Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
and the RPG industry

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Infinity Engine games are overrated and contributed to the generations of NPCs who keep claiming that RPGs are all about storyfaggotry and everything else is just padding.

IE games weren't storyfag games though... Well, only Planescape Torment was, but that game was shit and didn't sell anyway. Bioware storyfaggotry really began with KOTOR.

Deleted Member 16721

Baldur's Gate 2 sucks and should not be considered a top 10 CRPG. I probably already posted this which also triggers you. Double whammy.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The combat system of Gothic II/III, Risen, and Elex is garbage and completely ruins some otherwise good games with good faction systems. Oblivions combat system has more realism and depth than these games, and is a lot more intuitve. You run up to an enemy and start whacking. Elex? Well, let's run from every enemy and that's a feature! People bitch about the Gamebryo classics, but at least some games have the wisdom to make the challenge scale.

If I wanted to play a game with twitch mechanics and a crappy combat system, I'd play Ultima 8. Also, the endings of the above games never feel like anything was accomplished. Here is how you should finish a game
In an inspired twist, Fallout 3 takes you through the circle of life over the course of the game. It felt awesome to know that you were born in the game, you took your first steps, you spent time with your dad, you became a real person, you grow and learn, and in the end you have an awesome shootout with your nemesis - a guy who killed your dad I think - then YOU sacrifice everything to enter a code in a chamber to finish an important experiment. I know I'm not the only person who stood up and clapped at the end but just couldn't wait to start the game over and play the game differently as a different type of player!
Gothic/Elex/Risen? You just kind of finish the game and then wait for a sequel. May as well be playing Grand Theft Auto. Those Germans may make a fine car, but they should leave the worldbuilding, lore, and story to the professionals.

Cael

Arcane
What is an RPG?

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
No. Gunship 2000. You get to choose who to promote, who to give medals to, how many people in your party, what helicopters they flew, weapons they used, etc.

And in something sure to trigger the elitist fucks we have here: "The game received 5 out of 5 stars in Dragon.[17]"

That's right. DnD Dragon Mag gave it a 5/5.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Watch out ladies I just figured out that SoS was overwriting the XP32 skeletons because I had it to low in the MO load order. Once I moved it up all those awesome racemenu sliders loaded up.
It sounds as if you're looking for men in your game, what with sos and x32, you might prefer Shape Atlus For Men.
60093-5-1416385422.jpg

Ulfguard.jpg.9cf4bf593950a429f0a1473cadf2738a.jpg

60225-1-1416848345.jpg

tumblr_n7cdhmw2zc1tr3ii5o7_1280.png.1f20a62d0f5d3f4ab0b3c6e82529bbb9.png

Morkar Left

What is an RPG?

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
No. Gunship 2000. You get to choose who to promote, who to give medals to, how many people in your party, what helicopters they flew, weapons they used, etc.

And in something sure to trigger the elitist fucks we have here: "The game received 5 out of 5 stars in Dragon.[17]"

That's right. DnD Dragon Mag gave it a 5/5.

Gunship 2000 is so good it deserves to be an rpg!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom