Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

I mean that's kind of possible everywhere. Louen can decide to attack Karl just by random chance and pretty significantly fuck up your game. The dwarves could randomly decide to pick a fight with Gelt before. I had this happen while playing Markus where Alberic attacked me despite there being a minor 1 province Tzeentch faction literally occupying the capital of the region he owned.

I don't think any campaign is really unwinnable though if you make a decision to hunker down and wait for growth/XP and an opportunity. Although maybe with Vlad it'd be hard because he respawns in 1 turn and with the dead rise can randomly get an almost full army after you beat him.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I mean that's kind of possible everywhere. Louen can decide to attack Karl just by random chance and pretty significantly fuck up your game. The dwarves could randomly decide to pick a fight with Gelt before. I had this happen while playing Markus where Alberic attacked me despite there being a minor 1 province Tzeentch faction literally occupying the capital of the region he owned.
As a player in TW games you always have to make sure that all your neighbors are always in war with someone. If the AI isn't in a war, it will (semi) randomly declare war on someone after a few turns. It's also very cheap to ask an AI not in a war, to declare war on someone. So you have the situation where your enemies pay your (neutral/friendly) neighbors to declare war on you.

So don't ignore diplomacy. If an AI next to you isn't in a war, pay it to declare war on someone, before someone else does.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Karl's problem was that you had to keep the Elector Counts alive, but they aren't good at keeping themselves alive. Hunkering down doesn't work, his starting situation was literally a puzzle which had 1 solution and it didn't always work due to the random nature of some things.

You never really had to keep the electors alive. If you didn't you're just back to playing normal TW with enemies everywhere

So don't ignore diplomacy. If an AI next to you isn't in a war, pay it to declare war on someone, before someone else does.
That's nice and all but ai inclinations are really random. Sometimes factions that should be friendly want 10k for an NAP or to join a war vs someone they hate nearby. I check the quick deals screen most turns to see when they are willing to do things but it still happens

Hydro

Educated
You may be confusing RoR with the Empire elector count units, which take 15 turns (less with some tech/progression stuff) to refresh. Dwarves get kind of the same thing with grudge units and a few other factions have similar special but not unique units (blessed lizardmen is another one I can recall).

You may be confusing RoR with the Empire elector count units, which take 15 turns (less with some tech/progression stuff) to refresh. Dwarves get kind of the same thing with grudge units and a few other factions have similar special but not unique units (blessed lizardmen is another one I can recall).

Actually you are right. I was thinking of the elector count units.

EDIT:
Btw you can spend Prestige and get all the elector count units cool down refreshed.

Currently Empire maschinations is way too OP.

A lot of the elector count units are kind of bad. They cost more for not much effect and you get too few of them. Even with Karl who boosts them, what real advantage are you going to gain from 1 slightly better swordsman unit every 15 turns? The list of good units that can make a difference with only 1 or 2 in your army are steam tank, mortar, grenade launcher outriders.

Minecrawler

Educated
I hate how disjointed every mechanic is. KF as an emperor can't interact with the gunnery school, can't interact with colleges of magic. Why would I want to play as the emperor? For magic "+growth" and "heckin avengers assemble" buttons? What does the elector count status even mean? ECs themselves don't participate in the EC system. They can't even limit who receives their units and when.
Meanwhile, there's a race with nearly perfect (for Total War) political campaign mechanics: chorfs. Taken straight from RTW I, with central SPQR faction in the capital and three other competing for power. Every faction works within the same framework.

Now, Elspeth. They sure tried every trick in the book to make her the most played lord of the empire and in general. How did I miss her having a "Death Warlock-engineer Elector Countess of Nuln" title? Who are "amethyst units" and where are "golden units" for Balthasar? They made a huge fuss about simple repeater rifles for infantry units only to release sneaky stealthy mortars firing purple suns and similar buffoonery.
Teleport system, dragons, Nagash levels of death magic? Somehow getting elector count steam tanks from turn 1 via the tech tree?
Just slap more new OP crap on top of pre existing OP crap. You go girl.

Gunnery school as a concept is cool (without the amethyst nonsense), but I'm not sure I could take more than one campaign with this bald CA pet.
"Perhaps Gelt lusts for my power" - yeah, fuck off. Next time I will be burning you at the stake as Volkmar, who didn't get anything of the above.

Volkmar was the strongest lord before just because of his books (+8 MA/MD being the huge one), huge buffs to some early game units and faction bonuses to Arch Lectors. He's certainly not the strongest now (and you probably want to run engineer lords now rather than arch lectors), but he's still reasonably strong. Also every empire faction benefits from the reworked building/tech/redlines which make them overall stronger than before.

If you want to see an absolutely fucked lord look to Markus. Getting +25% enemy weapon strength and -5 public order faction-wide half the time is so incredibly awful. In return he gets... a random selection of 2-3 high tier units every 10-15 turns. Meanwhile everyone else just buys the better elector count versions lol.

Sloul

Savant
Amethyst units are very limited though. And actually so costly - it looks like upkeep reductions don't work on them - that vanilla units are probably the goto anyway.

A lot of the elector count units are kind of bad. They cost more for not much effect and you get too few of them. Even with Karl who boosts them, what real advantage are you going to gain from 1 slightly better swordsman unit every 15 turns? The list of good units that can make a difference with only 1 or 2 in your army are steam tank, mortar, grenade launcher outriders.
Biggest advantage with RoR and elector count is that they are instant.

That's a giant advanatage to have over factions that don't have them.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Should've given us Emmanuelle XV von Liebwitz, Grand Countess of Wissenland, Countess of Nuln and Duchess of Meissen as FLC
1715275569199.png

Played some Nurgle:

- Nurgle magic and the nurgle army ability kind of pigeonholes you into taking SEMs because it heals really well but doesn't resurrect models.
- Beasts of Nurgle are stupidly cheap for their power level. 200 Upkeep, 42 MA/48 MD effective, can't be flanked (so full MD from all sides), 20% phys resist, regenerates, and is fairly small and hard to hit/shoot. With full red stat line, tech and XP it hits something like 60 MA/70 MD effective which is stupidly OP since they don't suffer the MD penalty from being flanked, it's practically unhittable in melee by anything other than lords and top tier anti-large units. It's hilarious that these are priced the same as 2.5 nurglings. Really just spam as many of them as you can and you tend to win, I don't think there's any other race that can make a doomstack from tier 2 units lmao. Makes lizardmen look like chumps.
- The cycle system is... weird. Funny enough if you want to get beasts of nurgle as fast as possible you want to not upgrade past tier 2 since later tiers are less efficient units and it takes time to cycle through them. But you also get an assload of infections that can be spent to instantly rush through cycles and accrue a ton of units. Then you instantly (0 turn) recruit those beasts of nurgle anywhere you want to respond to any attacks. Sure they start at like half health but they regen. Tier 3 is OK since you probably want a few soul grinders since they are fairly fast and function as artillery. Tier 4/5 is Toad Dragons + Great Unclean ones which are technically better units but 3x the price and if you only have 1 or 2 they'll be sniped hard due to being so big. So not that useful IMO.
- The fact that defensive walls also provide +1 cultists and exalted champion recruitment is a thing to be abused hard. Both are great to have at least one in every army.

Its funny, I feel like the way the cycle system is designed makes a good case for varied armies that mix a lot of units. But the actual game mechanics, fact that you can rush stages, and unit imbalance means your armies are ideally like 1/4th heroes, 1/4th soul grinders, 1/2 beasts of nurgle and you don't have to compromise that composition past the early game

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Why are they even selling the three new characters individually?
It's for people who "I don't give a fuck about Cathay/Tzeentech/Kislev but you are forcing me to buy coz that 1 faction I want is bundled with the other 2 garbages"
Just use CreamAPI if you haven't noticed that it works on a Steam version with no need for additional files or modifications.

I'm going to post periodic reminders into this thread.

Minecrawler

Educated
Should've given us Emmanuelle XV von Liebwitz, Grand Countess of Wissenland, Countess of Nuln and Duchess of Meissen as FLC
Should have given her in ToD, instead of gorlock the destroyer who occupies her place.
Her proper regular mercenaries would also be much better than magic-death "mercenaries".
But asking CA to create a mortal human lord who has to rely on bodyguards and can't solo entire armies is too much in 2024.
Especially if it is a female lord.

If you want to see an absolutely fucked lord look to Markus. Getting +25% enemy weapon strength and -5 public order faction-wide half the time is so incredibly awful. In return he gets... a random selection of 2-3 high tier units every 10-15 turns. Meanwhile everyone else just buys the better elector count versions lol.
Hey, Markus wasn't completely forgotten.
They used him as an inspiration for the chieftains mechanic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom