Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by The Game Analists, Nov 14, 2016.

1. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Because it might lead to even more savescumming, is why.

Say: you have two targets. You are going to miss two of them even if standing 1/2/3 tile closer to them. but if you change to another tile and shoot one, you are going to miss him but hit the other. Thus this is the optimal step you are going to choose. All this require is ten reloads.

^ Top  
  2. jackofshadows Scholar

jackofshadows
    Because it's pointless. Player who wanna cheat/savescum will always find a way to do it and player who prefer playing by the rules won't see it. In any case, it's better to have flat skill checks than this and as for random in general it's better to make ironman mode and design the game around it at least to a degree than messing with RNG like in nuXCOM (without an option for it).

^ Top  
  3. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    The possibility to save when and where one wants and to restore the game state, exactly how one left it, should be a given in modern games, such as the possibility to pause or to quit the game in any moment. Imagine a game where you cannot quit or pause because this is against the "vision" of the developer.

The real reason of the save limitation in games is the incompetence of the developers that, having learned to program just by scripting third part engines, are not able to implement a proper saving system. And then, to hide their incompetence, they start talking about their "game vision" and how you should play the game.

Think about the explosion of rogue-likes (where you have to start from scratch or from checkpoints when you need to quit, since you cannot save) among indies in the last years. Do you think that it has happened for a genuine admiration by these zoomer developers towards rogue, nethack, moria and angband?.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alexander DeLarge Savant

Alexander DeLarge
    If STALKER 2 is a consolized piece of shit like some of you guys claim, it won't be due to controllers. STALKER totally could work on a controller.

• No No x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    Exactly. Also as a bonus your short indie game will appear much longer if the players need to repeat some tedious sections over and over because they can't save at the right moment!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Twiglard Savant

Twiglard
    Use a separate seed for each NPC and for each skill check at the start of the game.

^ Top  
  7. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    I Have Disgusting Opinions
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Then you can simply change the order of spells you cast on them. If you cast finger of death on an enemy and he rolls a natural 20, you can reload, throw a useless spell at him and then retry with finger of death to see if his next save is lower. You can chain this almost endlessly to discover when he will fail a save and then use the relevant spell at that moment.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Ironman mode just encourage conservative plays to save your life. No exploration if possible because encounter the unknown equal Dangers. It's not that good a system.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Thats why you use ironman in tactics games were you have a clearly defined goal, shit on the enemy as hard as possible.
    All it adds to rpgs is replay value when you have semi-perfect information about a game on your third playthrough and want to challenge yourself, like those people here than ran Wizardry 8 a dozen times.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    You can prevent savescumming by generating and assigning all the random seeds at the beginning of the game. This however does not prevent the basic savescumming: the player quit and start the game again.
    :martini:

^ Top  
  11. Twiglard Savant

Twiglard
    And how many turns are you willing to savescum for FoD on a single NPC?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    Best thing you can do to minimise save-scumming is by not allowing saving during combat. In games that you can save it encourages you to quick-load until you get the desired outcome (I think Atom RPG allowed you to save in this instance). When you can't save during combat (say, KOTC 1 since I've just finished playing it) it encourages you to try out different approaches and tactics. Sure, you can quick-load (and some battles I had to restart around 30-40 times) but the enemy will move and attack you differently so you will need to adapt.

In any case, any system we can all think of can be abused, whether it's assigning random seeds on the rolls at the beginning of the game or leaving it entirely up to chance on each reload. It's up to you as a player not to ruin your own fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    I've just finished Knights of the Chalice 2, so I guess as many as it takes.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Do the patches up to 1.3 make the game more stable? I tried 1.0 and decided it would be wiser to wait.

^ Top  
  15. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    I haven't tried 1.03, but 1.02 was stable enough for me. It only crashed when I tried do to crazy stuff like moving around the game window while it was loading a save. I had very few and tolerable in-game crashes.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've had a few crashes with 1.03. The game crashed twice during the Green/Grey Goblin battle, both times shortly after reinforcements were summoned.

I've also had a couple of random crashes.

No save corruption or anything serious though so far (touch wood).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MpuMngwana Learned

MpuMngwana
    • Funny x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Posting a link instead of the picture triggered me more than what it said.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  19. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    Well, I've had students born after the beginning of Dragon Age: Origins development.

Now, if he is talking about Inquisition, then that's really prestigious. :obviously:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. S0rcererV1ct0r Cipher

S0rcererV1ct0r
    I an 29 yo and my first CRPG was M&M VII. DA:O was launched in 2009. Not that old.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    Development started in 2002, just 3 years after the release of the original Baldur's Gate.

^ Top  
  22. Magnat Arcane Vatnik

Magnat
    Seven years in development and still full of cut content... :argh:

^ Top  
  23. Semiurge Learned

Semiurge
    In Dungeon Keeper I used to mass produce vampires by digging a small room and putting a locked door in front of it. Then created a bunch of imps in it and dropped a bile demon in, possessed it and gassed the imps to death with its farts. Then I would unlock the door and let the living imps drag the bodies to the graveyard.

• Creative Creative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    TITAN QUEST WILL NEVER DIE!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. eXalted Prophet

eXalted
    > Screenshot thread
    > What game are you wasting time on?
    > Really Obscure RPGs

These are the only quality threads you need to read on the codex.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.