Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Holy shieeeeeeeet
Its a CA community manager and CA dev
on4y5ieqx4rb1.jpg

Caim

Arcane
Senior leadership will get paid instead, in the form of golden parachutes.

The actual staff however will be promoted to customer very soon.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Sad thing is, it might as well mean the end of CA as we know it. Depends on SEGA I guess.
They will probably spew Pharaoh (which might become a total flop as well - a lot of people are just uninterested in the setting) and few last DLC's for Warhammer III. I wouldn't be surprised if that will be the end of the ride.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Good fucking riddance I would say. I would happily exchange the current CA for a slightest hope of possible incline.

Elttharion

Learned
Sad thing is, it might as well mean the end of CA as we know it. Depends on SEGA I guess.
They will probably spew Pharaoh (which might become a total flop as well - a lot of people are just uninterested in the setting) and few last DLC's for Warhammer III. I wouldn't be surprised if that will be the end of the ride.
I dont think so, all they need to do is announce 40K Total War.

copebot

Learned
Their biggest problem is just existing in the UK. I can understand the company's perspective: you get to employ skilled workers for janitor wages (the people who put honey into bottles on an assembly line down the road from me probably make more in a year than the average senior software engineer in the UK), but if you are British, there is no reason whatsoever unless you own property to continue to live and work in the UK if you have software skills. At the very least, any of them could be working remotely for US companies for dollars and be UK-rich.

Hyenas was just one of these corporate embezzlement projects that are a matter of course in corporate life. If the shareholders let them do it, if the parent company management is letting them do it, nothing is stopping them from doing it.

I haven't played much of it, but Pharaoh seems great so far. I think the only issue I have with it so far is that it suffers from the WH3 launch issue of every-battle-is-a-settlement-battle.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hot take - people are too harsh on Pharaoh and the low player count + low score are more indicative of factors outside of the game. Not that I've played it, but it seems as competent as it can be given the parameters and resources CA gave to the Sofia team. The AI is beyond shit, though, there's no excuse for that anymore. It is going to flop, too bad they doomed themselves by having an edition which includes 3 DLCs + a campaign. The only way to salvage it is to combine it with Troy's map and give myth units to the Egyptians/Hittites/Canaanites to channel Age of Mythology and market it that way. It's obviously not going to appeal to historical fans anyway, the damage is already done, so why bother? Make it a better fantasy game than WH3, I know CA Sofia can do it and the ground work is already present.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Nah, people just don't give a shit about ancient Egypt.

People do but they don't give a shit about or even know of about the surrounding civilisations at all, which makes it a bad setting for a strategic game pitting different civilisations/nations against each other.

Ancient Egypt makes more sense for an RPG or a city builder.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'd say most people who are interested in playing an ancient Egypt RTS know about the Hittites, Canaanites, Mesopotamians, etc.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'd say most people who are interested in playing an ancient Egypt RTS know about the Hittites, Canaanites, Mesopotamians, etc.
That may be so, but that is a microscopic part of the population. I responded to the claim about lack of interest in ancient Egypt as opposed to lack of interest in ancient Egypt as an RTS setting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Even if only 0.01% of the earth's population is interested in whatever you say, that's still 800 000, more than any TW title's peak player count.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I’d have been interested in this game if handled differently. As it stands, some personal nitpicks for varietys sake:

-Hate hp pools, i can tolerate them better in warhammer because its fantasy but seeing a regiment of half naked egyptian dudes run forth tanking volleys of arrows with no one dropping because hp pool isnt depleted is too much.

-Random army buffs as rewards, particularly for sea people. Oh no sea people have raised some cities and now their basic thrash unit has buffed stats on par with your elite troops! Which brings me to…

-Sea people. Personal preference i guess since a lot of what we suppose about them is theoretical but i see them more as a swarm of locusts which alongside whatever climate catastrophe was happening at the time disrupted the trade and supply network needed to sustain civilised society and expensive toys like chariot regiments. There should be an emphasis on keeping your collapsing economy together and maintaining your armies against a relentless tide of refugee (we have enough evidence to at least affirm sea people were not organised invaders and took their women and kids with them) hordes of various quality.
Thus the idea that sea people are just reskinned chaos warrior armies goes against why id find it interesting to fight them.

Really makes me reminisce about medieval 2, like how you could upgrade troops with better armor and weapons and that would be reflected in your units visuals, or how in empire you could tech musicians to help with marching or unlock socket bayonet so your dudes werent so helpless in melee.
Now its all random buffs and numbers going for no discernable reason, just make it fantasy already since you’re halfway there and the power of hope or whatever is apparently a measurable metric giving your melee infantry +40 armor and melee defense.

I hope there is never a medieval 3, modern CA just doesn’t know how to do historical games anymore.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Even if only 0.01% of the earth's population is interested in whatever you say, that's still 800 000, more than any TW title's peak player count.

You seem to miss the obvious bit that out of those 800k only 1% like to play total war games.

Seriously you should not be looking at hardcore fans of a historic period to correlate that with game sales, instead look at all strategy game fans and see how many of them are at least casual fans of the time period/sertting.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
No marketing
Looks like fucking garbage
Boring setting with half naked dudes with spears fighting other half naked dudes with spears
Neither realistic nor fantastic enough to please either side
Stronk women

It's someone's pet project and it's gonna fucking tank.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Their biggest problem is just existing in the UK. I can understand the company's perspective: you get to employ skilled workers for janitor wages (the people who put honey into bottles on an assembly line down the road from me probably make more in a year than the average senior software engineer in the UK), but if you are British, there is no reason whatsoever unless you own property to continue to live and work in the UK if you have software skills. At the very least, any of them could be working remotely for US companies for dollars and be UK-rich.

Hyenas was just one of these corporate embezzlement projects that are a matter of course in corporate life. If the shareholders let them do it, if the parent company management is letting them do it, nothing is stopping them from doing it.

I haven't played much of it, but Pharaoh seems great so far. I think the only issue I have with it so far is that it suffers from the WH3 launch issue of every-battle-is-a-settlement-battle.

If you could code decently, why the fuck would you work in games anyway?

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah, people just don't give a shit about ancient Egypt.

People do but they don't give a shit about or even know of about the surrounding civilisations at all, which makes it a bad setting for a strategic game pitting different civilisations/nations against each other.

Ancient Egypt makes more sense for an RPG or a city builder.
This. Egypt works as a setting for a city builder because the architecture, engineering, farming, etc was cool. But not their military. No one is interested in a game were 90% of the units are chariots and half naked niggers with sticks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom