Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hate Planescape Torment.

I like the writing but hate the gameplay. First, they could easily pick the spells from Infinity Engine games and CTRL C + CTRL V in the game, but no, they decided to ... FF7 style cinematic spells in a RtWP game.

Humbaba

Arcane

d7kvyue-faa7c9e3-667b-4ef3-a9d2-04c092c30ed6.jpg

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
  • Pathfinder : Kingmaker = Good adaptation of a good ruleset
  • Pathfinder : WoTR = Good adaptation of a good ruleset
  • Solasta : Crown of the Magister = Good adaptation of a bad ruleset.
  • Baldur's Gate 3 = Bad adaptation of a bad ruleset.
  • Sword Coast Legends = Awful adaptation of a bad ruleset.
  • Baldur's Gate 2 = Bad adaptation of a good ruleset.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw never understood why people love mask of the betrayer so much. Bald wommynz are so fucking ugly.

Hex

Vaccines are safe and effective against hospitalization.

Wait...
EDIT: But unironically.
EDIT2: MRNA vaccines specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
  • Realms Beyond = Hypothetical adaptation of a good ruleset

Zlaja

Arcane
  • Realms Beyond = Hypothetical adaptation of a good ruleset

• Ultima 8 = Trollish adaptation of jumping sections
  • Morrowind = Balanced adaptation of flying enemies
  • Might & Magic 6 = Genocide adaptation of a party based combat system

Goldschmidt

Learned

I like the writing but hate the gameplay. First, they could easily pick the spells from Infinity Engine games and CTRL C + CTRL V in the game, but no, they decided to ... FF7 style cinematic spells in a RtWP game.

You do know that PST has not to be taken seriously right? It is a parody on the western rpg. It surprises me the codex elite doesn't seem to get that, thinking they are reading the next grandmaster philosopher.

laclongquan

Arcane

Blame the fashion of the time. Around that time every studio and their dogs want to do FMV cutscene. No FMV? Gaming journalist would jump up and down called you no-fmv peasants. note many game's video button right at top menu: that's to show how much FMV they have in their game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Blame the fashion of the time. Around that time every studio and their dogs want to do FMV cutscene. No FMV? Gaming journalist would jump up and down called you no-fmv peasants. note many game's video button right at top menu: that's to show how much FMV they have in their game.

I would argue that the Mechanus cannon is one of the best parts of PST (there are a few other moments like the Deionarra conversation). You're literally opening a transdimensional portal to smite your enemies with a hyperbeam. It's hilarious. Kind of like the ultimate wizard "Eat shit!" spell in terms of presentation.

dacencora

OwlCat critiques can't name a single modern RPG which implements a good ruleset in a CRPG and give dozens of classes and races to chose from, with a vast world to explore and a interesting campaign different than "go save the world".
:nocountryforshitposters:

Owlcat games being the only modern games that offer all that does not make them good by default. Knights of the Chalice is a far better implementation with more engaging gameplay and more interesting encounters, however it is more than 10 years old, and has limits on class and race. If only somebody would make a better game with more interesting encounters than Owlcat. The class list and build variety is good in both Kingmaker and WOTR, too bad there are very few encounters that make all that building worthwhile.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You're literally opening a transdimensional portal to smite your enemies with a hyperbeam. It's hilarious. Kind of like the ultimate wizard "Eat shit!" spell in terms of presentation.

I honestly prefer less flashy but yet powerful spells. Spells like Death Clutch, Ice prison, Boneshatter for eg.

Knights of the Chalice is a far better implementation with more engaging gameplay and more interesting encounters, however it is more than 10 years old, and has limits on class and race.

You should check KoTC2. Pierre added a lot of classes and races, and wizard specializations. If PF:WoTR and PF:KM are the modern Baldur's Gate, KoTC 1/2 is the modern Dark Sun : Shattered Lands/Wake of the Ravager. About KoTC2. It has 22 classes : https://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Title.htm

------------------------------

Here is a triggering fact. KoTC2 will never launch in steam/gog, cuz Pierre hates money. :despair:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Let me rephrase this:
  • Pathfinder : Kingmaker = Good adaptation of a loading simulator.
  • Pathfinder : WoTR = Woke adaptation of ... what is it supposed to be exactly?
  • Solasta : Crown of the Magister = Good implementation of a fast travel system, seriously, navigating a city is so painful they had to implement fast travel to interesting NPC, it's the first time i wish a game had city menus instead.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You're literally opening a transdimensional portal to smite your enemies with a hyperbeam. It's hilarious. Kind of like the ultimate wizard "Eat shit!" spell in terms of presentation.

I honestly prefer less flashy but yet powerful spells. Spells like Death Clutch, Ice prison, Boneshatter for eg.

It's not all about you.

Btw, Owlcats is happy with the new Ice Prison DC and is going to hotfix it in Kingmaker too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is a very specific trigger aimed at like five people, Darth Canoli one of them:

They are Billions is an amazing game.
It is the best rts built around hyper turtiling, and basically an rts/tower defense/stealth game hybrid. It is pretty much the best single player tower defense game on the market.
I am happy that it succeeded, even if that is at the expense of Lords of Xulima. I would not be sad if Lords of Xulima 2 is never made, despite Lords of Xulima being an amazing game, as long as that means we get They Are Billions 2.
Tower Defense is an underrated genre in general, seeing my towers mowing down thousands of enemies never gets old.

lametta

Educated
Someone should talk to beamdog and get them to make an EE version of temple of elemental evil :incline:

ToEE EE just rolls of the tongue

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Someone should talk to beamdog and get them to make an EE version of temple of elemental evil :incline:
Can you imagine the kind of buggy mess that would result in? ToEE was bad enough with the bugs. It took DECADES to fix most of it. Throw cuckdog into the mix and it would be a blackhole of bugs that will destroy the planet!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom