Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Even if save scumming is that a big problem, you can random generate a "seed" and you will always roll "X", doesn't matter how much you reload. IDK why few games uses it....
Because it might lead to even more savescumming, is why.

Say: you have two targets. You are going to miss two of them even if standing 1/2/3 tile closer to them. but if you change to another tile and shoot one, you are going to miss him but hit the other. Thus this is the optimal step you are going to choose. All this require is ten reloads.

Use a separate seed for each NPC and for each skill check at the start of the game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Even if save scumming is that a big problem, you can random generate a "seed" and you will always roll "X", doesn't matter how much you reload. IDK why few games uses it....
Because it might lead to even more savescumming, is why.

Say: you have two targets. You are going to miss two of them even if standing 1/2/3 tile closer to them. but if you change to another tile and shoot one, you are going to miss him but hit the other. Thus this is the optimal step you are going to choose. All this require is ten reloads.

Use a separate seed for each NPC and for each skill check at the start of the game.
Then you can simply change the order of spells you cast on them. If you cast finger of death on an enemy and he rolls a natural 20, you can reload, throw a useless spell at him and then retry with finger of death to see if his next save is lower. You can chain this almost endlessly to discover when he will fail a save and then use the relevant spell at that moment.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ironman mode just encourage conservative plays to save your life. No exploration if possible because encounter the unknown equal Dangers. It's not that good a system.

Thats why you use ironman in tactics games were you have a clearly defined goal, shit on the enemy as hard as possible.
All it adds to rpgs is replay value when you have semi-perfect information about a game on your third playthrough and want to challenge yourself, like those people here than ran Wizardry 8 a dozen times.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
You can prevent savescumming by generating and assigning all the random seeds at the beginning of the game. This however does not prevent the basic savescumming: the player quit and start the game again.
:martini:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Then you can simply change the order of spells you cast on them. If you cast finger of death on an enemy and he rolls a natural 20, you can reload, throw a useless spell at him and then retry with finger of death to see if his next save is lower. You can chain this almost endlessly to discover when he will fail a save and then use the relevant spell at that moment.

And how many turns are you willing to savescum for FoD on a single NPC?

xuerebx

Erudite
Best thing you can do to minimise save-scumming is by not allowing saving during combat. In games that you can save it encourages you to quick-load until you get the desired outcome (I think Atom RPG allowed you to save in this instance). When you can't save during combat (say, KOTC 1 since I've just finished playing it) it encourages you to try out different approaches and tactics. Sure, you can quick-load (and some battles I had to restart around 30-40 times) but the enemy will move and attack you differently so you will need to adapt.

In any case, any system we can all think of can be abused, whether it's assigning random seeds on the rolls at the beginning of the game or leaving it entirely up to chance on each reload. It's up to you as a player not to ruin your own fun.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I've just finished Knights of the Chalice 2, so I guess as many as it takes.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Do the patches up to 1.3 make the game more stable? I tried 1.0 and decided it would be wiser to wait.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Do the patches up to 1.3 make the game more stable? I tried 1.0 and decided it would be wiser to wait.
I haven't tried 1.03, but 1.02 was stable enough for me. It only crashed when I tried do to crazy stuff like moving around the game window while it was loading a save. I had very few and tolerable in-game crashes.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I haven't tried 1.03, but 1.02 was stable enough for me. It only crashed when I tried do to crazy stuff like moving around the game window while it was loading a save. I had very few and tolerable in-game crashes.

I've had a few crashes with 1.03. The game crashed twice during the Green/Grey Goblin battle, both times shortly after reinforcements were summoned.

I've also had a couple of random crashes.

No save corruption or anything serious though so far (touch wood).

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Posting a link instead of the picture triggered me more than what it said.

54tu2JK.png

Semiurge

Cipher
In Dungeon Keeper I used to mass produce vampires by digging a small room and putting a locked door in front of it. Then created a bunch of imps in it and dropped a bile demon in, possessed it and gassed the imps to death with its farts. Then I would unlock the door and let the living imps drag the bodies to the graveyard.

eXalted

Arcane
> Screenshot thread
> What game are you wasting time on?
> Really Obscure RPGs

These are the only quality threads you need to read on the codex.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sad reality of how attributes works on most RPG's.
On old school games, like Dark Sun, you roll for attributes
On other, you train your STR/DEX like Gothic.
In others, you chose
And in modern games like WoW, your muscle mass and IQ is 100% tied to the fanciness of your boots.

4bicm4.jpg

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I an 29 yo and my first CRPG was M&M VII. DA:O was launched in 2009. Not that old.
This might be hard for your aged brain to understand, but things from over a decade ago are considered old by young people.

It's like those new whippersnapper 45BHP Smart cars turning their noses up at those 20yr old 250BHP trucks that their owners have tuned/modded to 600BHP+. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom