map will be a (slightly) simplified version of the original maps, not an exact reproduction of the two (three) campaign maps.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I gotta admit, that hellpit abomination looks pretty cool. Might remove the game from inventory after being thoroughly disappointed with the first Total Warhammer game, simply because I adore those pesky little rats.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That sounds weird. Why would anyone spread their corruption then if it will only lead to your provinces revolting in your face?
I mean, it's not like you can keep enough armies around to occupy all your provinces (at least not with the factions I played so far).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
That sounds weird. Why would anyone spread their corruption then if it will only lead to your provinces revolting in your face?
I mean, it's not like you can keep enough armies around to occupy all your provinces (at least not with the factions I played so far).
As far as I understand, you use food to quickly gain public order, and so you can offset corruption penalty via food. It sounds like Chaos or Vampiric corruption with an extra step. One upside is that it sounds like you have another way to trigger rebellions. In my experience, rebellions were an easy way to obtain legendary lord levels and gold in the early turns. This mechanic sounds like a nice way to spread corruption and farm rebellions.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

I'm sure they will balance it, but it's very fitting for the Skaven. Treacherous to each other, constantly infighting and backstabbing and only "loyal" as long as they are coerced.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's because they ravage theirs provinces they screw themselves up a bit. Thus they would get Skaven infighting. And likely if you defeat rebel army, you'd get theirs own supplies which you can use to quickly build cities.

Skaven can rapidly improve theirs cities by investing food. And they get food from supply train of defeated armies. Or by plundering villages. Or some relatively small amount by theirs own effort. When they have plenty of food they are happy and the devastation of country they caused don't bother them that much. Low stockpiles would be crippling.

You should be probably more worried about some less than loyal generals, they can found theirs own splinter faction and then what would you do?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is the food mechanic based in lore? I never pictured the Skaven as obsessed with food, only with warpstone.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually considering they released that much, what would be content of Warhammer 3? They would VERY likely release Tomb Kings as DLC, or do the same as they did with Chaos Warriors.

But after this they would have only east part of the map. And there are nearly NO sources for Cathay, or Nipon. When they would invent theirs own stuff, there would be really funny problem for law department.

CQOmg9b.jpg

There is a small map of the whole world, and as you can see it would be really hard to do something which will not piss of fans who can remember every foot note from source books.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Actually considering they released that much, what would be content of Warhammer 3? They would VERY likely release Tomb Kings as DLC, or do the same as they did with Chaos Warriors.

But after this they would have only east part of the map. And there are nearly NO sources for Cathay, or Nipon. When they would invent theirs own stuff, there would be really funny problem for law department.
My bet is Nagash, Chaos Dwarves, and demon armies (demons of Khorne, Nurgle, etc) for Warhammer 3, and perhaps do an End Times campaign.

Updated map for Ratbros.
vortex_map_w_factions_final_skaven_fulres.jpg

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
My bet is Nagash, Chaos Dwarves, and demon armies (demons of Khorne, Nurgle, etc) for Warhammer 3, and perhaps do an End Times campaign.

Updated map for Ratbros.

With Ogre Kingdoms DLC. Maybe it will be more like Napoleon, focusing on Nagash and transitions the game towards the End Times?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom